Drunken Boxing/Capoeira?

ShogunOOORAH

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I train in muay thai etc. Im looking for another art to help work on my core. And Drunken Boxing has a lot of movements that can help with this along with Capoeira... Anyone on here try to do either of these?

u should just do more ab exercises....

I do abdominal exercises. I do them a lot. but Id like something different to help construct a stronger abdomen. They would also help balance etc.

Esh, it's a glitch on the board. In the Conditioning Discussion section there's a thread on Capoeira Conditioning, many of the exercises listed are relevant.

I don't know that anyone in America teaches "drunken boxing" to the degree of the original, authentic martial art other than the sport wushu-ized version.

Sure you could do capoeria, but why not just do gymnastics? There may be a dearth of capoeria schools depending where you live, but gyms are everywhere!

1. Buy crate of Stella Artois
2. Drink it
3. Go to local bar and call the biggest guy you see a fat whore

and there you have it, authentic drunken boxing

I guess for just a workout I can't really see how Capoeira would hurt as long as it doesn't take away from your Muay Thai training.

I trained in capoeira for a couple years at the ABADA school in New York under Mestre Bom Jesus. It's "regionale," the combat style of capoeira, as opposed to the dance style (angola).

I definitely agree it's a ridiculous workout, and anyone who trains in capoeira is going to develop excellent cardio. There's just no other martial art that demands such constant movement and places such an emphasis on escapes. It's not possible to "play" capoeira and remain stationary, and the formal sparring style demands combinations and improvisation.

But...at the same time, I'd just caution that you do a ginga in a match, you're gonna get your ass beat. It goes deeper than that, of course, but we're talking about a style with no blocks and no handstrikes whatsoever outside of taboo eye gauges. Some of the kicks are amazing, and the most basic ones are the same as other martial arts, but there are also an assload of impractical kicks and sweeps. And those esquivas (escapes) would leave you open to getting stomped or kicked in the head.

So I like capoeira as a workout, but I do think it could lead to some bad habits for anyone who would think about incorporating it into an MMA repertoire.

Is there anything KK doesn't know

Internal Combustion engines.
Guns.
How escrow works.

These are things I kick myself in the ass for never having learned.

The drunken boxing, original form from China, not the wushu version of high flying stunts, is hard to come bar. Drunken boxing would be excellent for ab work.

Internal Combustion engines.
Guns.
How escrow works.

These are things I kick myself in the ass for never having learned.

Have you trained at a Capoeira school or did you learn through the internet?

Reason I'm asking is because it's almost impossible to do it correctly unless you're physically there learning it from someone who knows what they're doing.

Reason I'm asking is because it's almost impossible to do it correctly unless you're physically there learning it from someone who knows what they're doing.

A lot of things are like that. Maybe except for the shitty online courses my school offers.

I didn't learn Capoeira at all, from the Internet or otherwise, and the goal wasn't necessarily to do it correctly. It was all about some very basic improvisations of movements and hold positions, nothing more. Kind of like advanced dynamic stretching.

Back