Do you have favorite sides?

FLMikeATT

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do you have favorite sides on which your techniques are more effective? I ask because some of my moves are more effective when I attack a particular side.

For example, when in closed guard, I almost always look for the armbar on the right arm. It feels more natural. I also look to armdrag and take the back on my opponents right arm. Also in closed guard, when I attack with a kimura, hip bump, or omoplata, it's almost always on the left arm. I try to mix things up so it's harder for my opponents to figure out my moves, but invariably, I end up going after my favorite side.

Also, when in half guard, I greatly prefer to be in half guard and trapping my opponents' right leg. My half guard game is much better when on the right leg than on the left.

When I'm side mounted, I find it easier to escape when my opponent is on my right side.

In standup grappling, my Seio Nagi is much better on the right arm, as are my hip throws. I like going for ankle picks and singles on the left leg.

I know the moves are the same no matter which side they are performed from, but with certain moves, some sides are just easier and feel more natural. Should I spend more time making my game "ambidextrous"?.

Do you guys have side preferences?

very few people are truely ambidexterous. most people that say they are, are either left handed or lying.

Mikey has it. I can play from both sides. but favor one big time. I also use completely different techs on different sides.

very few people are truely ambidexterous. most people that say they are, are either left handed or lying.

from what I have seen in several sports left handed people are way more doublehanded then right thou

I don't have a preference for sides I think,

differnt gripes works best with differnt hands for me, the normal sleeve lapel grip I would do as a righty but the sleeve + behind back I would rahter do as a lefty

if I go for a RNC I choke with my left arm

would never attempt a triangle with my right leg thou as I would likely blow out my knee:icon_cry2

Thanks guys. I guess it's pretty normal then. I still want to get better at attacking both sides so my game doesn't become predictable, but I guess that will come with time.

An example from the other day is when I had half guard on a guys' left leg. I tried to get the lockdown, but I did it wrong because I spend most of my time in half guard on the right leg. It opened my eyes because I felt kind of vulnerable. I still was able to shrimp back into guard, but it felt weird. Half guard on the right leg is so natural, and left feels unnatural.

I'm going to work on this one.

from what I have seen in several sports left handed people are way more doublehanded then right thou

that is always the case. mainly because the world is designed for their right, and their brain is designed for their left. it works out good for them in the long run, but being temporarily left-handed myself i can assure you it's a pain in the ass, lol :icon_chee

I feel the same way. I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I definitely favor one side depending on the move/position.

would be cool to know which grapplers/fighters are lefties

Armbar and armdrag from guard on opponent's right arm, kimura and omoplata from guard on opponent's left arm ... damn, I'm predictable. :redface:

I tend to feel more comfortable going for certain sweeps on one side more than the other. Also my left side is a lot more flexible than my right so when I go for a triangle I usually prefer to trap the left arm because its easier for me to get my left ankle under my right knee than the other way around.

hrm i like to flower sweep to my left, scissor sweep to my right, like my right leg rubber guard better than my left, arm bars i have no preference, etc etc

it depends on the move but some i like going 4 on the right side and some on the left just depends on the move

It is good to switch up every now and then. A guy I roll with a lot tapped me the other day with an armbar from guard--ON THE WRONG ARM. I told him afterward, "what are doing with that arm? You arm bar the other arm!"

On the triangle/knee post above, I wonder how much of side preference has to do with injuries. For me, it's a lot, especially from side control, because of a right arm/shoulder injury of long standing.

It is good to switch up every now and then. A guy I roll with a lot tapped me the other day with an armbar from guard--ON THE WRONG ARM. I told him afterward, "what are doing with that arm? You arm bar the other arm!"

On the triangle/knee post above, I wonder how much of side preference has to do with injuries. For me, it's a lot, especially from side control, because of a right arm/shoulder injury of long standing.

There's nothing wrong with favoring one side in neutral/offensive situations. But you need to have good defense and escapes on both sides.

im the complet opposite of the TS. Especially from cross side, i will literally try to switch sides if im on their right. Its terrible haha

Back