Drills you can do by yourself?

Wrestler18

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm new to jiu jitsu and only get to grapple twice a week. I was wanting to know if anyone here knows of any drills that can be done by yourself at home. Anything for movement, flexibily anything like that. Thanks for any and all help.

There's drills, but they're difficult to explain. I'll give a few a try.

Lay on your back. Lift your legs up like someone's in your guard or something. Now windmill your legs, mostly below the knees. Do it fairly quickly. Reverse directions. Mix it up a bit. The idea is that you are blocking out an opponents arms as they try to pass your guard.

You're a wrestler? Lay on your back. Bridge (you've just bridged someone off of you). Roll to your stomach (imagine your now in side mount), switch to kesa gatame position ( www.judoinfo.com ), flop back onto your back and repeat about 25 each side.

Lay on your stomach. Prop up on your foreamrs and toes. Only your forearms and toes (well, balls of your feet) should be touching. Scissor your leg to the right into the kesa gatame position. Pop back to the forearms, toes position. Now kesa gatame to the left. Then back to the forearms, toes. Keep going for a long time.

Shrimp. Shrimp backwards across your room. When you reach the wall, shrimp foward across the room.

Roll. Literally. Just roll around on your floor, from kneeling, foward rolls and backward rolls. Get a flow going and do it for a couple minutes.

There's a bazillion drills, these are just a few.

Bubble Boy said:
Lay on your back. Lift your legs up like someone's in your guard or something. Now windmill your legs, mostly below the knees. Do it fairly quickly. Reverse directions. Mix it up a bit. The idea is that you are blocking out an opponents arms as they try to pass your guard.

Shrimp. Shrimp backwards across your room. When you reach the wall, shrimp foward across the room.

these were the two that i were going to suggest.

Try somw good wrestling drills, like grappling shadowboxing, granby's, sit outs, switches, monkey rolls, shrimping, bridging. All are good drills.

fill up a gym back tight full of towels and clothes, or whatever so that it has the consistency of a person. practice pushing all your weight down on your shoulders against it with your feet behind you and your hips fairly low. try other positions....

also, on your back, do 100 "Yes"es and 50 "No"s.... meaning nod yes 100 times, and no 50 times in a controlled motion. that will help your neck get stronger, this is a little more MMA related than BJJ, but leaving your head on the ground isn't gonna do you any good, so strengthen that.

Bubble Boy said:
Lay on your stomach. Prop up on your foreamrs and toes. Only your forearms and toes (well, balls of your feet) should be touching. Scissor your leg to the right into the kesa gatame position. Pop back to the forearms, toes position. Now kesa gatame to the left. Then back to the forearms, toes. Keep going for a long time.
I think Bubble boy is refering to a version of my favourite ground movement drill. So fere's the version I use.

Start in a modified press up position, your feet should be a bit beyond shoulder width apart and you should only be touching the floor with the balls of your feet and either the palms of your hands or your knuckles.

From here your going to bring your right leg off the floor and kick it forwards and to the left underneath you. it should end up on its side to the left of your left hand.

Now bring your left hand off the floor and turn face up using your other hand and feet. Place your left hand on the floor on your left side by you hip. You should now be face up with both feet extended out in fornt of you and your hands by your hips. the only points of contact with the floor should be your hands and feet, do not sit down.

now you take your right hand off the floor and reach down so that its on the floor by your left foot, this is a mirror of the second position.

Pick your left foot up and kick it back underneath you so that you end up in the pressup position you started in. You should have turned round by about 180 degrees. Now repeat this drill agian going back the other way.

I think that sounds fairly clear.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, and for the link Bubble Boy. All those were the kind of drills I was looking for, more movement and that. Thanks again.

paulchu said:
fill up a gym back tight full of towels and clothes, or whatever so that it has the consistency of a person. practice pushing all your weight down on your shoulders against it with your feet behind you and your hips fairly low. try other positions....

This is a good one! It teaches you to keep pressure on your opponent.

Wolverine
///

Stephan Kesting has a good dvd called "grapplig drills" which I recomend if you want to go deeper into the subject.

Back