Does Weight Cutting Lead To More KOs? If So, Why Would They Change It?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
Seems like an obvious answer, but to play devils advocate, what if having fully hydrated fighters leads to less knockouts and overall stoppages in general?

Could it actually be that by doing nothing about weight cutting, it might make your product more exciting? Barring ONE FC and their weight cutting policy, no one else has done much about it. CSAC added more weight classes, but they are not in use by major promotions.

The UFC brought in USADA, and they banned IV use, but that was more because of it being used to mask certain PEDs. The fact that they couldn't use it to rehydrate as heavy was a side effect. Other then that, the UFC hasn't really done anything to stop weight cutting.

Could it be that by having the fighters a little bit drained actually might work in the promotions favor? If a fighter is a little bit drained from a weight cut, then his or her cardio will not be as good and getting tapped or overwhelmed with strikes might be more likely? Same goes with knockouts, your chin just isn't as good when you are drained.

To a casual fan, they just see a guy getting knocked out. They may not be aware of what happened leading up to the weigh in and particularly what kind of things they are doing to their body.

Another thing is that by having the fighters cut weight, it makes them look super ripped similar to how a bodybuilder cuts down for competition. The result is that you really see some rather impressive physiques in MMA. Again, casual fans probably don't understand this or have a clue how and why they are so lean.

When Conor came to the UFC, he wanted to fight at 155, but they contracted him for 145. Obviously it was a safer bet bringing him up in a division where he would be the bigger guy would improve his chances of winning. By him winning, they were able to create a star out of him. They didn't really care about his wellness, they just did what would be best for business. Fortunately for Conor this worked out for him as he won the title, but for many fighters they end up on the receiving end of a brutal stoppage.

Definitely a factor. The brain is an organ too

It's pointless to ask the sherdog forums any questions that require math or science understanding.

Do people get KO'd more often in the UFC and Bellator than in ONEFC?

I don't watch enough ONE to know but that would be the answer to your question

<mma4>

Savage. Maybe there should be a minimum amount of weight everyone must cut before a fight. Get that brain nice and dry for optimal violence.

Where are the stats to back it up? If extreme weight cutting leads to more KOs then there'd be stats to back it up and it's what CSAC would use to justify their fight night weigh ins and rehydration limits. It sounds like the sort of thing that commentators say just because they think it's right without the need for any facts or evidence to back it up.

It seems like as many UFC fighters are hospitalised before their fights as a result of trying to cut too much weight as are hospitalised after the fights (obviously they're not but it happens often enough). Losing fights due to a weight cut and fighters failing to miss weight is bad.

Mismatches cause more KOs then weight cuts. People can watch lower level orgs to simply see KOs. Its seeing the best vs the best that I like or used to like when the UFC actually did that.

Being dehydrated definitely makes you more likely to get knocked out.

But is that what they want? Fans like seeing fighters TAKE shots and keep fighting. In my opinion that's more exciting than 1st round knockouts.

Not so much as weight cutting just causes more brain damage/severe concussions.

The effect of weight cutting on water/cushion loss around the brain has probably little to do with the mechanical process of getting knocked unconscious by a strike. In one instance you have the brain literally being smacked around in the skull. Being knocked out generally involves head torque.

So, most likely, but not to any huge degree.

TS is sadistic and has probably never been in a fight before. I doubt he even plays a sport.

People die this way dumbass. I bet next you'll be suggesting for Ngannou to be allowed to fight Featherweights. Stick to WWE, MMA isn't for you.

From a pure calculation, I dont think its worth endangering fighters because they might get finished more often. Something terrible could happen and lead to anti MMA sentiment and that risk isnt worth the incrememental finish excitement. Plus, I dont think the UFC is that calculated about it. They obviously are far from Mother Theresa, but they are probably largely indifferent to these topics. They just care about selling fights and signing fighters to good contracts. If the commission and the public really want these changes, they will probably support it because there is no huge downside. But they dont care either way probably.

What if no weight cut makes for more KOs as the fighters have more power?

Back