• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dow last year under Obama vs First year under Trump. Trump

The idea that Trump just by getting elected is causing a worldwide boom in stocks is one of the sillier ones we've seen from partisan fanatics.

I agree. Still, I find it worth noting that it is less silly than Krugman's partisan idea that the markets would never recover from Trump's election.

As he said just after the election: "Still, I guess people want an answer: If the question is when markets will recover, a first-pass answer is never."

and

"So we are very probably looking at a global recession, with no end in sight."
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/cp/opinion/election-night-2016

I think Krugman's emotional partisan reaction has helped support he view that high markets are a Trump victory by linking the markets' performance with Trump's competence.

It's shit like this that make liberal criticisms of trump lose all credibility. If you can't even give Trump credit for this than you are blinded by your hatred. The market goes up and down on the forecast of the future. Trump has consistently said he wants to lower corporate taxes and eliminate regulations. That is why the market has taken off.

And Yeh it'll probably crash when McCain kills tax reform in the Senate

I agree. Still, I find it worth noting that it is less silly than Krugman's partisan idea that the markets would never recover from Trump's election.

As he said just after the election: "Still, I guess people want an answer: If the question is when markets will recover, a first-pass answer is never."

and

I think Krugman's emotional partisan reaction has helped support he view that high markets are a Trump victory by linking the markets' performance with Trump's competence.

Great point!

Rigorous economic discussions aside I just want to say something about Krugman.

pre-election, I had no idea what a sniveling whiny chronically butthurt childish unprofessional bitch he could be. I could easily see him spending hours a day in puerile back-and-forth in forums like this

That said, I do recall on numerous occasions pre-election saying how much "that guy" gives me the creeps. This was back when I didn't really know that much about him.

He needs to shut the f up. He won the nobel prize already! Now he's pissing his credibility away like a little bitch.

It's shit like this that make liberal criticisms of trump lose all credibility. If you can't even give Trump credit for this than you are blinded by your hatred. The market goes up and down on the forecast of the future. Trump has consistently said he wants to lower corporate taxes and eliminate regulations. That is why the market has taken off.

And Yeh it'll probably crash when McCain kills tax reform in the Senate
What in the fuck? You admit that failure to pass tax cuts will crash yet Trump deserves credit? This makes no sense. At best he'll deserve credit if tax cuts pass right?

and

Great point!

Rigorous economic discussions aside I just want to say something about Krugman.

pre-election, I had no idea what a sniveling whiny chronically butthurt childish unprofessional bitch he could be. I could easily see him spending hours a day in puerile back-and-forth in forums like this

That said, I do recall on numerous occasions pre-election saying how much "that guy" gives me the creeps. This was back when I didn't really know that much about him.

He needs to shut the f up. He won the nobel prize already! Now he's pissing his credibility away like a little bitch.

To be fair that prediction is still possible guys aside from him being dramatic. They were one vote away from delivering a hammer blow to healthcare, which is a 6th of the economy and if they pass tax reform he'd be well on his way to fiscal problems and a recession. Add an unnecessary war and it's entirely plausible.

I'm not betting all that happens but just pointing out you're too early to say Krugman was wrong. Trump hasn't even been president for a year and hasn't passed any significant legislation.

Before election: From CNN Money.

"If Donald Trump wins the election, U.S. stocks (and likely many other markets overseas) will almost certainly tank."

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/24/investing/stocks-donald-trump-hillary-clinton/index.html

CNN was spreading FAKE NEWS trying to convince their readers that Trump would negatively impact the stock market.

Does anyone wonder why No One Believes In CNN anymore?

Anecdotes don't influence intelligent people... That only works with Fox viewers

Before election: From CNN Money.

"If Donald Trump wins the election, U.S. stocks (and likely many other markets overseas) will almost certainly tank."

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/24/investing/stocks-donald-trump-hillary-clinton/index.html

CNN was spreading FAKE NEWS trying to convince their readers that Trump would negatively impact the stock market.

Does anyone wonder why No One Believes In CNN anymore?
i love how you take an opinion and call it fake news...
you sound like a brainwashed moron

i love how you take an opinion and call it fake news...
you sound like a brainwashed moron

It doesn't say editorial or opinion anywhere.

So again CNN was trying to trick their readers by providing fake news on how Trump will impact the markets.

Shame shame shame

Probably all the corps buying back their own stock to artificially raise the stock price and increase the executives pay.

So again CNN was trying to trick their readers by providing fake news on how Trump will impact the markets.

Shame shame shame

Everyone was saying that if Trump was elected the market would tank. Not just CNN, not to mention it was certain people on CNN saying this, pundits that also appear on other shows.

Sounds to me like many people disagree with CNN reporting so they call it fake news.

Everyone was saying that if Trump was elected the market would tank. Not just CNN, not to mention it was certain people on CNN saying this, pundits that also appear on other shows.

Sounds to me like many people disagree with CNN reporting so they call it fake news.

So what is correct? The president has a great impact on the markets or does not? (I know the answer)

if the answer is does not... why would anybody form ANY news outlet predict the markets would tank with Trump winning?

Removal of oversight and restrictions will cause a decade-long increase under Trump, and he'll be out just in time before oversight and investigation of corporate malfeasance causes another recession.

I've lived too long to trust what is happening.

Not really. Krugman made a mistake in the moment and then admitted it and corrected it immediately. What we're seeing in this thread is people continuing to make a crazy claim after it's been shown how it must be false and then hacks trying to change the subject to something Krugman blurted out a year ago.

To be fair that prediction is still possible guys aside from him being dramatic. They were one vote away from delivering a hammer blow to healthcare, which is a 6th of the economy and if they pass tax reform he'd be well on his way to fiscal problems and a recession. Add an unnecessary war and it's entirely plausible.

I'm not betting all that happens but just pointing out you're too early to say Krugman was wrong. Trump hasn't even been president for a year and hasn't passed any significant legislation.

Might be a bet here. Anyone want to go on record predicting that the Dow will go up 20% in the next 12 months or that tax reform passing or failing to pass will have a big impact on broad indexes?

The economic policies and budget which were passed under Obama are currently still what is in place. If you put potato sack, paper weight, or inanimate carbon rod in the White house, the economic climate at this point would be the same, since they also would not have gotten a budget or economic legislation passed.

All that would mean is that a business friendly potato sack > Obama.

Shame shame shame
yeah I said opinion genius.. cnn was sharing their OPINION not fact.. maybe work on your comprehension skills and stop believing every article you see on drudge or crowder

Back