Do you guys really care about fight commentary this much?

USAwrestling532

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I don’t mute my tv/stream like some people do because that’s just weird to me.

But why does it bother you so much if the commentating isn’t all that accurate? This is an mma forum. Most of us pretty much can see what’s happening. I can understand if you’re a casual fan who doesn’t get mma and needs some insight from the commentators but other than that, can’t you just tune it out and use your eyes rather than your ears?

I subconsciously thought that what I was seeing didn’t match the commentary, but for the most part my eyes are laser focused in on the striking and whether or not a strike landed hard enough.

Normally it wouldn't bother me but during the Covid Era bad commentating could potentially sway the judges leading them into even more retarded decisions. As if we didn't get enough of those.

how close do the judges sit to the commentators? are you sure they can hear them even with the near-empty arenas?

Well, they are supposed to be “professional” commentators. How about they stop shilling the party line, and just tell us what is actually going on.

When I watch other sports they don’t just ignore the long bomb TD that I’m watching with my own eyes. While telling me how great the defence is that is getting lit up.

Just fucking say what we are all actually seeing. Is that too much to ask? Commentary should never be employees of the company they are commentating for. It’s bullshit.

Why is it even necessary to say all this?

I'm not sure why Joe Rogan is getting so much worse on the microphone. Maybe because most of his money is coming from the podcast, where he's paid for his hot takes and opinions, so he's losing his ability to be an unbiased commentator.

But why does it bother you so much if the commentating isn’t all that accurate? This is an mma forum. Most of us pretty much can see what’s happening. I can understand if you’re a casual fan who doesn’t get mma and needs some insight from the commentators but other than that, can’t you just tune it out and use your eyes rather than your ears?

I subconsciously thought that what I was seeing didn’t match the commentary, but for the most part my eyes are laser focused in on the striking and whether or not a strike landed hard enough.
I don't care if it's accurate very much. I do mind the bias some commentators have. That really annoys me, like with Izzy v Jan, or Holloway v Volk. Its important to at least act neutral, and some commentators can't/won't.

Also, The constant; WOWWWWW. HE HURT HIM. HE IS ROCKED sucks.

We're on a forum that bitches about Izzy's right breast, whaddya expect?

Don't like it ? Think you can do better ? Mute the TV and do your own commentary during your next UFC get together.

I think that generally, the commentary gets hated on too much. Sometimes it is very good. Sometimes it is super bad, I agree, but on average I think it's decent.

And no, you can't just "tune out". Just like these fucking "I am so excited" tweets in the middle of the screen. It doesn't ruin the product but it does alter it, just like poor commenting.

I don't care if it's accurate very much. I do mind the bias some commentators have. That really annoys me, like with Izzy v Jan, or Holloway v Volk. Its important to at least act neutral, and some commentators can't/won't.

Also, The constant; WOWWWWW. HE HURT HIM. HE IS ROCKED sucks.

This is my biggest requisition.
"OOoooOOOOh it'S tiGHt"
"ThIs Is iT"

At the slightest sub attempt, you would expect more from live commentators who are themselves fighters / combat sport experts.

Because they started threads discussing it? Like you did here?

A better question is how is you caring that much about them caring less weird?

it's not that i care that much, it's just annoying. it's enough to see that type of corporate shilling and manipulating in the news, i watch sports to get away from that

I think you have it wrong on the definition of "shilling". These guys are employed by the company to comment a fight so it is literally their job to hype the action.

My problem is more with shills like Chael Sonnen, who are so obviouly shilling all the time but will not disclose their promotion compensation from the UFC / affiliates.

Bad commentary of course, is not the biggest story to me, but it is on the list, like maybe 5th or 6th.

Top stories/interests to me were Blachowicz better than I thought, Adesanya worse than I thought at LHW, Nunes bad ass, Megan a joke, as expected, crazy finish and win for Sterling, Makhachev is the next big thing.

Then, after browsing through some threads on those, yeah, I did chime in on the commentary was bad thread. It was a little annoying because imagine watching a fight with some casual friends and they are talking all kind of shit that's totally wrong. You'd tell them, dude, no, this is what is REALLY happening and you can have a fun discussion. Commentary that's terrible, you're just like, what the fuck, but, you can't call and tell Rogan, what the fuck, you're smoking too much bro, Blachowicz is totally in control, so that's a little annoying.

Back