Do you have a technicque you can always count?

Push kick to the knee or lower thigh. When I spar with others they always think it's going to be a front kick to the body or face, and I can usually land it several times before they catch on. When they do catch on I teep them in the body or use it as a feint to step in with other strikes, which then opens up the low push kick again. I think it works for me since I have a TKD background where it was all about the front kicks and sidekicks, and the way I do the low push kick is sort of a hybrid between them.

Push kick to knee or lower thigh is a good one not a lot of people use. There was one guy in my old gym who did that religiously. Do you prefer rear or front leg? I imagine front leg is faster, but can be a strange angle.

projections, once your head is over your opponent's shoulder the techinque is automatic.
and in a sf you've tons of opportunities to do a projection.

i've been in countless sf in my life (and a lot of trials) and if you ask me for just one technique projection is the first answer.

Sorry for dumbing this down ambush style, but 'projection' means to telegraph your opponent in a SF? Or are you just making a statement every SF scenario is different.

Sorry for dumbing this down ambush style, but 'projection' means to telegraph your opponent in a SF? Or are you just making a statement every SF scenario is different.

i dont'understand the meaning of the word 'telegraph' in this context.

when i say 'projection' i mean 'throw', like ashi guruma or uchi mata and similar.

for me throws have always worked.

Push kick to knee or lower thigh is a good one not a lot of people use. There was one guy in my old gym who did that religiously. Do you prefer rear or front leg? I imagine front leg is faster, but can be a strange angle.

My preference is the front leg, but as you noted the angle can get a bit wonky. Generally speaking, I use whichever leg has the best straight line path towards the target, it's usually the front when I'm in southpaw but it could be either when I'm in orthodox.

Give it a shot with the jab, you'd be surprised. It's got sort of a wing Chung feel to it- I start to reach a bit for the incoming jab so when I parry I'm already moving my hand towards their face, and it sort of bounces off the top of their glove like skipping a rock.

It's an easy one to practice with a decent mitt holder, and then you can train yourself to put a cross behind it.

If I'm sparring a guy with an active jab game I'll throw this out to counter his first jab just to make him think twice about spamming jabs. It'll probably be my opening gambit when I fight next month.

As a southpaw, I'm a big fan of this technique as well. Especially against bigger/stronger/slower sparring partners.

My favorite weapon from southpaw is the left cross. If you can throw a combo to bring your opponent's hands up tight, I will turn him with my right hand by pushing his left elbow across the body. Then a quick hop/step to the outside lines up the left cross nicely. Petrosyan does this very well.

From orthodox, I favor the left hook. My leg kicks are better from orthodox and they help diversify my strikes. But if a guy is dangerous with his hands, I like to catch his punch against my guard as I twist to the left to chamber the hook. Then just blast across the jaw/ear before their hand can return to a defensive position.

I like how another poster broke it down to his go tos for each point of contact.

Lead hand: I've stunned and KOd with jabs but I think my traditional short lead hook, long lead hook, and sambo whip --or casting whichever one is the straight arm side swipe as opposed to the sambo overhand-- those punches are my lead hands money punches aside from the traditional elbow.

Rear: My rear straights and cross counters have alot of weight, and I always train rear uppercut spamming due to Tyson's famous consecutive rear uppercuts ability. Another reason I do that is because I love hooking or throwing a jab or straight and instead of bringing my hand back just getting my opponent into the single collar and unloading. I catch EVERYONE with my single collar attempts to rear uppercut spam.
Single Collar to uppercuts is probably my most efficient, but straight right/cross counter or overhand most powerful along with my rear elbow.

Lead Leg: no switch & switch kicks to the leg, switch kick to the body, jumping switch kick to the body, & spinning back kick to the body. Stepping & Intercepting Knee. Aside from counter knees,the switch & jumping switch kick to the body are probably the most efficient but spinning back most powerful.

Rear Leg: Roundhouse to leg body or head, jumping rear switch roundhouses, teep to the body, spinning back kick to body, turning (in) sidekick. Jon Jones's "Oblique" kicks to the lower thigh (knee only in fight) and I like to use it to the body,it works very well as an intercepting strike. Intercepting Knee. Stepping Knee.
My roundhouses, teep and spinning back kick all the way are the most powerful. Knees rule too, but when I'm close enough to do knees I usually have them in SCT and am all uppercut happy. I save the knees for MTP.

I think it's mostly my timing & length, I'm only just over or just under 6 flat yet my reach is 80+ finger tip to finger tip. Aside from my striking signatures, I like adding submissions to my game because my goal is to always be able to chain every sub in my arsenal. I think that's my most efficient weapon, I'm a powerful, durable & fast striker with good timing but I think my submission offense is just naturally fluid & on point.

I had to work over half a decade to get my striking, but grappling (specifically jiu jitsu & catch) comes naturally to me and I was subbing purple belts and over my first half year of training.

Last edited:
I don't have much power so I don't have a go-to punch that I always hurt people with.

My jab is probably the most effective present day or my rear leg kick.

When I thought I had power(5-6 years ago as a teenager) I used to throw bombs but they weren't that powerful.
Example:
g3hbt.gif

It doesn't matter how deliriously fatigued I am but I always know I can shot out my right cross fast and hard.

I suppose a slightly different way of conceptualising Frode's question is simply to think about what attack would you use if you saw an open opponent. So if you had one attack to hopefully finish this guys off, what would it be? Right cross for me but I have mates who would throw the rear thai kick to the head or another guy would be happy with slamming his power jab home. I find it interesting why some people favour a particular attack over others? I am going to keep an eye on this thread so I can read why others favour their go-to attack.

Front leg teep as high as possible (aim for the face) followed by a rear leg roundhouse up and under the raised guard into the ribs.

You know when you are delivering the power on your roundhouse when the person holding the Thai pads get a hematoma on their forearm from your kicks.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<

LHK.

Favourite combination right uppercut, left hook, right straight, LHK.

Probably my rear elbow but I don't think I can land it frequently enough to call it something I can always count on. I guess I don't have anything that reliable for damage.

Back