Does anyone think a Cerrone Pettis rematch could be one of the best MMA fights ever?

emax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Now, I do have a recollection of how Pettis picked apart Cerrone the first time, and am aware that Pettis at this point may simply be miles ahead of everyone in his division just like Jones is and like Anderson and GSP were at their peaks. Having said that, it really does seem like Cerrone is not just building massive momentum but seems to be getting better at using all the elements of his kickboxing arsenal in his MMA striking in every round and has just in general been fighting way better than he ever has. Now I don't really think his odds of winning this fight are good at all but I think at this point it is becoming more possible that it could be one of the most worthwhile fights ever. And yet even after last night some of the Sherdog masses have been underestimating him. I read numerous asinine posts dismissively saying he'll end up fighting Diaz and Diaz will just wreck him again. Never mind the fact that in their last fight Cerrone seemed to forget about at least 1/3 of his MT arsenal for a couple rounds, Nate seems to be as much of a mental wreck as his older brother, his last fight was an embarrassment and his last win was against a guy who is just completely shot and pretty much unable to fight. And as far as it being impossible, again I cannot help but think about Aldo Mendes 2 vs Aldo Mendes 1.

Am I the only one? What say you?

Shitty thing is if Dos Anjos would have lost to Benson, this would have been the fight we got.

The fight goes exactly like the first fight. Cerrone always starts out slow, and even if he tries coming out harder, Pettis still picks him apart via superior stand up and fight IQ.

No, not at all Cerrone doesn't have the tools to beat Pettis.

Nope. Haven't seen the improvements from Cerrone that I need to see to get excited for that fight.

Pettis easily beating Cerrone the first time just proves how damn good he is. Cerrone is a very good fighter and Pettis walked through him.. kinda insane to think about that

Not really. I think it's been pretty conclusively shown over the course of their careers that Pettis is better everywhere and does better against elite competition. Since his hiccup against clay guida pettis had dominated themost elite of ufc competition. Cerrone always has had trouble stepping up to that next level. Could be a fun fight but the outcome would probably never be in much doubt...

Last edited:
I think it would be more competitive than the first fight, but Pettis would finish him within the 5 rounds.
But it'd still be great, no matter what happens. I'd pay to see it.

ceronne rocks pettis and subs him in the rematch. Cowboy all day

The fight goes exactly like the first fight. Cerrone always starts out slow, and even if he tries coming out harder, Pettis still picks him apart via superior stand up and fight IQ.

He didn't start out slow last night. He dominated a very good striker from start to finish.

A rematch would be far more competetive. For those who don't see an improved Cerrone, you're either blind or your "fight IQ's" are minimal.

Cerrone gets put down just like last time. Pettis is a monster at 155.

No, because Pettis would beat the shit out of him again.
Cerrone can't handle his speed.

Not really. I think it's been pretty conclusively shown over the course of their careers that Pettis is better everywhere and does better against elite competition.

He wasn't better on his back vs Guida...

Pettis beat him cleanly enough to the point were I'm not thinking rematch

I do think Cerrone has improved

but

I think Pettis beats him without too much trouble again. I think RDA would beat Cerrone again as well. I think Khabib would beat him. I think Benson would beat him if they had a 3rd fight

He didn't start out slow last night. He dominated a very good striker from start to finish.

A rematch would be far more competetive. For those who don't see an improved Cerrone, you're either blind or your "fight IQ's" are minimal.

Good is the key word there. Pettis is a superior striker. Pettis would've completely annihilated the Jury that showed up last night and he would've done it inside the 1st.

Pettis would finish Cowboy in the first round every time if they fought every day until the end of time. He's just the worst matchup in the whole of the UFC for Cerrone. Woefully inferior in every aspect of mma, and two whole levels above cowboy. A completely different league altogether.

I love me some Cowboy, except for his company man gig, but Pettis' speed and athleticism is always going to give Cerrone big problems. While Cowboy's mental game is seeming a little more consistent Showtime rarely shows any problem there.

I'd pull for him but he loses to Pettis in the third, TKO via punches/gnp

Back