Doubles and singles in judo?

MrHandsome

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering what are your opinions on the double leg and single leg in judo or bjj. Is it effective even with the gi on? Just wondering because it seems to work on the same belt levels for me.

yeah of course, with al lthe grips the gi offers be aware of the counters thou

And having a single and performing a osotogari or ouchi gari is awesome

moroto gari is great the single is ok if you watch out for the uchi mata , i do a single into a ashi bari or an ouchi with the leg still held .

moroto gari is great the single is ok if you watch out for the uchi mata

True! As a former wrestler I've learned all about the joys of Uchimata while shooting for a single leg (as the uke of course).

doubles aren't bad as long as you don't get reversed.

singles need speed and kazushi, and if you're gonna pick up a leg you'd better make sure you don't let it come across your body, otherwise you're just begging to get osotoed.

Hey guys, just wondering what are your opinions on the double leg and single leg in judo or bjj. Is it effective even with the gi on? Just wondering because it seems to work on the same belt levels for me.

If you mean wrestlings...

Both won't get you very far at all in judo unless you are doing the judogi kind in morote-gari or uchiki/kuchiki daoshis based around a solid upright attack.

Maybe they will, but I have never seen it.:D Please find me a 'shot' in judo HLs that score. Lots of wrestlers here.

Sorry.:D

I have seen plenty wrestlers join judo and have a way too difficult time adapting.

-stand upright....all the time and force yourself to...
-grab and work the gi only and always....
-do not be afraid to get thrown...at all...appreciate it as it will give you some good awareness of opponents...
-never use doubles or singles again...sorry but serious:icon_lol:
-STAND...UP...(again).:icon_lol:

oh yeah, reelaaxx!!!:)

relax, funny that it goes agiasnt all insticts but it is what must be done

singles and doubles are very good esp. with the gi on you have more options.

Dude, there's only one Mr Handsome here first of all

*admires self in mirror*

but other than that...

I think setting up your grips is what is really gonna make the single or doubles work, unless you shoot before taking grips (i.e. fake like you're going to just take grips and then just fire in)...
Watch out for uchimata though!!!

If you've already taken grips, you're going to need to get a dominate grip set up developed first, before trying for the single or double. Work with a partner and your coach and figure out how to get a dominate gripping situation that will allow you to shoot in without getting stuffed because of your opponents grips.

Morote Gari is easier to counter because of the Gi. With Morote Gari you have to hit it before they grab your gi and with the Gi it is easier to grab you. Also with the Gi they can drive you to the mat harder. If I am in a match with someone who likes Morote Gari I am going to try to punish them if they shoot in on me. I will drive them to the ground with as much force as possible.

I've seen quite a few guys adapt Morote Gari to reasonable success but not the single legs. Also the problem with focusing on Morote Gari is you don't develope other techniques as much.

But I have heard the powers are trying to make them illegal which would be ridiculous. Alot of the Judo purists hate morote gari. My take is if you take it out you take out an aspect that would help future Judo MMa fighters alot.

the double or single is my last ditch effort lol. There was this guy today at judo who was strong as hell (he came in second for the olympic trials this year for rowing, but I didn't know that till after judo). He kept pushing me forward on my uchi mata so I just went single leg and slammed the crap out of him. Felt so bad about it cause he didn't get up for like 3 mins. I really only go for it if I'm desperate lol. The only other pickup I do is te guruma, which works great, but expends tons of energy if they turn over onto their front. I have to get out of the habit of grabbing pant leg instead of leg though.

I think part of the problem with Morote Gari is sometimes you get the low wrestling style shot, and throws for score in Judo aren't supposed to start from the "ground".

I don't think we'll see it pulled as it was adopted by the Kodokan (along with other "wrestling" style moves) in the Shinmeisho No Waza (newly accepted techniques).

From what I have been told by 2 international refs, the IJF is going to ban morote gari from competition after the Olympics. I know the IJF was considering it and also axing the koka earlier this year. -ken

Getting rid of Kokas I can understand, but what was the rationale behind banning the morote gari? (if you got a reason)

Back