Don King is a saint.

i think the vatican is going to sanctify Don King some time next yr. yeah Don King has made some of the sports greatest fights and has had some of the greatest fighters under him but for whatever reason everytime i hear his name the following words cross my mind, scum, crook, embezzler overall low life. he does however have a great smile, but i guess after getting away with ripping off his fighters for so much money, he has a reason to smile. im sure he misses tyson and chavez

Now this seems like a rediculous statement. However after stumbling across the fighter payments issued for UFC 84, i have come to the conclusion that King is a generous and honest individual that puts the welfare of his fighters above all else.

UFC 84 generated close to 4 million at the gate and is expected to reach PPV buys of around 500,000. This should translate to revenue of around 30 million for the UFC. Sean Sherk was in the main event. Much of the interest in this event was generated from the excellent promotion from the two main event fighters. Its safe to assume that their use of the media to promote their supposed hatred for each other contributed to far greater PPV numbers than they could have otherwise expected. Sean Sherk got paid $35,000.

Boxing has long been known for crooked promoters not least of all Don King. However even King has never managed to get away with paying one of his fighters 35 gs in a title fight that generated 30 million dollars to the best of my knowledge. The UFC has pulled off a masive feat to make this scumbag look good in comparison.

Thats what im saying too. People are quick to say boxing is corrupt. UFC has to be corrupt. They pay way less salary then any boxing promoters do. They even ban there sponsors to take away from their highest potential income.

Don king is such a hypocrite. Dude has a lot of nerve but if I went into detail id get into big trouble.

Other promoters never treated a boxer like there little workhorse while cheating them out of tens of millions of dollars, He will put asses in seats but you really have to question if its worth working with him.

the problems with the fight business mma/boxing is that so many guys tolerate the exploitation. You have choices, you don't have to fight. If you feel like someone is not doing the best they can for you, don't fight. Fighters really have no right to complain and I get tired of hearing it, one reason being that if they would have thought about all of this before they put years,money,time,sacrifice into it, they wouldn't do it. It also makes it harder for some of us who do have some sense and dignity to do anything, they don't need us at all because they have enough suckers that allow them to make fools of them. Of course it's not fair but I believe in personal responsibility and fighters do not take enough of it.

very true. mma fighters underpaid grossly, but all mma events have multiple fight cards. Multiple fight cards = more fighters = more fighters to pay.

He seems to be looking for fighters that are hungry to just fight, not for the money.

I think some people are missing the point.... which was although Don King raped a lot of fighters he left them with more than what MMA fighters get.

Back