Do you remember this fight?

conorgoat

KOfinger is my little bitch
@purple
Reaction score
INSANEEEEEEEEEEEEEE low kicks from HELL from Marcos Ruas

Thank you blockbuster. (that was a place where you would rent vhs tapes to play in a vcr)

Yes sir. This was the introduction of leg kicks to UFC fans in the United States. I first saw it on VHS rental from Blockbuster.

Thank you for the memory.

I think this fight is the perfect example why grabbing the fence became against the rules.
Great fight tho, Varelans doesn't get enough credit for being a pretty exciting pioneer

I watched a fight a while back, I think it was a K1 event, with a Boxer Vs a Kickboxer. Over and over the kickboxer would kick the boxers leg. After a few the boxer started trying to block it with his hands and the kickboxer would punch him in the face immediately after. That video reminds me of it.

MMA the death of NHB.

Beautiful old school right there.

king of the streets. I think he was the first guy to ever do the "toe stomps" in the UFC. He was a bad dude for sure, and didn't he train Pedro Rizo? another leg kicking mutha fucker if there ever was one.

Oh hell yeah. Ruas chopped down the giant's beanstalk.

Cecil Peoples scores the fight for Varelans.

8222331.gif

I mean, I saw it after the fact. I don't "remember" it per se, since I wasn't watching it when it happened. Funny to see people in this thread being like "yeah I remember that! I watched it on tape years later!" Might as well say you remember the moon landing, or the Titanic sinking.

That one was fun.

Have to give Varelans credit. Didn't he say he had his own fighting system named SAFTA or something? I'm assuming he was all self-taught. In the early days of UFC, those guys who claimed that stuff got regularly embarassed, but Varelans was a solid competitor for the time.

Tough guy, as we say these days he might have been good if he had a "good camp."

I mean, I saw it after the fact. I don't "remember" it per se, since I wasn't watching it when it happened. Funny to see people in this thread being like "yeah I remember that! I watched it on tape years later!" Might as well say you remember the moon landing, or the Titanic sinking.

I do remember

gallery-movies-titanic-08.jpg

Im in my 30s bro. I seent that shit in the blockbuster.
vhs son,motherfucker what?

raw

Hate to break it to you chief but I did see it live.

I remember getting so frustrated at Varelans cuz it seemed like he was being dumb just walking into those damn leg kicks over and over.

Hate to break it to you chief but I did see it live.

I remember getting so frustrated at Varelans cuz it seemed like he was being dumb just walking into those damn leg kicks over and over.

Lol look how crazy this response is in the context of the thread

"Hate to break it to you" lmaoooo

Yup. This was one of the fights that got me hooked on MMA (and legkicks). To this day I still love a good leg kick TKO.

Ruas was awesome!
The Polar Bear was decently skilled for that day and age though. He just had no answer for the keg kick

Back