Do you ever read movie novelizations?

I read the the Ace Ventura 2 novelization when I was a kid. Didn't have the same impact

I have in the past, haven't in some time. I like that they sometimes elaborate on the backstory, or make things a bit clearer and understandable than what you see on the screen. Sometimes, though, they completely disregard what happens in the finished film, or base their book on an earlier version of the script, which can cause some confusion.

Nicely stated. I did for Chuck Palahniuk fight club. The movie is pretty identical from the book though, the time line was skewed and an entire chapter was missing fir the movie. The happy ending of finding love was a classic picture for the mainstream narrative. If you read fight club 2 graphic novel it's evident the movie hot away from the theme and essence of fight club; that being masculinity, the missing role, male purpose and strive for meaning, consumerism and materialism and a sense of self through action or purchase. It's powerful. I thought the movie was great in capturing most of the idiology. Fight club 2 sort of botched a picture perfect concept but the idea that a man gets the girl, gets soft, and Tyler makes an appearance via her spiking or altering narrators meds.

Read the novel before I saw the film.

JohnSteinbeck_TheGrapesOfWrath.jpg

Mmm. do you understand what a novelization is?

I've read several. The only one I can recall that stands out is Total Recall.

I got the Pretty in Pink one bc I like that movie. Read it n I mean wasn't anything spectacular but was cute n made me happy. I need to get around to getting Grease x: lol

I've read several. The only one I can recall that stands out is Total Recall.

Is this a practice that you continue? When was the last time you read one?

What I found particularly interesting was that, at one time, it was THE way to re-experience a story and its characters. Before home video, or in its early days before VCRs were in every home, people just did not have easy access to movies that they had seen at home. It's amazing how today we just take this kind of access for granted, but at one time it just wasn't the case, and reading a novelization was your one path to re-experiencing that story you loved so much.

It's also interesting to see how the industry as changed. If you look back to, say, the 90s or before then you'll find that ALL kinds of movies were being novelized. My Girl, Home Alone, Dangerous Minds, The Karate Kid . . . fucking Taxi Driver got the novelization treatment (and it apparently went through six printings). But today, while novelizations are still a thing, and even sometimes hit the NYT bestseller list, they are almost exclusively based on genre films. Godzilla, Interstellar, Transformers, Pacific Rim, Independence Day . . . these are some of the recent novelizations that have come out. No longer are we seeing novelizations of movies like Bridge of Spies or Room.

I dunno. I just find the whole thing kind of fascinating in a way.

I only remember reading one: Saving Private Ryan. I loved that movie when it first came out and I just wanted more of it so I got the book. I remember it being good, filling some holes in the plot that really didn’t make sense for me in the movie (particularly why Miller and his team are sent on foot on this special mission without any equipment, and why a captain only commands a squad and isn’t given more men). In some of the action scenes in the book felt more “Hollywood” and over the top. But overall good shit. I let some kid in my school borrow and that fucker lost it.

I only remember reading one: Saving Private Ryan. I loved that movie when it first came out and I just wanted more of it so I got the book. I remember it being good, filling some holes in the plot that really didn’t make sense for me in the movie (particularly why Miller and his team are sent on foot on this special mission without any equipment, and why a captain only commands a squad and isn’t given more men). In some of the action scenes in the book felt more “Hollywood” and over the top. But overall good shit. I let some kid in my school borrow and that fucker lost it.

Interesting. If you see my last post to BisexualMMA, something like Saving Private Ryan is exactly the kind of movie that we're not going to see novelized today.

Interesting. If you see my last post to BisexualMMA, something like Saving Private Ryan is exactly the kind of movie that we're not going to see novelized today.
Now that I think about it, I haven’t seen as many novelizations either. I did see some novelizations of animated films in the kids section of the local bookstore. It’s weird because they had books for movies that haven’t been released yet. I guess kids don’t care about spoilers.

I actually now remember reading the novelization for the 1998 Godzilla (the shitty one with Matthew Broderick) and thinking it was good. Made more “sense” because they explained more of the story. Then again I was like 12 when I read it so a lot of silly shit would’ve made sense to me.

Now that I think about it, I haven’t seen as many novelizations either.

I keep an eye out for them. The ones I've seen lately are Independence Day: Resurgence, Godzilla, Warcraft and the last Transformers movie.

Oh well fuck no then

Ha, indeed.

Novelizations, just to be clear, are novels that are written based on the movie rather than the other way around. Usually the studio will pass the script to the writer and tell them to write a novel based on it while the movie is being shot. Then the movie and novelization will be released at the same time. It's just a way for studios to make some extra money off of a property.

Are there any that are considered really good? Enough to stand on their own as a work of literature?

Are there any that are considered really good? Enough to stand on their own as a work of literature?

Good question. I have consistently heard good things about Alan Dean Foster's Alien novelization and I know that it's also one of the few novelizations that has stayed in print for many years. I intend to read it myself at some point.

But here are a couple of articles I found.

10 Essential Movie Novelizations

Top 10 Novelizations That Are Actually Worth Reading

Back