• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do you really think this next fight is Jones’s last?

snaportap21

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Jones is only 35. That’s young for heavyweight years. He also just came off of a 3 year long layoff. His body had ample time to let any nagging injuries he may have been dealing with some rest. I think that he may just be saying this as a negotiation tactic. For him to basically do a GSP, (vacate after a dubious decision for 3 years and come back bulked up only to leave very soon) would be such a let down, and kind of anticlimactic. What say y’all do you really think he’s gone after one defense?

I think he will fight some more. Almost all of them find it difficult to let go, some of them obviously letting go way too late.

Jones has not taken a lot of damage over the course of his career either.

Last edited:
Jones needs to do something more, only his nuthuggers are ok with this. For 3 years we thought he was ducking Ngannou pricing himself out, even Dana was making fun of him. Now Ngannou is out and Jones is suddenly in? Ok, bad timing to prove everyone that he wasn't ducking him. But we now have Pavlovich and Jones is picking a 40 year old that hasn't won a fight in 3 years instead. Ok, legacy fight and whatever, but after that he needs to fight Pavlovich.

If he doesn't, then it pretty much proves he was only looking for easy fights and was scared of heavyweights. We were already saying that about him 10 years ago when he had cleaned out the division but he wouldn't move up to fight JDS and Cain. The whole point of moving up was to prove everyone wrong about that, him dodging these killers and fighting these easy fights pretty much confirms it.

Jones is only 35. That’s young for heavyweight years. He also just came off of a 3 year long layoff. His body had ample time to let any nagging injuries he may have been dealing with some rest. I think that he may just be saying this as a negotiation tactic. For him to basically do a GSP, (vacate after a dubious decision for 3 years and come back bulked up only to leave very soon) would be such a let down, and kind of anticlimactic. What say y’all do you really think he’s gone after one defense?

Jon could dominate the HW division for years and rack up 5+ defenses imo, Stipe, than Pavlovich would be his toughest test by far, but than after that he could just rack up the wins against guys such as Tuivasa and Blaydes

Also crazy what Jon has done with basically 5 years of inactivity right in the middle of his prime

35 is not young for an athlete, and it's wild how many people on here insist it is. Anyway yeah I think it is. Unless they throw him a big bag to risk sticking around. But I doubt it.

He did hint at it if the fight was in MSG and he beat Stipe...but hard to say. What if he sheds the pounds and goes back to LHW? Gets that belt one more time then retires?

Yeah...pipe dream.

Not a chance if he keeps winning cleanly. Too much money on the table.

People say he fears losses are silly. The guy is the goat no matter what he does, and his incredible LHW record can't be touched. Once he retires he opportunities to make money are limited for the rest of his life due to his troubles out of the ring. The guy is clearly making more than Francis was offered, so in excess of 10 million a fight. I can't see him turning that down even if it means a loss.

Jones doesn't care he just wants to convince casuals who watch ESPN he's the GOAT

Yes. He knows Stipe is old and shot but still prestigious enough to count as a big win if he beats him. He wants to retire undefeated*, so he's scared to fight the most powerful and dangerous HWs like Pavlovich or Ngannou.

*Besides his dq "loss".

100% his last fight. And if Stipe got injured or something. Gane was Jones’ last fight.

It’s Stipe or nobody.

Not sure he’s made up his mind. If he loses badly, he’s done. If squeaks out another Gus I win, he’s probably done. But if he finishes Stipe like Gane…

sad-maybe-not-xibf2cnis7266phm.gif

I’m definitely not a fan of Jones but if his next fight is his last, I wound at least respect him if he fought Pavlovich. If he fought Stipe, it’s a clearly taking the easy route. Of course, his fans will say “JJ deserves it and happy about him getting paid riding into the sunset”. But I watch MMA so the best can fight the best so we can settle debates. If I want to watch people get rich, I’d be watching the financial news channel.

Depends how much JBJ still enjoys fighting in the UFC.
Depends on whether he feels any stress or pressure to maintain a perfect record.
Depends on whether he has any deep desire or drive to surpass other UFC/LHW/HW records.

I mean, he literally has nothing left to prove at this point. I personally hope he doesn't retire and sets the title defense record for HW so he would have the record for LHW and HW. That would probably be the single greatest accomplishment in the history of the sport if he did that. He's young enough too. Either way, he goes down as the GOAT and there's little left for him at this point.

Back