Does anyone else like to pass from half guard?

vern_Fonk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That is when the legs open, prefer to pass from 1/2 guard--to mount or SC then just straight to SC? I've had alot of success recently by killing off the knee, feeding it to half guard and keeping the opponent pinned down via a combination of shoulder pressure and underhook.

Could you rephrase your question?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean...

if you're asking if I would rather pass from half than full guard, then sure, clearing one leg is easier.

Uh ... what else would you do? I mean you can pretty much pass, or be swept by your opponent. You don't have much choice except to pass, except maybe a few minor subs.

I think I can speak for everyone who has ever rolled BJJ that they like to pass to dominant position when caught in halfguard.

I like to tickle my opponent until they are sick... then change my Gi because I have sick all over me... Which is a problem as I only have one gi.

i made a thread a while ago i think wehre he is going with this that instead of trying to pass teh full gaurd get to half guard then star tthinking about passing like people do in competition mode - aka watch marcelos matches almost everytime its to half guard then pass

In MMA it would be fine to remain in half guard. But if you're talking straight BJJ, then ofcourse. There are many more options once you get to Side Control or Mount.

As I like to say: pass from wherever you can and whatever your opponent gives you. I actually prefer passing the open guard, some people have very dynamic half guards that can give you fits.

There is NO half guard in mma. Being on bottom in half guard in mma is just as bad as being in side control.

As I like to say: pass from wherever you can and whatever your opponent gives you. I actually prefer passing the open guard, some people have very dynamic half guards that can give you fits.

There is NO half guard in mma. Being on bottom in half guard in mma is just as bad as being in side control.

Couture actually prefers top half guard to top side control in MMA, because he feels the guy on bottom is more stuck in place.

I think the guy means he prefers to break the guard, move into half guard, and then procede to move to mount or sidemount.

Rather then just passing the guard straight into a dominant position.

Couture actually prefers top half guard to top side control in MMA, because he feels the guy on bottom is more stuck in place.

plus it's an excellent place for short elbows, VERY difficult to guard if you have somebody with a strong base on top of you. you probably have a better chance to escape from side control than half guard in mma.

unless youre big nog and its round 5, youve been beat up the past 4 rounds but one of the few times you actually are on the ground in bottom half guard, you pull a sick sweep in no time and then go on to win it :)

that is if i remember the fight correctly, i believe the sweep was from half guard

unless youre big nog and its round 5, youve been beat up the past 4 rounds but one of the few times you actually are on the ground in bottom half guard, you pull a sick sweep in no time and then go on to win it :)

that is if i remember the fight correctly, i believe the sweep was from half guard

If you're talking about the nog vs sylvia fight, it was in the 3rd, but impressive nonetheless

If you're talking about the nog vs sylvia fight, it was in the 3rd, but impressive nonetheless

it felt like the 5th to me man, i went balls-crazy when he pulled that sweep

he was seriously getting beat on (not 100) but a majority in the standup, and watching his failed takedown attempts saddened me, it was a great day though

Back