• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do you feel bad for fans who missed the dawn of MMA?

Mid-90s through about 2015 was fun.

Early UFC was largely inaccessible for me. I saw UFC 2,3 and 4 when a friend lent me VHS tapes in '95 but never saw much more until 2005 or so.

Luckily the Monday Night Wars filed the gap. I hadn't watched rasslin' since I was a kid but that was a fun time.

By the time that died off the UFC/Pride rivalry was going. It was a good run.

First they had circus performers vs drunken people. So it was mixed between real fighting and show. Strongman needed style that was combination of control and entertainment. Ofcourse strongman had to cause pain if shit was wild but it was not option to ko paying customer. Submission hold/lock was solution.

When ufc started it was fighter against fighter. But it never was open competition. Crowd wanted "real fighting" and ofcourse style that was on top would make huge impact and money. I am not saying everything was under control but it was more about business than spirit.

As long as people pay for show its always about closed competition. There is always someone trying to fix shit. Sometimes small gym is dirty as big promotion.

Validating and testing much of hundreds of years of martial arts.
That was a significant event in human history.

Kind of a farce though, no? They wouldn't let Gokor or Marcos Ruas compete and Art Jimmerson wasn't exactly Mike Tyson. It would have been really cool if they could have afforded top martial arts and combat sports practitioners and not pad the event so Royce would be more likely to win. The concept of course super legendary.

Yeah I guess so. I missed the moon landing. We all miss out on something
Well imagine those young sherdoggers that weren't alive for Y2K. When our biggest fear was an computer bug that would keep us from doing LAN orgies with bottles of coke that turned into bottles of tobacco-infused piss during the night, until you drank from the wrong bottle. Once, never twice. Such good times.

I scraped and searched and finally watched events six months late. I'm very happy where we ended up.

Like, they  just missed out on the most significant and exciting event and revolution in the history of combat sports and modern martial arts, where decades of action films, dojo challenges and combat sports all came together as one and the dawning of a new era came about.
I got in Like 2003.

Only by the standards of a fucking moron. Hundsight 20/20 we can all agree that Royce gracie was not as good as he's made out to be. It all came crashing down when Matt Hughs pissed in his mouth. And Im pretty sure if a discussion was had about most watchable old fights none of royce laying on his back doing nothing will get mentioned.
You mean when Hughes used BJJ as well as wrestling to beat Royce?

Without BJJ Hughes is just a wrestler and loses to Royce 10 out of 10 times.

Like, they  just missed out on the most significant and exciting event and revolution in the history of combat sports and modern martial arts, where decades of action films, dojo challenges and combat sports all came together as one and the dawning of a new era came about.

I definitely do because all they have is secondhand knowledge with zero context, and as we all know context is everything sir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back