Does BJJ build a certain style of physique?

He lost a bronze medal match two years ago.. Yet he is no longer top twenty?

Travis is competing in the Copa Podio Heavyweight GP on February 1st...

Has he officially retired Judo? because according to that interview and considering that he competed at an A+ tournament mere 2 months ago, it seems that Travis just has BJJ on the side while still competing in Judo.

He lost a bronze medal match two years ago.. Yet he is no longer top twenty?

By commenting on this ignorant statement i risk opening a flame war...

So ill just tell you one thing, there is an actual official judo ranking updated by the IJF after every major competition, you can look it up, Travis Stevens is ranked 21 right now.

Lol, so because he is one spot removed he obviously doesn't count.

Lol, so because he is one spot removed he obviously doesn't count.

You used him as an example of someone who left judo to compete BJJ, considering he just competed in a fucking Grand Slam, i dont see how he "left judo for BJJ".

I was responding to this:

"Name me one Judoka turned BJJ while they were still relevant in the judo world (at least top 20)."

I gave you an example of a judoka, turned BJJ by frequently doing tournaments, and now you changed your stance to having left judo entirely and that Stevens doesn't count since he is only #21.

I was responding to this:

"Name me one Judoka turned BJJ while they were still relevant in the judo world (at least top 20)."

I gave you an example of a judoka, turned BJJ by frequently doing tournaments, and now you changed your stance to having left judo entirely and that Stevens doesn't count since he is only #21.

No, im questioning the fact that Travis Stevens 2013 was a "guy who left judo f BJJ" because he did some small tournaments, considering he competed in 2 grand prixes and 1 grand slam during that year.

Whats next? you are going to say that Ben Henderson is a MMA guy turned BJJ because he competed in the PanAms 2013? Did you even saw the interview that shows he was training judo over 3 hours a day on top of BJJ and S&C during 2013?

Since you seem to be just an ignorant poster ill just stop.

Maybe in 2014 Travis will become a full time BJJ and drop judo, but then his ranking will drop dramatically and he wont even be a top 50 or even top 100, judo is an insanely competitive sport, you just dont have guys giving seminars year round, roid, train 2-3 months and then clear their divisions, you need to compete year round in judo to earn qualifying points and there is always injuries and new guns around the corner.

And no im not moving the goalposts, my post was a reply, therefore that context is important, you cant just barge in against a reply and claim you were arguing something else, thats the definition of strawman.

Has he officially retired Judo? because according to that interview and considering that he competed at an A+ tournament mere 2 months ago, it seems that Travis just has BJJ on the side while still competing in Judo.

By commenting on this ignorant statement i risk opening a flame war...

So ill just tell you one thing, there is an actual official judo ranking updated by the IJF after every major competition, you can look it up, Travis Stevens is ranked 21 right now.

He hasn't retired from Judo yet, but he seems to be setting himself up for a transition, that's all I was saying.

Travis might fight Rodolfo on February 1, anyone watching that match will notice a bit of a physique discrepancy... Then again they don't test for steroids in BJJ... Kind of a disadvantage for Trav.

He hasn't retired from Judo yet, but he seems to be setting himself up for a transition, that's all I was saying.

Travis might fight Rodolfo on February 1, anyone watching that match will notice a bit of a physique discrepancy... Then again they don't test for steroids in BJJ... Kind of a disadvantage for Trav.

His judo career is pretty much over, he is old in judo terms, only really succesful judoka manage to get competitive at that age, if you didnt cut it by that age, chances, most likely you wont cut it at all.

High competitive judo is very injury prone and they compete year round, their bodies are just destroyed by the time they reach that age.

He is certainly not going to compete in BJJ because there is more money or its more prestigious, thats a ridiculous statement.

His judo career is pretty much over, he is old in judo terms, only really succesful judoka manage to get competitive at that age, if you didnt cut it by that age, chances, most likely you wont cut it at all.

High competitive judo is very injury prone and they compete year round, their bodies are just destroyed by the time they reach that age.

He is certainly not going to compete in BJJ because there is more money or its more prestigious, thats a ridiculous statement.

Dude, in America these days, there is more money in BJJ than in Judo. Way more.

Dude, in America these days, there is more money in BJJ than in Judo. Way more.

Teaching? yes. Seminars? maybe. Competing? no, just no.

Also doesnt changes the fact that Travis changed from Judo to BJJ for the money, he hasnt even changed at all, he started training in 2012 after a 6 years break and he still trained high performance judo since he competed and placed in an A tournament in 21 dec 2013.

