Do you hate MIchael Corleone? (Godfather)

How do you feel about Tony Soprano?

Biggest crybaby ever. Seriously. Thought he deserved a good life while being a huge scumbag. I don't believe in karma, but in the show, he always got it in spades.

So much so that it turned me off of the movies to a degree. I enjoy Godfather Part I because his transformation throughout the movie is compelling but by the time Part II rolls around he is so unlikeable and his behaviour so poorly justified that I now only watch the Vito flashbacks anymore.

How do you feel about Tony Soprano?

I am a big fan mafia movies, shows, books, etc. so I was pretty desensitized to his criminality when I was watching the show but somewhere around the time when he was trying to convince the stripper to get an abortion I started reflecting on the totality of what he had done throughout the series to that point and it hit me what a terrible person he was.

That being said unlike Michael Corleone, who I wound up just hating, I hate that I love Tony Soprano.

Michael was put in an impossible position, most of the reasons for disliking him were driven by others, and he wasn't left with a choice.

The one most up for debate would be his wife imo, but even then it's set in the 50s.

no man is so accursed as the kinslayer.

I don't dislike him. He reluctantly accepted the weight and responsibility that his position put on him because he was the best candidate.

And as someone said earlier, Fredo had it coming. He told Fredo not to ever go against the family again but Fredo did, in a big way.

He could have been nicer to his wife but hey the guy was stressed out. She wasn't his top pick anyways, he was a little jaded being that they murdered his true love.

I don't like the way he talked to Tom. Tom was always loyal and didn't deserve to be spoken to in that tone.

Yeah, you're not supposed to like him.

It's supposed to be a story about how a likable, "good guy" that wants to live a clean life can slowly and almost inadvertently become a vicious criminal because of the environment that organized crime creates.

Having said that, Fredo had it coming. A hit on your own brother? Fuck that.

Fredo had no idea it was going to be a hit. He was played by Hyman Roth.

I hated him in part 3, especially the part where he's like "bongiourno signora!" and took his ex out on a sightseeing trip. Ugh it was terrible....but we should pretend that movie never happened. I don't know if I hate him per se in the first 2, but I definitely didn't like him. Was a great performance by Pacino, to see a bright eyed, love struck young man turn to stone like that.

I don't dislike him. He reluctantly accepted the weight and responsibility that his position put on him because he was the best candidate.

And as someone said earlier, Fredo had it coming. He told Fredo not to ever go against the family again but Fredo did, in a big way.

He could have been nicer to his wife but hey the guy was stressed out. She wasn't his top pick anyways, he was a little jaded being that they murdered his true love.

I don't like the way he talked to Tom. Tom was always loyal and didn't deserve to be spoken to in that tone.[/QUOTE]

Actually, yea now that I think about it you're right. He talked to Tom like he was some asshole, when he always did whatever he could for the family. "Why do you hurt me Michael? I've always been loyal to you" that got me right in the feels.

Yea he was always a little off.....if Sonny hadn't been turned into Swiss Cheese it would have been a totally different situation.

Sonny was badass, if he was the Don the whole time it would have been an action movie

I don't like the way he talked to Tom. Tom was always loyal and didn't deserve to be spoken to in that tone.[/QUOTE]

Actually, yea now that I think about it you're right. He talked to Tom like he was some asshole, when he always did whatever he could for the family. "Why do you hurt me Michael? I've always been loyal to you" that got me right in the feels.

Yeah then Coppola and co. did Duvall dirty by not ponying up the dough to get him back in the third film. Who knows how the third would have played out had Hagen been a principal as was initially intended.

As it stands I actually like Michael in the third though and feel III is a pretty good movie. Gracias great in it, the storyline (Vatican, Immobiliare takeover) is actually quite cool. Zasa scene at the beginning and character in general are cool.

Only thing that really sucks about it is Sophia couldn't act..."he's your first cousin" "then I love him first..." Ughhhhhhh.

Plus it's just NOWHERE CLOSE, NEAR, IN THE REALM of the previous two films. So it looks, in my opinion, shittier than it is because when you are an average sized person among giants, you appear a midget.

I didn't really like any of the characters.
The most likeable character in the series was young Don Corleone. The rest are intentionally unlikeable and loathesome people. The characters in the Sopranos and Goodfellas are even worse people imo.

Do I hate Michael Corleone? What do you mean exactly?

No, he's a fictional character played by one of our best actors ever!

In the other sense, I can see why some people don't like him. Less of Sonny's characteristics. The best thing when your a Don is to be low key and rake in the dough. Which Michael was. Sonny was more like an Al Capone or John Gotti. You act like that you get killed or go to prison for life.

The most likeable character in the series was young Don Corleone. The rest are intentionally unlikeable and loathesome people. The characters in the Sopranos and Goodfellas are even worse people imo.

Way worse lol. And it's not particularly close. Tony was a bigger scumbag than Michael any day of the week. Henry Hills one benefit was the lack of killing anyone personally but just a major doucher top to bottom as portrayed in Goodfellas.

I just watched Godfather 1 and 2 in a row and at the end of the 2nd movie, I hated the Micheal Corleone character.

Wasn't sure if I should put spoiler tags on these since the movies have been out longer than I've been alive, but I'll do so anyway for the handful of people who haven't seen the movies or have forgotten about them.

Primarily for killing off Fredo and also for acting like a bitch to his wife towards the end. The part towards the ending where Fredo was the only one that congratulated Mike for enlisting in the Marines killed me.

His character was always like that. It was a progression. the scene at the end shows you how indifferent he was from his family.

not a likeable character but a mutha effin bad ass

I don't like the way he talked to Tom. Tom was always loyal and didn't deserve to be spoken to in that tone.

Tom was my favorite character in the book and the movies. Always kept a cool head, strictly business, and would've made a better Don than Sonny and Mike had he been Italian.

Yeah then Coppola and co. did Duvall dirty by not ponying up the dough to get him back in the third film. Who knows how the third would have played out had Hagen been a principal as was initially intended.

As it stands I actually like Michael in the third though and feel III is a pretty good movie. Gracias great in it, the storyline (Vatican, Immobiliare takeover) is actually quite cool. Zasa scene at the beginning and character in general are cool.

Only thing that really sucks about it is Sophia couldn't act..."he's your first cousin" "then I love him first..." Ughhhhhhh.

Plus it's just NOWHERE CLOSE, NEAR, IN THE REALM of the previous two films. So it looks, in my opinion, shittier than it is because when you are an average sized person among giants, you appear a midget.

Sophia is a talented person but she really ruined #3. It threw the whole thing off.

Back