• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Multiplatform Doom Eternal: Mick Gordon vs Bethesda and Marty Stratton

deviake

Otsego Amigo
@Silver
Reaction score

Cliffs:
-Marty Stratton is full of shit and smeared Mick's name.

The end.

He expected Mick to make the OST for Doom Eternal without a contract. Mick had done this on another project in 2015 and wasn't paid because he didn't have a contract. There was also poor communication on Marty's end and a deceptive Reddit post slandering Mick that he refused to take down because "it would damage his reputation." There were issues with the credits, a guy named Chad getting credit on some of the tracks Mick made when he did very little with them, one of them he merely changed the file name. He got creator credit when he should have only gotten an editor credit. They also had wildly unrealistic expectations of Mick. They tried to pay Mick to stay quiet about the whole thing.

Well worth a full listen if you have the time. Bethesda/Mary seem to be some slimy fucks. Hopefully Mick is doing well.

Mick's rebuttal:

I don't know about anyone watching the video or reading Mick's response but before this came up in my feed all I knew was that Mick had some deadline issues with the soundtrack, I didn't know who was at fault or really look into it, I thought it might've even been on Mick's end which bummed me out cuz he seems like a great composer and his music really breathes life into Doom; 2016 and Eternal have some incredible tracks that really add to the gameplay and overall feel and play experience. Really get you amped up. I hope he continues to get work and some big projects down the line. Unfortunately this is likely the end of his relationship with Bethesda but I don't blame the guy, all the bullshit he went through sounds like a nightmare.

Pretty sure there's a long thread on this somewhere.

Probably deep in the Doom Eternal thread.

Pretty sure there's a long thread on this somewhere.

Probably deep in the Doom Eternal thread.
I figured it might be in there, I thought it deserved its own thread and I didn't see another

I figured it might be in there, I thought it deserved its own thread and I didn't see another

Well Doom Eternal isn't being updated, so this thread will probably be merged into it.

It really sucks because both guys are awesome. Marty Stratton is directly responsible for bringing DOOM back to the forefront in the biggest way possible, and Mick Gordon has produced some of the best FPS soundtracks the modern era has seen.

I honestly feel like this is one of those "truth lies somewhere in the middle" types of situations. Either way, we gamers are the real losers here. It's heartbreaking knowing Mick Gordon will almost certainly never do a soundtrack for an id Software/Bethesda game ever again.

It does suck. Mick Gordon is synonymous with Doom.

They're suing each other in court so it's hard to take everything said at face value but if Mick was wronged hopefully he gets paid.

Back