So when did he made the change again? when does he specified he did it for the money? and when he does, will he still be top 20 in judo?

Who are these guys who are ranked top 20 in judo but drop it and go for the money you mentioned? because as far as i can tell you can only say its Ronda who quit judo in 2008 and then went to do MMA in 2010, and Travis who competed in high performance judo extensively in 2013, yet he "totally dropped judo" because he got a black belt from Renzo Gracie, as if you could just waltz into an A tournament and do ok without training judo year round.

Here is a recent interview of Travis on the support of BJJ competitors

Travis:

I never said grappling in specific. People with fat body types are drawn to buffets. Buffets do not cause people to be fat; it is their eating habits. But since you asked, Judokas are just tougher people in general. They will be more likely to do physically hard things that will help them physically in matches. 99% of your people in a BJJ class will not do those things in general to a point where it changes their physique.

Just take a look around at your next BJJ class. Do more guys look like your IT guy Steve? or do they look like Sean Sherk?

Literally everyone in my bjj gym is a hell of a lot more muscular and athletic than you're average person and every competition I've been to the vast majority of people (above white belt) have looked like athletes. Maybe its different where you are though.

No offence but if bjj fighters are so weak and unathletic then why aren't you winning adcc and the mundials?

Literally everyone in my bjj gym is a hell of a lot more muscular and athletic than you're average person and every competition I've been to the vast majority of people (above white belt) have looked like athletes. Maybe its different where you are though.

No offence but if bjj fighters are so weak and unathletic then why aren't you winning adcc and the mundials?

I think what Holt was referring to was average BJJ hobbyists. The average hobbyists are not usually super fit.

As far Mundial and ADCC winners, those guys are elite competitors and basically train full-time, so of course they're gonna be super athletic, fit, and sharp at grappling. A hobbyist isn't gonna step in and win Mundials or ADCC.

There are a lot of insecure BJJers in here that are butt hurt by Dirty Holt's blunt, but accurate remarks. I've been doing BJJ for about 5 1/2 years, 4 stripe purple, and I used to wrestle as well. I will have to agree that BJJ doesn't do much for physique. Compared to wrestlers (and probably Judoka's like dirty mentioned) most BJJers aren't as mentally tough and also do not have to reply on athleticism as much.

I would bet my opinion of what someone who is jacked looks like and yours is way different. I wasnt comparing BJJ practitioners to fat out of shape average joes. I was comparing them to athletes in other sports.

Because the top .000000001% of BJJ athletes who enter ADCC are jacked as fuck. Are you now going to tell me that most BJJ athletes have the physical likeness of Galvao, Cyborg, or Cobrinha? Dont use the ultra elite as your measuring stick of the masses. Im sure there are a few jacked offensive linemen in the NFL. Offensive linemen usually draw a certain body type as well, and it rhymes with lard ass.

I would bet my opinion of what someone who is jacked looks like and yours is way different. I wasnt comparing BJJ practitioners to fat out of shape average joes. I was comparing them to athletes in other sports.

This is completely fair, although it apparently wasn't clear from your original post. That said, I think they compare just fine to hobbyists in other sports. Of course, those hobbyists don't take themselves as seriously as many bjj guys.

If you're comparing the "average" hobbyist in BJJ, then you have to use an average hobbyist from other sports, I.E. comparing your average BJJer to a collegiate wrestler is an absurd comparison, for reasons that have nothing to do with the nature of the sports. Comparing your average BJJ guy with your average, non-competitive pickup basketball player is much more fair. If you argue other sports are more competitive and focused on the high levels as a whole, that's fine, but then you do have to make comparisons to the guys placing/competing at the higher levels.

If you argue other sports are more competitive and focused on the high levels as a whole, that's fine, but then you do have to make comparisons to the guys placing/competing at the higher levels.

My original post said exactly this. BJJ attracts practitioners who are less likely to be serious about the strength and conditioning than something like say football, crossfit, or wrestling.

Kind of hard to argue with me when 90% of the sport's practitioners say that strength is irrelevant. Its not a big leap for me to say BJJ practitioners are less prone to build up their body by doing extra work outside of class.

My original post said exactly this. BJJ attracts practitioners who are less likely to be serious about the strength and conditioning than something like say football, crossfit, or wrestling.

Kind of hard to argue with me when 90% of the sport's practitioners say that strength is irrelevant. Its not a big leap for me to say BJJ practitioners are less prone to build up their body by doing extra work outside of class.

Everyone except me and maybe 2 others in my bjj class lift on a regular basis.

Back