• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do you miss video rental places?

DiegoLunes

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bored out of my mind today and scanning the streaming sites and I see nothing I want to see. I miss the days of walking the isles of the rental places, looking at VHS covers that looked so cool and mysterious. This gives any movie lover the feels, especially the more rare and exotic films.

BN-QX945_VIDEO1_M_20161123124959.jpg

No, downloading movies is much more convenient. I remember leaving the video store disappointed back in the day because all copies of a particular film was 'out' How ridiculous is that?

However, my first few trips to the video store in the 80's at the height of the video nasty boom in the UK was some magical shit. You're right about the cover art.

No, downloading movies is much more convenient. I remember leaving the video store disappointed back in the day because all copies of a particular film was 'out' How ridiculous is that?
but it made you appreciate the movie more.
When I was a kid, Dolph Lundgren movies were always rented out for weeks when they were new.

Sure, I liked looking at the VHS covers as a kid, but i like how i can order what i want directly from my tv. One thing i do miss though is the audio working normally. Everytime i watch a movie on netflix i have to crank the volume to hear two people mumbling between each other and then practically shit my pants when there's an explosion or music.

seems such a long time ago, I was told to have a film back by 4:30 or whatever time it was.

but it made you appreciate the movie more.
When I was a kid, Dolph Lundgren movies were always rented out for weeks when they were new.

At my local video store before the great blockbuster video buyout you had to go on a fucking waiting list for the new tapes if they were really popular.

I remember me and about 5 friends all would put our separate names down for new stuff, and whoever came up first we would all go to that guys house and watch it together!

it was different but yeah, it sure made it more of an experience. Picking the film, more anticipation, the whole movie night atmosphere with preparing popcorn or whatever. By the time 20th century fox rolled on the tv after hitting play you were all snug and immersed. And I enjoyed movies that today wouldnt even watch due to lower score.
Today I check 20 movies and scored, pick three just in case, usually skip the credits, If I find certain parts boring just skim through etc... The whole experience has become less...

Not at all. First, the libraries here have a ton of good-movie DVDs. If the one you want isn't near a branch near your home it can be sent to that branch in a couple of days. Second, I can stream a ton of stuff. Just watched a great movie last night on my computer called The Exam. Doubt I could have even found that one at Blockbuster. Third, my city has several cinemas which show movies that I like, there are good movie festivals here from time to time, and there are even a few local venues that show free movies sometimes.

I see going to Blockbuster and the like a part of a happy past, but I don't miss that experience because as far as I'm concerned nothing is lacking for me in the present. But just in case I do get nostalgic, there is a great DVD rental place a couple of blocks away. Don't know how they're still going, but they are. Haven't been there in a decade. If you mean missing the look and feel of VHS places, again, nice memory but no need to keep it going.

They need an adult selection for the RedBox machines...

Yeah.

But we still have family videos around here. Unfortunately, they are farther than what i wanna drive for a movie

Not at all. First, the libraries here have a ton of good-movie DVDs. If the one you want isn't near a branch near your home it can be sent to that branch in a couple of days. Second, I can stream a ton of stuff. Just watched a great movie last night on my computer called The Exam. Doubt I could have even found that one at Blockbuster. Third, my city has several cinemas which show movies that I like, there are good movie festivals here from time to time, and there are even a few local venues that show free movies sometimes.

I see going to Blockbuster and the like a part of a happy past, but I don't miss that experience because as far as I'm concerned nothing is lacking for me in the present. But just in case I do get nostalgic, there is a great DVD rental place a couple of blocks away. Don't know how they're still going, but they are. Haven't been there in a decade. If you mean missing the look and feel of VHS places, again, nice memory but no need to keep it going.
Real movie lovers never liked Blockbuster.

At my local video store before the great blockbuster video buyout you had to go on a fucking waiting list for the new tapes if they were really popular.

I remember me and about 5 friends all would put our separate names down for new stuff, and whoever came up first we would all go to that guys house and watch it together!
<45> yeah, I remember that shit,

''have you got *****?''

'' yes, but they're all out at the moment'' {probably 3 copies}

''well i'll book it, hows Thursday this week ?'' <45>

my mate's dad, worked the doors at some local pubs and stuff, work at one of my town's first stores, he knocked on the doors of late rentals. <45>

Last edited:
I missed it. Always a special place to go to with my dad to rent movies and games.

Seeing all the new releases across the walls and the aisles in the center of the store by order of genres. Seeing movie covers and being intrigued enough to read the back of the box to know what the movie is about.

Sure all digital now is convenient but there’s something about going to the store and just explore around for something new or gun straight for that title you had in mind.

Back