Do you like shirts with plastisol ink or waterbase ink?

Eternal Unltd1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am trying to get some feedback on what kind of ink people prefer on their shirts. For those who don't know, plastisol ink is the kind of ink that has a heavier feel to it, but is typically brighter in color after you wash it. Waterbase ink is ink with a very soft feel, that tends to be a little less bright than plastisol.

The positives to plastisol are that it retains a brighter color and tends to "pop" more off of your shirt. Think of a tapout or Warrior wear type t shirt. The negatives to plastisol are that plastisol ink has a heavy hand, or feel to it, and tends to crack over time.

The positives to waterbase ink is that it has virtually no hand, or feel, and gives a more natural or worn look. It also never cracks. The negative aspect to waterbase ink is can have less "pop" to it, although some people prefer this kind of look. Think of an Affliction or Eternal Unltd type shirt.

We are currently using waterbase ink for all of our shirts because we like the look and feel of waterbase ink. We have had great feedback from our customers on the soft hand of our shirts, but are now designing our next season of clothing and would like to know what people prefer. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I don't dig the "pop" kind of printing and don't see it as a positive actually, so I'd stay away from plastisol if I could get the same design in waterbase. Just my preference. I bought one Tapout shirt, and didn't care for the kind of printing they used. Affliction, though disliked as much as Tapout by many here, has much better printing/ink. No "poppy" feel when you run your hands over it.

I prefer waterbase, because you dont need to worry about the design being messed up.

I would continue with your current way of doing things. I have a couple of your shirts and they are great. I cannot wait to see what your new shirts look like.

i love your shirts as they are now. i have two new ones on the way from mmawarehouse.

Thanks a lot for the great feedback and support! We were hoping to get this kind of reaction from you guys...I am glad that you guys like the waterbase because I think it makes for a nicer shirt too. It's more expensive to print but it doesn't mean you have to charge $60 for a shirt! Thanks again for the feedback. I just did a bunch of technique vids with Jake Shields and am doing a bunch with Nick and Nate Diaz tommorow. Once we get them edited I will begin posting the Technique of the Week videos EVERY week to our new Eternal UnlTV page and to sherdog. I'll let you guys know when they are up if you want to check them out.

Waterbase for me :)

Also I sent you guys a PM. Please let me know if you got it,

Thanks!

Another vote for waterbase, especially if it's a shirt I'm going to train in. The heavier type of ink feels like it traps in heat and sweat.

Another vote for waterbase, especially if it's a shirt I'm going to train in. The heavier type of ink feels like it traps in heat and sweat.

Good point on the heat trapping...if it has a large surface area of plastisol it would trap some heat in. If you train hard in shirts with plastisol they sometimes crack and tear as well. I'm thinking we might have a few shirts with plastisol for our next season to satisfy our customers who want that kind of look/feel and keep the rest of our line in waterbase.

I think the consensus is waterbase. I always like shirts that look like the design is part of the shirt and not like it was printed on the shirt if you know what I mean. Waterbase ink looks as though the shirt and the ink are one piece of clothing while the other kind is obviously 2 seperate pieces; the shirt and the print on the shirt. Does that make any sense?

I think the consensus is waterbase. I always like shirts that look like the design is part of the shirt and not like it was printed on the shirt if you know what I mean. Waterbase ink looks as though the shirt and the ink are one piece of clothing while the other kind is obviously 2 seperate pieces; the shirt and the print on the shirt. Does that make any sense?

Yeah I get what your saying. That is one of the things that I like about it too. Another cool technique that we might try is mixing waterbase with some parts of the design being printed with plastisol, so that it has a multi dimensional look to it but still has the waterbase as the background or supporting imager of the design. We might even try this with foil. What do you think about that?

Yeah I get what your saying. That is one of the things that I like about it too. Another cool technique that we might try is mixing waterbase with some parts of the design being printed with plastisol, so that it has a multi dimensional look to it but still has the waterbase as the background or supporting imager of the design. We might even try this with foil. What do you think about that?

I personally like the "part of the" shirt feel to a design. Do you do your own in house printing? Had any success with mixing the two styles?

Foil? I have seen this on Affliction shirts and honestly did not care for it much. It seems a tad too flashy and the EU look seems to be understated (which is very cool).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back