Do you get lactic acid buildup during bagwork

weich

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I'm having a conversation with someone about this. The guy I'm talking to says that, no matter what, you should feel lactic acid buildup after 30 seconds. Either I don't know what that feels like or it doesn't happen to me. I don't think I have ever heard any of the other fighters in my gym complain of it, or shows signs of it, either.

I do feel lactic acid after holding thai pads for a while, especially when working with heavier strikers. I normally get paired with HWs and holding pads for them, especially when working in counters, makes my arms tired.

^ Totally depends on how hard you are going, you shouldn't get lactic acid build up in 30 seconds unless you are going as fast as you can. If you are doing a 3 minute round and you lactic acid in the first 30 seconds then you aren't going to get much work done after that! It will increase your lactic tolerance eventually but there are more effective ways of doing that.

Punch out drills are perfect for this. You basically go all out for 30 seconds with simple 1-2's or body shot 1-2's or alternate knees. Then rest for a period of say a minute. Wash and repeat. You'll get some serious lactic acid buildup and some great conditioning.

^ Totally depends on how hard you are going, you shouldn't get lactic acid build up in 30 seconds unless you are going as fast as you can. If you are doing a 3 minute round and you lactic acid in the first 30 seconds then you aren't going to get much work done after that! It will increase your lactic tolerance eventually but there are more effective ways of doing that.

Punch out drills are perfect for this. You basically go all out for 30 seconds with simple 1-2's or body shot 1-2's or alternate knees. Then rest for a period of say a minute. Wash and repeat. You'll get some serious lactic acid buildup and some great conditioning.

We'll do drills with partners where one person holds the bag, you go for 30 seconds, either for power or speed, switch, etc. We'll do 3 minute rounds, rest a minute, and go again.

Perhaps I am getting lactic acid and don't recognize it. When you are describing the lactic buildup, what does it feel like?

If you want to get technical it's actually lactate not lactic acid that builds up and it's that burning sensation you get when you work a muscle hard.

aries is right, it depends on what you are doing. If you are hitting the bag at a comfortable pace you probably won't have any lactate build up. If you are pushing the pace a bit you might start to feel it toward the end of the round. If you are going all-out you will start to feel it fairly quickly.

Personally I don't usually "feel the burn" when I do kicks because the limiting factor is my cardiovascular conditioning i.e. my heart rate and breathing get so elevated that I slow down before my leg and hip muscles start to burn. On the flip side when I do a punch out drill my shoulders usually start to burn far before my heart rate and breathing get too elevated.

it is not completely wrong your friend, if you kick for 30 seconds without stopping you will sure feel it because muscles use it after 12 seconds usually.
there are 3 kind ofs energy metabolism, but i am too tired to explain it in englsh, i'm sure some1 here will tell you :cool:

Just to throw my cents in. Do you start making LA within 30 of an intense workout? Yes. But your body has many mechanisms to clear this so it doesn't really build up. As the Dr. said, it's believed to cause the burning sensation you feel if you do something explosive repeatedly (squats). I agree that my lungs start to ache long before I feel burning in my legs.

I don't think you will feel it from holding pads, though you may feel your forearms bruising :p

Perhaps I am getting lactic acid and don't recognize it. When you are describing the lactic buildup, what does it feel like?

A burning sensation in the muscle body and seizing up. You'll slow down massively when the buildup gets too high and your power output will just plummet. You get what bodybuilders describe as a serious 'pump'. You'll know when you get it!

Just to throw my cents in. Do you start making LA within 30 of an intense workout? Yes. But your body has many mechanisms to clear this so it doesn't really build up. As the Dr. said, it's believed to cause the burning sensation you feel if you do something explosive repeatedly (squats). I agree that my lungs start to ache long before I feel burning in my legs.

I don't think you will feel it from holding pads, though you may feel your forearms bruising :p

Top 400m runners run sub 44 seconds and you better believe they are full of lactate by the end and all they do is train to tolerate build up and clear lactate from their bodies so a normal person is easily going to able to build up enough in that time frame. I think most non-athletes who don't train much would start to tie up around the 200m mark tbh, say 30 seconds in due to lactate build up. If they ran it balls out with no regard to pace to finish the 400m they could easily go past their lactate threshold by 200m.

Agreed, but a sprint is constant high intensity motion. While pad work is very ballistic, you shouldn't just be throwing nonstop for 3 minutes. Obviously you shouldn't have huge pauses between each combo, but it's not like your arms will be burning and caput 30 seconds into a 3-5 minute pads/mitts round.

^ no of course not which is why punch out drills are 30 seconds only because after that you'd just seize up and start moving like you are swimming in treacle. And as I said to the TS earlier you shouldn't be working so hard that you get lactate build up within 30 seconds of starting your 3 minute round, that's like starting off at a sprint for a 1500m race.

Back