Does your focus change?

crash90

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
i have been training for about six months. Our gym is lucky enough to have a good range of skills from Black/Brown down to brand new students. I obviously spend most of my time against the more experienced just surviving. During these rolls I will get tapped with some pretty cool stuff. As I have gained experience they are starting to use different setups and subs.

When I first started I was enamored with the triangle (from anywhere) and the kimura from guard. I tried to learn as many variations/setups that I could. I would try them on ANYONE (from our brown belt down to brand new guys).

After a 2 months, the more experienced guys starting breaking my base and getting me with sweeps. After this happened I became obessed with sweeps. I started to try less triangles/kimuras and tried to hit any sweep I could. I tried them from guard, half guard, and even turtle.

At my 5th month of training I had my first tournament. I fell back on what I knew best. Triangles and sweeps (if I didn't get the TD). However, upon coming back from the tournament, I got put in a slick leglock and then some slick rubber guard subs. Now I am obessed (to the point of adding more DVDs to my collection and ALWAYS asking to be shown these type of things when the instructor asks what we want to learn) with leglocks and RG.

Does anyone else do this? If yes then do you feel like it makes your game to wide and not strong in one certain aspect. Or as a beginner should I try to soak up as much knowledge as possible and just keep trying things out?

I am really into the sit up guard for the past months and I might go into something else later on.

I always go through phases. I think it is good and advances specific parts of your game a good amount if you can stick to one area for about 2 months. Then you learn it well enough that you can fall back on that knowledge a few months later.

That being said, at 6 months going through this with rubber guard and leg locks is a bad idea and will teach you bad habits.

I think it's not so much your focus changing as just different things making you interested in making your game as complete as it should be for you

I always go through phases. I think it is good and advances specific parts of your game a good amount if you can stick to one area for about 2 months. Then you learn it well enough that you can fall back on that knowledge a few months later.

That being said, at 6 months going through this with rubber guard and leg locks is a bad idea and will teach you bad habits.

I can definitely see why the RG could create bad habits but why for leg locks?

I can definitely see why the RG could create bad habits but why for leg locks?

I think TS trains only NOGI anyway and likely to train 10th JJ as well.

It is the norm in BJJ to not let beginners do leg locks for several reasons.

loss of position, not learning to pass the guard, safety etc..the list can go on..

I think TS trains only NOGI anyway and likely to train 10th JJ as well.

It is the norm in BJJ to not let beginners do leg locks for several reasons.

loss of position, not learning to pass the guard, safety etc..the list can go on..

You are correct we are mostly no-gi. However, we are NOT a 10th JJ. For the most part we are a fight gym but do participate in grappling tournaments.

Those sounds like solid reasons not to get obessed with leg locks. However, I have tried to focus on leglocks from HG or transitional situations.

That said I really do need to work on a semblance of a top game. Unless it is a newer guy or someone at my level, I struggle passing the guard.

Back