• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does Sambo always beat BJJ?

It sucks to be a clueless person in someone's guard. I tap judoka from guard all the time.

Otherwise it is pretty neutral position. If I control your hips there nothing you can do to attack. I tap less experienced people with Ezeqiel, Trusting choke and Kimura from their guards.

I think the reason is more to get sambists acquainted with closed guard rather than use attacks from guard.

I wasn't talking about clueless people at all. I'm certainly not one. I have to do much more work defending closed guard than open guard. It's like being outgripped in Judo (actually realizing this analogy improved my closed guard).

Maybe Uchi Mata can comment better, but I think being in a closed guard is a disadvantage even at higher belt levels. A few black belts in my area have guards as dangerous as as if they have your back or you mounted.

It is simple logic that a style more similar to MMA will make someone better at MMA.

Martial arts practicioners around the globe give a lot of credit to sambo, they know about its effectiveness but a lot of people don't have a complete idea of what it really is, associating it just with leglocks and kneebars. However, Sambo is a complete system, having a great variety of throws, ground techniques and striking in its arsenal.
Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of good Sambo coaches outside of Russia and former USSR, neither there hasn't been a lot of English-language tutorials on the for a while. Now there is an English-language youtube channel with video tutorials on sambo, and also its use in BJJ and MMA competition. The guys are doing some great work on giving expansion to Russian martial arts traditions that have been proved to be legit throughout the years.
Youtube Channel: youtube.com/battlebeetle
A couple of videos:

I mean look at Khabib. He destroyed two very skilled grapplers at their own game in Thiago Tavares and Rafael Dos Anjos. In the early days of MMA, Fedor raped BJJ God Nogueira. Only example of BJJ pulling through I can think of is Werdum triangling Fedor, and that was because he slipped up I think.
Thoughts?
Well Renzo beat Taktarov so no.

I will say Sambo seems to have more in common with MMA than BJJ.

But today it is about the athlete not the style. The style wars are over.

Back