Doumbe: "Most muscular guys have weak chins"!

bjjwar

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
In his post fight interview Doumbe said sth along the lines "Souvent les mecs costauds comme ça ont le menton faible", which basically means that most "muscular" guys (strong guys) have weak chins, he's seen it many times before, so he knew it was about to happen early in the fight.

I can think of Todd Duffee, Overeem, Marlon Moraes,...

It does seem that the Mark Hunt kinda chubby types of fighters have the best chins out there, but idk.

Last edited:
Hmm, I don't think being muscular could possibly result in having a bad chin. But perhaps... Being at a very low bodyfat percentage can?
I'd also say body fat percentage being really low + weight cut could make the whole body/chin weaker. The fact that those type of fighters usually also gas quicker, could also make them being a bit "lazy" in their striking defense and more prone to get KO'ed.

Overeem had the same chin when he was skinny. He has a weak chin because his head is relativley small compared to the rest of his body

maxresdefault.jpg

I don’t know about that. Overeems chin was shit before he juiced, then he started juicing and didn’t get KOd for years, until he tested positive before fighting bigfoot and had to stop juicing then proceeded to get KOd. I think a strong neck and big head help you absorb a punch. Mark Hunt and Roy Nelson had huge heads and lots of fat/muscle and they have GOAT tier chins. Jon Jones, Carlos Condit, and Max Holloway had legendary chins so it’s not always 1 for 1 with head size, genetics play a huge role.

In his post fight interview Doumbe said sth along the lines "Souvent les mecs costauds comme ça ont le menton faible", which basically means that most "muscular" guys (strong guys) have weak chins, he's seen it many times before, so he knew it was about to happen early in the fight.

I can think of Todd Duffee, Overeem, Marlon Moraes,...

It does seem that the Mark Hunt kinda chubby types of fighters have the best chins out there, but idk.

Typically this goes against sound theory. For all the naive people who try to draw correlations without finding contradictions. Many, many muscular fighters have also had amazing chins. One theory is that thicker necks and more developed traps helps the body absorb the impact from strikes to the head that would lead to getting rocked or knocked out. There's a lot of factors for chin durability, definitely genetic components as well but being muscular doesn't make your chin weaker lol.

Back