Does your BJJ Gym have Rules?

Tralik33

White Belt
Reaction score
Does your BJJ gym have official rules for training? If so, what are they?

I am looking to put together a reasonable "code of conduct/ruleset" for the gym I train at, at the request of my instructor. I'd like to see what your experiences have been and what seems to be reasonable and work well for keeping a relaxed atmosphere, but still keeping some modicum of discipline and respect. Thanks in advance for the help.:icon_chee

we got by the Gracie Barra rules.

-we must bow on and off the mat
-must wear shoes in the bathroom
-we call the person teaching class "coach", and our head blackbelt instructor "professor"
-we are encouraged (but not required) to wear a team patch

Bow in and out of class.

Talk to the instructor if you have to leave, even to go to the bathroom (its just so he knows if someone has left class and there needs to be a stand in either for drilling or rolling) .

shoes off at the door
bow to sensei and training partners when we see them
bow on and off the mat
always sit during explanations crosslegged
bow quick on floor before we break up for drills and rolling

it's a very respectful dojo which i think is the best way to run things it keeps practice very focused

Lets see:

Wash your gi

Train safe. Its not a competition, its training.

Show up to class on time.

Listen to the instructor.

Thats pretty much it. We're a pretty informal school. I think i depends on the students. We have a good set of guys.

Wash your gi
Thats pretty much it. We're a pretty informal school. I think i depends on the students. We have a good set of guys.

Agreed with these, people at our school won't even roll with someone if there gi is nasty. I know I will never risk my health rolling with someone who's gi is disgusting.

Lets see:

Wash your gi

Show up to class on time.

Listen to the instructor.

This, mostly common sense.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Do any of you have rules in regards to techniques like no slams, no neck cranks, etc...?

Bow on and off the mat.

Always show respect to our fellow students.

Wash your gi.

Shoes not on the mat.

Don't be an ignorant ass.

That sort of thing.

Do any of you have rules in regards to techniques like no slams, no neck cranks, etc...?

Ah, in that case...

No slams, leg locks(for lower l, less experienced students) and neck cranks. Basically anything that wll really mess someone up.

Last edited:

we don't have rules that outlaw techniques but we all are respectful not to neck crank a new guy or go to hard during learning new techniques. you just wanna have everyone respectful and try to tap their opponent to better their technique not to prove they are the toughest man. and if anyone holds a submission after a tap i'm pretty sure they'd be thrown out.

rules of my gym

-puke out of the window, not on the mat.
-when you are stoned, don't roll with white belts
-don't go hard on people training less then 6 months
-no alcohol on the mats.
-no shoes on the mat, wear shoes when going to the toilet
-take your empty bottles with you when class is gone
-don't fart on people's head.

Our coach has some practical rules such as keeping all nails clean and trimmed, proper hygiene, no cursing or talking while coach is instructing, no pet hair, clean clothes, no training when sick, things like that.

It helps a lot when guys follow these rules..

Back