Do you think DAZN will help or hurt Bellator?

ThatGuy7698

In USADA We Trust
@Brown
Reaction score
Personally I hate the fact how not only is Bellator putting on PPV events, but now they're following the UFC's model of putting entire events exclusively on a shitty streaming service.

Bellator isn't as big as the UFC, and they don't have nearly as many high profile fighters and fights compared to the UFC. I think with this model Bellator will see a decrease in viewership and hurt the company.

What are your thoughts? I just want to watch MMA events on regular TV, not this stupid streaming service crap that you gotta pay extra for.

Personally I hate the fact how not only is Bellator putting on PPV events, but now they're following the UFC's model of putting entire events exclusively on a shitty streaming service.

Bellator isn't as big as the UFC, and they don't have nearly as many high profile fighters and fights compared to the UFC. I think with this model Bellator will see a decrease in viewership and hurt the company.

What are your thoughts? I just want to watch MMA events on regular TV, not this stupid streaming service crap that you gotta pay extra for.

...as opposed to spike/paramount/whatever other channels they were on, that you're pretending were free and didn't require cable tv/etc subscriptions?

They put on one ppv, and never will again, so hardly putting on ppv events.

DAZN could hurt or help them. Only time will tell. Right now, they’re poised to have a profitable year thanks to the deal.

BTw, most events are still on Paramount, which isn’t even a basic cable channel.

Simply put: if DAZN is good and worth money OVERALL, it will help Bellator.
If DAZN is going to suck, Bellator will fail.

But that's long term. Bellator already got huge help from DAZN and sits on good money regardless.
The only way Bellator gets hurt ftom it if DAZN suddenly and abruptly goes belly up

Financially Bellator had to do this deal. It was too good to pass up. It will be the first year they made money strictly because of Dazn. Now it will be interesting to see what they do with this money.

Now from a fan standpoint/exposure/growth it may hurt. Consumers will only buy into so many of these streaming services. Maybe that turns some fans off to Bellator. Paramount isn't helping Bellator in draw in new fans based on the ratings. Don't be surprised if by next year or even by the end of this year Bellator is on a new channel with new owners and this can all be attributed to the DAZN deal.

P.S.: To me the whole DAZN deal is just odd. It was presented for this year that the WW tournament would play out exclusively on Dazn to us fans. So what about 2020? Is the plan to have a different weight class tournament exclusively to DAZN? Are they going to make DAZN shows their premier shows? I think the later maybe what we see going forward. DAZN didn't pay 33 million a year for low drawing events. They are going to want the biggest names Bellator has.

I think they had to do it financially, but when I got it I thought it would have much more exclusive content. I don't expect live boxing or mma every day or anything, but for $10 a month they may not have enough for me personally to pay. Being that most bellator events are still on tv, and fightpass/ESPN+ run 15 a month already.

Also, just starting my ESPN+ trial, they have cbb, mma, boxing, and hockey, not a fan of dazn's cricket or espn+'s tennis, so that's a wash. Therefore, if I have to cut one it will probably be the dazn. I'm gonna give it a little longer though to see if it really gets going though.

I could see a lot of fans possibly feeling the same way, and maybe dropping the service. Bellator got paid though, and that's what they really needed.

The $33m this year from DAZN is more than they ever grossed before in a year.
it was a no brainer to take it.
NOBODY was offering Bellator any money for content & Viacom met with UFC in May to place a bid for them.
Obviously UFC would never go to Viacom if they still owned Bellator.

So do the math & see that they needed DAZN

More info at https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc...ellator-looking-back-at-2018-forward-to-2019/

It may help the revenue but the dazn deal is for sure killing the audience.

DAZN could hurt or help them. Only time will tell.

Simply put: if DAZN is good and worth money OVERALL, it will help Bellator.
If DAZN is going to suck, Bellator will fail.

Here is the thing
DAZN might not be a savior, but that does not mean they will "hurt" Bellator.
Before DAZN, Bellator was losing 25% of their viewers stateside.
They were headed south & unlike UFC they were not making more with less because Viacom is about TV viewers.
The DAZN deal gives them 3 years to get a profitable game plan together.

So even if DAZN is not a huge hit, they certainly helped the company.

Bellator is “winning” in this deal. Like the guys say 33 mil. Is a profitable year for sure. As a fan I’m not paying Dazn at this moment. I’m ok watching on paramount and also a lot of boxing available now without paying extra.

The part that I see falling hard is Dazn. I’m not sure how are they going to recoup this huge investments they are doing? Canelo Álvarez is their biggest asset but still 31.5 mil per fight is horribly overpaid. For a 9.99 fee. Matchroom boxing has been subpar to say the least. Nothing out of the ordinary and Bellator events are basically free cable events no need to pay either. Just my opinion here

I wonder when we will see it start to effect fighter sponsorship.

Here is the thing
DAZN might not be a savior, but that does not mean they will "hurt" Bellator.
Before DAZN, Bellator was losing 25% of their viewers stateside.
They were headed south & unlike UFC they were not making more with less because Viacom is about TV viewers.
The DAZN deal gives them 3 years to get a profitable game plan together.

So even if DAZN is not a huge hit, they certainly helped the company.

That's pretty much what I meant in the second part of my comment...

Back