Drew Dober Discusses ‘Avoidance Mindset,’ Keys to Beating Islam Makhachev

I would like to see any other way to beat the Dagestani wrestlers without wrestling them, no you can't rely on flash KO's before the takedown. Good analysis by Dober. Makes me think if that's why Rumble went straight to wrestling DC in the rematch.

abyz8n7o76n41.gif

Gotta be sneaky about it though
Islam has never faced Volk with all the power of the Volkamaniacs

giphy.gif

Drew Dober has a great jaw
No homo

In theory he has the right idea, but it's so dependent on skill-set/athleticism that few get to apply that approach.

Do you have elite cardio/grappling endurance + elite wrestling? Then yes, trying to wrestle with him is a good plan as Arman showed he could match him in spots and Volk showed he could counter him in others.

However, by far the vast majority of fighters don't have the athleticism and/or skills to make it happen - if they try to wrestle they will gas themselves out or just get schooled because they think their college wrestling background is equivalent to 20+ years of shark-tank Dagestani sambo-grappling at elevation.

Like Islam said - there are levels to this.

Mindset is one thing

But running at someone and fighting them at their absolute strength isn’t the best strategy imo

Totally agree with Big Dick Dober here.

One of my all time pet peeves in MMA is hearing guys talk about training takedown defense when they are scheduled to fight elite wrestlers.

I remember all of GSP’s opponents act like they were going to be the first guy to stuff his takedowns only for ever single one of them to get taken down at will.

Guys like GSP and Islam, you are just going to have to accept that if they want you on the ground, you are getting put there. The question is now what? What you should be training non stop are sweeps, submissions and ways to get up.

Most importantly, fight fire with fire. I’ve never seen a wrestler like being on their back. They are lost. They can take you down and maintain top control but very few know what to do off their back. Stop trying to strike with these guys and attack with wrestling and BJJ.

Oliveira wasn't afraid of the wrestling and ended up getting merked by Islam's striking. people are acting like Islam is Demian Maia here, he's way more dangerous than "if you stop his wrestling he's done"

It's a common thought with really aggressive offensive grapplers. Takedown ability does not automatically equate to takedown defense and some wrestlers look helpless when they're flat on their back. Won't know until ya try.

You hear coaches say "Be first" all the time, why more people don't think "shoot first" against these challenges, idk. Sure, I mean, "Let's grapple Islam" sounds silly, but after EVERYONE has been taken down, to the point it's basically inevitable, i think it's just as silly to be like "Well that won't happen to me."

It's a common thought with really aggressive offensive grapplers. Takedown ability does not automatically equate to takedown defense and some wrestlers look helpless when they're flat on their back. Won't know until ya try.

You hear coaches say "Be first" all the time, why more people don't think "shoot first" against these challenges, idk. Sure, I mean, "Let's grapple Islam" sounds silly, but after EVERYONE has been taken down, to the point it's basically inevitable, i think it's just as silly to be like "Well that won't happen to me."

Sometimes I feel like it's a weird Catch-22 situation in these types of match-ups where maybe testing the TDD of the stronger offensive grappler might actually be the lesser of two evils. If you're consistently getting taken down and held down (like all of the guy's previous opponents), is there never a point where you think maybe it's time to switch things up and see if they're deficient off their back? Sure, good chance you end up getting reversed in a scramble and award them a free takedown. But what was the alternative? Hope for a Masvidal/Askren flying knee or Lewis/Blaydes uppercut? Hope he gasses out wrestling you despite the fact that he never has before?

Drew dober has got it all wrong, the problem isn't Islam's wrestling. The problem is the differential in fight IQ. Dober needs to stick to what he is good at, brainless just bleed style brawling and looking pretty.

I feel like Charles Olivera has been let off the Hook SO MANY times by his opponents because they don't want to go to the ground with him. I fully beleive Chandler would have finished Charles if he really tried to follow Charles to the ground when he had him hurt in the first round. Hell, Felder went to the ground with Charles and smashed his head in.

I understand what Dobber is saying

Makes sense though.

Only focusing in the stand-up and avoiding the takedowns makes you more one dimensional and easier for Islam to manage. Meanwhile he's free to mix it all up.

Obviously, the caviot is you need to he a competent enough wrestler for it to not blow up in you face

Has he not watched any Islam's other fights? Oliveira tried to take him down, Volk tried 4 times, Moises tried to take him down 3 times, Arman Tsarukyan tried to take him down 12 times.

Trying to outgrapple the best grappler in the division sounds like a terrible plan.

I don't agree with him in theory, but Sean friggin Strickland just put on a clinic, ON THE FEET, against one of the most elite strikers to ever compete in the sport, mentally breaking him in the process. So it can definitely happen, and he didn't even imply that he would *only* try to wrestle.

If any fighter taking on Islam plans or expects to not wrestle, I would say they haven't come prepared. Doesn't mean they have to wrestle but they really should be ready for it, if they're taking the fight seriously.

Back