Don Frye's heartwarming story about his fight with Takayama and how he almost died afterwards

what-the.gif

Had no idea Severn coached Frye back in college

It's eye opening to hear about how damaging the sport of MMA can be. It's something you never notice as fans because you see fighters fight the same way each time and do what they do. You forget how much can go on behind the scenes.

When even in winning, a fight changes your career forever.

That fight took years off of both men's lives.

Definitely the GOAT MMA fight. If you are looking to blow the socks off some casual, show them that. In all the years that MMA has been around, never again have two fighters attempted to do what they did either, mutually agree to stand there and punch each other in the face for minutes and see who the first one to drop would be. Hespect to both men who were truly cut from a different cloth in a different era - we'll likely never see that again.

The fight with Ken Shamrock is what made me a big fan.... Then to come back after getting your knee shredded to pieces. Just to get your brain scrambled. Love Don lol. No quit. All about the show.

Man, how many significant strikes landed in that fight!!!!
These two guys gave it all for the sport

what-the.gif

Had no idea Severn coached Frye back in college

Not to derail but what I found impressive is Dans admittance of when he was winning and won the ultimate ultimate tournament in UFC we were “getting Dan Severn residue in his 30’s”. If we wanted to see a real beast go back to the 80’s when he was actually wrestling.
Dons a good guy to!

Nothing forges a bond between two fighters like that crazy war they went through. It's really good to see Don Frye visiting the Hawtness in the hospital after the Hawtness was paralyzed a few years ago

Their fight is forever one of the GOAT moments in MMA
7ae2a2010b2eec2499960673bc6dc276.gif
That was such a brutal exchange.

They are playing a spirited game of punch face.

Who needs defense?

Pro wrestling accident. He's paralyzed from the neck down and couldn't even breathe on his own for a while.

Really, really sad stuff...
Damn. Is there a video of the accident? Actually, not sure I wanna see that...

Takayama was injured at a DDT show on May 4, 2017, when he landed on his head when attempting a sunset flip on Yasu Urano.

What's crazy is that this fight is often frowned upon by some, insane what both men were willing to sacrifice that night.

Legends both of em.
damn

So true and you know I realized personally that sometimes it extends to relationships as well. I'm getting back together with an ex who've I fought with before and argued, we hurt each others feelings a lot...but now I value her for standing her ground and earning my respect, she said the same vice versa. So in conclusion sometimes fighting even strengthens love relationships. Nobody respects a pushover is what it comes down to.
Oof bad move bro

Back