dose anyone keep a journal for there bjj?

doaky

White Belt
Reaction score
hey people just joined and this is my first post.as the title says" dose anyone keep a journal for there bjj?"and if so how do you arrange yours?do you have goals weaknesses or do you just write down your technique?any feed back will be much welcomed im a 3stripe white belt really want to start improving my game cheers :icon_chee

hey people just joined and this is my first post.as the title says" dose anyone keep a journal for there bjj?"and if so how do you arrange yours?do you have goals weaknesses or do you just write down your technique?any feed back will be much welcomed im a 3stripe white belt really want to start improving my game cheers :icon_chee

TBH Ive Been Doin It For Around 6 Months And IMO Keeping A Journal Aint To Great When Starting - Jus Get Used To The Transitions Getting The Right Posture And Keeping Your Weight On Your Opponent And Also Getting used To Rolling -

Again IMO Its Hard To Judge Of A Few Lessons What Your Bad At Beacause You Will Face Dif Opposition Who Will Have Their Own Special Skill In JiuJitsu.

And Also You Will Learn What Your Bad At And Then When Your Caught In That Situation You Will Instantly Improve From The Last Time Naturally. Im Always Gettin Caught In Triangle Chokes And Armbars From the Bottom Alot But Ive Learnt The Escapes - Sometimes You'll find That Your Body Will Either Hinder Your Or Help You -
Im Tall So Can Control Guard Pretty Well Especially As I Can Triangle My Legs Around A Persons Back And Pretty Much Work From There But Then Again When It Comes To Armbars And Kimuras,Americanas etc Im Fucked Because Theres So Much Leverage For The Opponent - Just Think How Much easier It Is To Screw A Bolt In With A Big Spanner Than A Small One.

I keep goals, plans, strategies, techniques, etc.. In my notebooks. The one that I have been spending the most time on lately is writing down my favorite techniques/positions. Then I will write down where my training partners stop my progress in the technique and how they stop the move. Then I come up with a few possible solutions to try out in sparring. Then when I spar, I keep the solutions that I have the most success with and repeat the process.

For newer students I think that goals and developing two or three moves from each position, and using the note book to develop and track progress in those areas is helpful.

I started keeping one about a month ago. Essentially, I list the techniques we covered in class (By name, usually. I don't go too in depth,) any corrections/tips or important things to remember about the techniques, and I'll list what I feel I did well during the open roll, and what I need to work on. Also, if any glaring problems/questions come up I jot them down as well to ask higher belts.

It's really interesting to read now a month later, and it keeps my mind focused, so I'm going to keep doing it.

(Blue belt, 1 stripe.)

My coach told me to do that, i ignored it till now, I started new text document and there are plenty techniques I know, I'm proud :D

hey dude thanks for the reply.but ive been doing it for about 7-8months and feel im starting to understand jujitsu a lot more im 1 of the better whitebelts in our class of which there are 15 or so and i want to start looking ahead and keep improving and how i can get better and further down the line hopefully get my bluebelt ect!so maybe this could another tool to help me do that?

I have a BJJ journal, the scribblings of this mad man can only be deciphered to "God damn, stop digging your elbows in to break my guard!"

Dear Diary...

I got choked out by a younger, more athletic kid who wrestled in college..

Mood: sad
listening to: The Smiths..

j/k

yeah I keep one
just to keep up with techniques

I keep one online...

BJJ Memoir

Mostly I use it to write my thoughts in and post practice videos so I can see where I make mistakes.

Kind of, I have a training log (in my link) that give recaps of what we did in class and how various things went. I started it fairly recently, but do post in it often.

I keep a personal one for goals and plans, but I have one online as well. It's in my signature.

I keep one. I'm not as vigilant now with it as I used to be. I would write down each technique I learned in as much detail as I could remember after each class. When I was a white belt, if I couldn't remember all of the finer details, I would talk them out once w/ the coach and then write them out.

I don't do that at regular classes anymore, but at seminars I still do. I LOADED up probably 2-3 pages at a Robert Drysdale seminar. That thing was a treasure trove.

About a year ago, I gathered up all of my journals; scrap pages tucked into books; and wadded up in the bottom of my gi bag, and I typed them all into an Excel spreadsheet (pages organized by category - guard sweeps/attacks, guard passes, mount escapes, mount attacks, takedowns, TD Defense, etc.)

It took me a couple weeks of spare time to do that (a half-hour here, 20 minutes there), but it was amazing running across stuff that I never use in rolling! I'd come in to roll and try to use setups I hadn't thought about for 2-3 years.

I highly recommend doing that.

I keep a lame journal. It's not very detail oriented and mostly is an outlet for angst and/or disappointments.

It's good though, because I review it once a month and remember things to work on when I ever get the feeling like I'm stuck.

I actually started one recently.
My instructor wanted us to go over the moves we did last week, but for the life of me I couldn't remember them.

The only problem is that I'm a newb at BJJ so I don't know what kind of shorthand to use. I have a paragraph written for moves that are like 3-4 steps max.

I've started typing things up. Previously I wrote things down into a notebook, but ordering things chronologically isn't the best way to do it. New system, is a lot more sensible, and I can do it at work, which is great since I often couldn't have been bothered to write things up after class.

I've kept one since my first day. I write a lot about techniques we did and try to be as detailed as possible. Not only is it useful to be able to go back and brush up on stuff, but just the act of writing things down helps me remember the steps better. I also jot down things I want to work on and what I did wrong during sparring. I feel like the latter keeps useful chains/sequences fresh in my mind.

I have literally documented every singel training session for my decade plus and I have found it to be an invaluable tool. It helps me keep track of my goals and analyze the orders of certain techniques I am learning to better understand how they go together. It's one of the best things you can do for yourself.

I just recently started a new one because I am now training strictly in no gi.

I'm going to be starting up a blog soon, so that will be my journal.

I started my own journal also. It helps me remember the positions as well as tips to remember when rolling. The only difficult thing is trying to put into words the intricacies of a specific move or position. As I've only been training for a month, I kinda make up my own words/positions if I don't know exactly what to call something.

If I am being honest, I used to think keeping a journal was "mad gay". However, what was also "mad gay" was forgetting the technique you were shown a few months back and not being able to pull it off from that position.

What I do now is I normally note down a technique or a couple of techniques which I like that I have learned after a session is over. I waste enough time on my PC and taking 2 minutes out to bullet point a technique on a word document which I have learnt seems worth it.

I don't record every technique, only the ones I like or seem like something I would like to use. I usually have at least one technique to note down or a variation/pointer about a technique I already know.

Does help.

Back