Drill both sides or not

Respeezy

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hi guys, i was wondering, most of my techniques i perform only on one side.
Now what do you guys do , or what would you do?

A. Drill everything on both sides, like first twenty armbars on the right arm than twenty armbars on the left.
or
B.Drill 35 armbars on your good side and than like 5 on the other site.

The thing is i have like no time to drill , only what we do in class.
So my dilemma is do i master techniques good or do i spread my time evenly and master the techniques mediocre on both sides.

I only drill techniques from my right side and it's served me well so far. I will eventually concentrate on the other side someday but at this point to me at least it's no use confusing myself especially since like you I have little time to drill.

I usually first drill on my dominant (right) side, then when I get into the flow of the technique, try it on my left and repeat.

Both sides for me. I would rather have a small arsenal of techniques drilled well on both sides than a myriad of techniques to do just on one side. Plus, I would rather be able to hit my favorite moves on someones weak side if the opportunity arises rather than having to completely formulate a new plan.

Drill both sides for ground techniques, but in reality you will only use most submission techniques from the same side 95% of the time. Sweeps are more likely to go both ways in actual rolling.

Standup I don't even bother to drill both sides, you aren't going to start switching grips from what you are used to.

I realize it would be awesome to be good at everything from both sides, but I don't have that kind of time to drill. There is no way in hell I am doing an arm throw going the other way.

I was sure this was a thread in the stand up forum when I saw the title.

On the ground it is both sides for me - you never know where the opening will come in scrambles.

I like to keep it at about 70/30.

Generally the more dominant a position is, the less you need to work a technique both sides. You do need to be able to attack from both sides to keep them honest, but it doesn't have to be the same technique.

I drill probably 80% on my dominant side and 20% on my weak side, if I had to estimate. My guard game is much more symmetrical than my top game because when I pass guard I go to the left probably 9 times out of 10. So I can really only do most of my top game submissions on one side, especially the chokes.

I usually start drilling on the same, dominant side until I have a good idea on the movement and the details make sense. Then I'll try it from the weak side a bit.

So I'm at a 80/20 split too I guess.

Sweeps are different as someone pointed out. Sweeps I drill both sides equally.

I usually pass to the left, and drill that way more. It was weird, I was watching my last comp matches and I actually passed to the right one time. Never realized it until I watched the tape afterwards.

Mostly drill on the dominant side and then get a few reps in on the other side. Sometimes when I'm rolling I'll make an effort to try a pass or sweep to my weak side to see if I can actually pull it off, and it also helps to keep from falling into a routine because everything feels so alien and new from the other side.

Interesting, at my new school my instructor tells us to drill from our dominant side and it really bothered me. I of course didn't question him because he is a very legit two stripe BB but at my old school (subwrestling/CACC) we drilled both sides equal.

Makes me feel better hearing so many people talk about drilling mainly from one side.

Imo its better to be 100% on your dominant side than 50% on both.

Imo its better to be 100% on your dominant side than 50% on both.

I understand this, but I also think it's better to be 75% on your dominant side and 25% on your off side, because what if that person is really good defending to that side?

What if you just end up in that place, where you're trying to do something from the "wrong" side? Do you reposition everything?

This is why I train both sides. Sure, I work on my dominant side more....it's not an 50/50 split.

I've actually found out that I do some things better to the "off side" now that I've given it a chance.

I do probably 90% to my dominant, natural side. Only after I feel I have mastered the techniques of the day, do I even bother to ask my partner if we should drill our other side. I should probably try and get a little more of a balance going... Sweeps I always work both ways though, weird.

I don't drill collar chokes from the guard with my left hand, don't think its necessary. My coach tells us when to practice both sides, and when he does I act accordingly lol. The think that I feel is hardest to do if you don't drill both sides, is open guard sweeps especially de la riva imo.

B.

Not a good thing but I figure if I usually do everything to that side, I usually won't get on the other sides position ever. I think Maia does everything to the left so he often catches people off guard because of it. Kinda like a southpaw in striking.

Back