Do you ever try to create your own techniques?

Digitsu

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Does your instructor encourage this type of thing?
What have you come up with?

I have, only to find out that other people have already done them. An example is a leg drag finish to a double unders pass. I find that against flexible guys it's really hard to finish a classic double unders, but you can often dive into a leg drag position and finish that way. I figured this out on my own only to have Andre Galvao show it at a seminar. I can think of several examples like that.

I've "discovered" things, only to research them and find out that someone else wrote a book about it before I was born. Now any time I think I'm on to something new I research it and find out all kinds tips and counters I had no idea were there.

I've actually come up with a couple (3) of gift wrap chokes that I've never seen anywhere, nor have my instructors. They are powerful but tricky to set up and low percentage. I love gift wrap. I think the sweep from gift wrap is highly under-utilized.

I've actually come up with a couple (3) of gift wrap chokes that I've never seen anywhere, nor have my instructors. They are powerful but tricky to set up and low percentage. I love gift wrap. I think the sweep from gift wrap is highly under-utilized.

is one of them this technique by any chance?
[YT]yOXvo91CCJI[/YT]

is one of them this technique by any chance?
[YT]yOXvo91CCJI[/YT]

Nope! I've looked all over and never seen it. I plan to make a video at some point. Still a blue belt though (for 8 years, lol), so I don't want people to go apeshit because I post a technique video.

BTW, the chokes are really powerful, much moreso than that Ezekiel-type choke.

I thought I came up with something clever off the deep halfguard, ya know, leverage momentum all the good things... onyl to find out it's called the waiter sweep.

From bottom side control or north/south, I like to put my foot in the back of my opponent's collar. I push them off of me to make space and regain my guard. Still experimenting with it. Let me know if anyone knows of videos for this. lol

Nope! I've looked all over and never seen it. I plan to make a video at some point. Still a blue belt though (for 8 years, lol), so I don't want people to go apeshit because I post a technique video.

BTW, the chokes are really powerful, much moreso than that Ezekiel-type choke.

Do it! I wanna see them now haha! If you saw Adisa Banjoko's Iron Hook (gift wrap) series people went apeshit over that (in a good way) and he developed it at blue and posted it as a purple

I came up with a few gi chokes from Williams Guard, and a series based around them that i've never seen taught, but there really just modified closed guard chokes I was taught by my instructor, so I wouldn't claim I invented them per se. However the ones I have implemented into my game have revolutionized the position for me! well theoretically, seeing as im still developing it and have only pulled it off in positional sparring so far!

Do it! I wanna see them now haha! If you saw Adisa Banjoko's Iron Hook (gift wrap) series people went apeshit over that (in a good way) and he developed it at blue and posted it as a purple

I'll try to in the next few weeks. Not training right now so might have to use one of my kids as the dummy, lol.

I'll try to in the next few weeks. Not training right now so might have to use one of my kids as the dummy, lol.

Haha I know the feeling! I've told a few people I would film my choke series, but trying to organise mine, a partner and a camera mans schedules is a mission!

I could go ghetto and film it on my grappling dummy from my webcam, but choking a dummy isn't the most realistic demonstration lol

i pulled off a triangle before ever seeing it done by anyone

jk

Back