Does your BJJ club crosstrain..

We got a bad ass Russian wrestler, and a 2nd Dan Judo black belt at our club.

Olympic freestyle wrestling, Collegiate wrestling, a bit of Greco, a bit of Judo. Out club basically encompasses the best of bjj, wrestling, Gene Lebell's grappling and Judo. It's awesome.

I voted on the first one, but it's a little of everything. My gi instructor was a bb in judo before he got his bb in bjj. We also have seminars (one yesterday for example) that are exclusively judo where we pick a few throws and work on them. However it's not judo for the sake of judo, it's judo for the sake of bjj, so essentially it's the same thing. Similar to a judo school that would focus heavily on newaza as well, but with a bjj instructor.

We don't have a wrestling instructor, but I wrestled prior to bjj, and my other instructor is well trained in greco, so he incorporates that into the no gi class.

Since bjj is essentially a hybrid art, it's all one big thing to me, and I no longer divide what I am taught into bjj, judo, and wrestling.

We got a 2nd Dan Olympic Judoka, his skills are incredible... Nice guy btw

our teachers are skilled in judo and wrestling. they teach an all around grappling style at the advanced level.

I voted yes at the bjj coach was also a prolific judoka and there were plenty opportunity to work with wrestlers. If the bjj coach couldnt make it sometimes the vet wrestler/bjjer would run the class.

There's a big difference between a wrestler or judoka that help, and actual cross-training. You don't get the benefit of judo or wrestling without actually offering a full-fledged judo or wrestling program, IMO. Otherwise you probably won't be practicing the judo or wrestling enough for it to make a difference. The exception in when your BJJ program has specific training allotments for judo and wrestling during the regular practices. However just like everything, it is how you practice which determines whether it helps or not.

yes we have some high level wrestlers that work out with us and a shit load of judo black belts and brown belts. one 5th degree black belt in judo and one 3rd degree black belt in judo. then we have a brown and a shit load of blue belts in bjj. and a couple of blues getting ready for their purple:icon_chee

My bjj teacher teaches a judo class but rank isn't given. It's taught with bjj tournaments in mind, not throwing for ippon. There is also a local junior college with a very good wrestling program who's coach comes and teaches a wrestling class for bjj and mma. We also have a striking class and group conditioning to round out the mma program.

I made an error, we dont have cross training persay but my instructor is a blackbelt in bjj and hes also very good at judo, so he cross trains so i guess by affiliation we do to.

none of the options really applied... We just do BJJ, but you do know that BJJ includes takedowns from Judo and Wrestling?

I am not sure of my instructors wrestling or Judo credentials, but he is a million times better than any of the students so that is all that matters.

our gym offers wrestling jiu jitsu judo and mma , you can attend all of them

yes we have some high level wrestlers that work out with us and a shit load of judo black belts and brown belts. one 5th degree black belt in judo and one 3rd degree black belt in judo. then we have a brown and a shit load of blue belts in bjj. and a couple of blues getting ready for their purple:icon_chee

That's the thing. You have people who are trained in wrestling and judo, but do they teach classes or techniques on a regular basis?

I made an error, we dont have cross training persay but my instructor is a blackbelt in bjj and hes also very good at judo, so he cross trains so i guess by affiliation we do to.

I would consider that bjj with judo crosstraining if coming from an instructor who is an expert in both.

The poll was just to see the amount of skills being trained at bjj clubs. Pretty impressive actually, imo, in what it seems how far bjj will evolve.

Back