• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Dustin Poirier contemplating retirement after UFC 242 loss

Should Dustin Poirier retire?

• Total voters
I think thats why Tony Ferguson is so unique because ALL Khabibs opponents get taken down and try to get back up.

What happens when a guy like Tony embraces the take down and has elbows and strikes from the bottom mixed up with his scrambles/submissions.

Thats why that fight needs to happen. Tony gives zero fucks about where the fight goes. I think if he can get Khabib in his guard he can throw those hideous razor blade elbows
You and Eddie might be on to something....If anyone can cut Khabib open with a glancing elbow at LW it sure as hell is Ferg. Also sub attempts could at the very least lead to possible sweeps. And I'm not that guy who thinks Khabib doesn't have good Cardio. I just think Ferg's will be better. Khabib has Elite top control but who has he faced that is really an elite BJJ artist in the UFC. Not all black belts carry the same weight.

“Nobody is doing what he’s doing with his ground and pound, with his takedowns, with his ground control, and his smashing. He’s the best, probably of all time, really. It’s a tall order, but most people are running from Khabib when they’re on the ground,” Bravo said.
“They’re spending most of their time trying to get back up, trying to drag themselves up on the fence, and he just rides them and drags them down. That’s a good strategy in certain situations. But we’re going to turn around and attack him." - Bravo

“We’re going to thank him for taking Tony down, and we’re going to throw some fire at him. It’s going to be different. No one has done that.”- Bravo

"I’m sure [Khabib’s] defense is going to be tight. I’m sure he’s going to be studying rubber guard and all that, but we’re going to come there with fire,” he said. “We’re going to come right at him.” - Bravo
giphy.gif

Khabib's control and positioning may prove to be too much. Hopefully Tony can give Khabib some adversity at the very least and slice him open with an elbow.

Last edited:
He fought well. Khabib had his hands full.

Khabib ruins fighters. Only one guy went on to be successful after fighting him, RDA. And that is because RDA is an exceptional fighter himself.
I need to see him fight Tony.

Every fighter trains to avoid Khabibs TD and dedicates a camp to getting back up.

Tony is a man who will embrace the take down and fight from the bottom. he will go directly to his back and get Khabib in closed guard and smash his face with those hideous elbows. If Khabib can beat Tony then I will be the first to say he is the man and nobody else.

But we need to see Khabib handle a guy that is willing to go where he wants to go and destroy him there. Tony invents strikes and subs we never seen before.

Thing is Dustin doesn't want to fight for the sake of it like a Cowboy for example, Dustin's goal always was to be Champ but unfortunately for him the man standing in his way was Khabib and he realises as long as Khabib is still there his goal will not be accomplished so then he's either fighting for a paycheck like everyone else or just retires knowing his dream cannot come ttue.

Meanwhile he destroyed the 145 champ at 155. That's a huge huge thing

You and Eddie might be on to something....If anyone can cut Khabib open with a glancing elbow at LW it sure as hell is Ferg.

“Nobody is doing what he’s doing with his ground and pound, with his takedowns, with his ground control, and his smashing. He’s the best, probably of all time, really. It’s a tall order, but most people are running from Khabib when they’re on the ground,” Bravo said.
“They’re spending most of their time trying to get back up, trying to drag themselves up on the fence, and he just rides them and drags them down. That’s a good strategy in certain situations. But we’re going to turn around and attack him." - Bravo

“We’re going to thank him for taking Tony down, and we’re going to throw some fire at him. It’s going to be different. No one has done that.”- Bravo

"I’m sure [Khabib’s] defense is going to be tight. I’m sure he’s going to be studying rubber guard and all that, but we’re going to come there with fire,” he said. “We’re going to come right at him.” - Bravo
giphy.gif

Khabib's control and positioning may prove to be too much. Hopefully Tony can give Khabib some adversity at the very least and slice him open with an elbow.
Oh shit, great find man lol
Interesting, but yeah, I see Tony challenging Khabib at Khabibs own game because he is that crazy.

Oh shit, great find man lol
Interesting, but yeah, I see Tony challenging Khabib at Khabibs own game because he is that crazy.
Yeah people forget Tony is a pace/pressure fighter as well. What does Khabib look like when he is getting backed up by someone who isn't gassed and swinging for a hailmary KO? Hopefully Dana doesn't mess this up and both fighters can stay healthy.

Dustin would beat Mcgregor today so he should stay in the game

Dustin went in knowing he had no chance. Fought like it too.

He is capable of beating anyone else in the division, just not Khabib.

He better hope Tony takes out Khabib. That’s a way better fight for him

Both Dustin and Khabib have acknowledge the first guillotine was deep. Dustin said it was a mistake not to go full guard when he knew the choke was deep. I believe in Dustin's mind that was the missed opportunity to win the fight. So I don't think Dustin doubts himself against Khabib. He thinks he could have won.

Is that an "American" thing?

What God has in store for you?!
[2:190] “You may fight in the cause of GOD against those who attack you but do not aggress. GOD does not love the aggressors.”

Jesus these khabib fans on this site are being knobs, the dude lost the biggest fight of his life give him some slack

According to my scientific analysis every knobish Khabib fan is either a) a Conor hater b) a Russian c) a Muslim. So the hyper-dickishness makes total sense.

Dustin should keep his head up. It was really sad to see how dissappointed he was after the loss. He should be more positive. And he definitely has some more fighting in him although I don't know what's going on personally with him behind the scenes at the moment. I think a rematch with McGregor is the fight he should demand as this would be a good pay day as well as a winnable fight for him.

Dustin arguably gave Khabib his hardest fight ever, and came closer than anyone has to beating him.
-clipped Khabib with a punch that wobbled him for a moment, definitely the best punch anyone has landed on Khabib
-caught Khabib in a submission hold which was the most threatening we've seen done to Khabib

Poirier is upset now, and the memories of that helpless sensation Khabib gave him are fresh... but after a couple days his emotions will clear, and he will start to think about the things he did right in the fight, and the little technical things that he could have done differently, and he'll feel the urge to get back in the gym and try again

you can tell in the post-fight he wanted that victory bad. I gotta admit, i could feel a tear swell up in my own eyes listening to him describe the loss.

but great fight though, he has nothing to be ashamed of and he will see this as time passes.

Is he too big to make 145? He did beat a healthy Max
It would take quite some time. Putting on muscle and taking it off takes months. Fat is a lot easier to manipulate. I personally think he's better suited for 155. Also I'm not so sure, rank wise, he's ahead of max. He can beat him, sure, but I think he loses to some of the guys max beats. Course, that's just my opinion, it's yet to be seen

Dustin has mentioned that he respects fighters like Michael Bisping on one of the UFC promo videos. Maybe Dustin should keep on fighting for the belt like how Bisping did.

Back