Does any1 remember what was the talk before Lesnar MMA debut?

barillas

🔥CHAMA Belt🔥
@Brown
Reaction score
Does any1 remember what was the talk before Lesnar MMA debut against that asian guy?
Anyone hyped him much?

well,it was clear,wether it was who he wound up fighting,or HMC,the expectation was hes gonna be able at least to take the guy to the ground,and so he could win. Most people didnt want him in mma,though. Most americans dont want to mix their pro wrestling with their mma like Pride did.

everyone knew he'd kill "that asian guy", and there was lots of hype.

well,it was clear,wether it was who he wound up fighting,or HMC,the expectation was hes gonna be able at least to take the guy to the ground,and so he could win. Most people didnt want him in mma,though. Most americans dont want to mix their pro wrestling with their mma like Pride did.

Hong Man Choi?

He was treated as an invader when he debuted in the UFC against Mir.

Most people enjoyed seeing him get humbled. I think his raw aggression and power impressed a lot of people in that first fight though, and made his detractors want to see him compete again.

I'd say most people weren't too thrilled about it at the time, and a lot of folks viewed his eventual UFC signing as some kind of mainstream copout at first

I thought his fight with the Asian guy was pretty under-the-radar. He managed to get that under his belt without people talking all that much about it, at least as I recall.

Most people didn't even know that fight had occurred when he signed to fight Mir.

It was clear the guy had potential even in the mir loss,but alot didnt want to admit it,and the rustles got jimmied badly when he dominated herring like he did.

It was clear the guy had potential even in the mir loss,but alot didnt want to admit it,and the rustles got jimmied badly when he dominated herring like he did.

Nobody will admit it, but folks actually thought Herring was going to crush Lesnar. Then they thought Couture was going to kill him. Then they thought Mir was going to kill him. Then they thought Carwin was going to kill him.

Now, the Shertard concensus is that Lesnar beat a bunch of overrated has beens, and cans, and then got humiliated once he "stepped up" in competition.

Nobody will admit it, but folks actually thought Herring was going to crush Lesnar. Then they thought Couture was going to kill him. Then they thought Mir was going to kill him. Then they thought Carwin was going to kill him.

Now, the Shertard concensus is that Lesnar beat a bunch of overrated has beens, and cans, and then got humiliated once he "stepped up" in competition.

i thought herring would win too,but they actually very cleverly booked the right opponent for brock,probably basing it off of herrings match with kerr,in that he got taken down and laid on alot. Yes,kerr eventually lost that fight,but Brock they figured could do better,and he did. All of herrings usual reversals..Brock was too quick and too good on top to let herring off the hook.

He was treated as an invader when he debuted in the UFC against Mir.

Perfect way of putting it. Many MMA fans couldn't deal with an "actor" being signed to the UFC, and completely ignored his physical capabilities, wrestling credentials, and drawing power.

I don't know why peoples "rustles got jimmied". The guy was a NCAA Division 1 heavyweight wrestling champion and a 280 pound genetic freak. It was clear he was going to be able to do some damage. If CM Punk on the other hand, coming in at 36 years of age with zero combat sports training is able to do some damage - that should rustle a few feathers. He wont though, so it's ok.

I remember Dana was real high up on him but i didnt think Brock would actually sign

I don't know why peoples "rustles got jimmied". The guy was a NCAA Division 1 heavyweight wrestling champion and a 280 pound genetic freak. It was clear he was going to be able to do some damage. If CM Punk on the other hand, coming in at 36 years of age with zero combat sports training is able to do some damage - that should rustle a few feathers. He wont though, so it's ok.

because Herring was a long time vet,and brock was 1 - 1 and quite the polarizing figure. In that age where MMA was just finally starting to get hot,they didnt want this pro wrestler (thats all theyd ever see him as) makin their guys look like chumps. Its really clear though when he and mir faced off the guy is really a freak hahaha. No one on earth looks like brock.

I was a huge pro wrestling fan in the 90's but completely stopped watching or following it by 2000-2001. I had vaguely heard about Brock Lesnar at work sometime around 2002 and chalked him up as a Goldberg imitator. I didn't think it was all that big of a deal for him to fight in the UFC because I didn't really know who he was. I do remember being firmly against him getting a title shot with a 2-1 record. I thought that was some real horseshit at the time. He earned my respect when he beat Randy outright but I still felt like they were overly protective of him. I was a big Brock hater but I was young and stupid and insecure though, didn't really understand how the MMA business worked at the time. Looking back now that whole build up to UFC 100 and the way things happened was pretty fucking awesome.

i thought herring would win too,but they actually very cleverly booked the right opponent for brock,probably basing it off of herrings match with kerr,in that he got taken down and laid on alot. Yes,kerr eventually lost that fight,but Brock they figured could do better,and he did. All of herrings usual reversals..Brock was too quick and too good on top to let herring off the hook.

Oddly enough, the thing that truly decided the fight, was the punch that nearly sent Herring into the front row in the first five seconds. Brock was fighting half a man after that shot.

Herring wasn't any more of a favorable opponent than Mir though. Nobody really knew what to make of Lesnar. The biggest myth on Sherdog, is that the UFC booked Lesnar favorably. A 1-0 fighter getting Mir, Herring, and Couture in their first three fights is the opposite of favorable booking. I actually believe that back then, the UFC wanted to make an example out of Lesnar, by having this huge ex-Pro wrester get his ass kicked in real fighting.

I thought it was pretty damn funny. I think I expected him to win that fight based on what I saw in Mir 1, but I also thought he might get knocked out.

Back