• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do you disqualify Jon Jones from the GOAT talk?

Do you disqualify Jon Jones from the GOAT talk?

• Total voters
I assume all fighters are on or have taken some kinds of PEDs, accidental or not. So PEDs does not disqualify him or Silva from being the GOAT. Same with Barry Bonds in baseball.

I don't but it's only because I don't care much about GOAT talks, with weight classes being there and the sport being still young it seems pointless. People talk about themselves and their preferences and values when they discuss GOATs.

I don't think the steroid thing is an auto disqualification because that would mean all the Pride guys have to go. Of course they were all on steroids so you could say it was a level playing field, while Jones fought in a more "clean" era?
You also can't just assume he was on steroid for all of his career. I mean he probably was, but probably isn't surely is it?

Why would prime Fedor need to pass a usada test in an org that doesn't prohibit use?
Well that's exactly it, Most people will just say fedor was using and we didn't know so for me, who has always put fedor at the top of the list, to say that jones cannot be up there with him kinda just feels dishonest.

Well that's exactly it, Most people will just say fedor was using and we didn't know so for me, who has always put fedor at the top of the list, to say that jones cannot be up there with him kinda just feels dishonest.
Well it's not allowed where Jones competed, is it?

No. But I do give the edge to GSP due to a lack of positive tests.

Obviously. Multiple PED failures. The science behind "pulsing" was extremely suspect and rejected by WADA and the Olympics. After that disgrace of a scientist Eichner's pulsing science failed, he took a job with the UFC now. I think we all know Jon was just using Turinabol the whole time.

I don't think WADA or the Olympics rejected the science, I think they rejected making it a part of the policy and procedure of handling test results.

I feel like the former MXZT signs in, cracks their knuckles, and asks themselves "what are the deep cut, hard questions nobody asks that I can ask this time?" But then mostly just posts something asking where you fall on the most commonly and often debated topics ever lol.

Come on bro. You and i both know putting Khabib connor Fedor Gsp chuck or
whoever as number one p4p will never ever feel right. Jones and anderson are both number one and two.
no discussion needed.

The "everybodys on steroids" claim and its consequences have been a disaster for the mma sport.

Nope I believe anyone could have done peds without us knowing.

I rank him 1.

GSP 2.

Khabib 3. Simply cause of weaker strength of shedule.

No, but "goat talk" is subjective anyway. He became significantly less active and less dominant in the fights he did have when USADA showed up though, and he wasn't even passing those tests, so he must have been on ungodly amounts of roids before then when he was just eating huge punches and head kicks, shrugging off Vitor popping his elbow, didn't even notice nearly ripping his toe off, and was ragdolling guys with better wrestling credentials.

I'm a two list guy. Pre usada and post.

It's not really fair to say Jon is guilty and gsp isnt they fought in different eras of drug testing. We don't know if prime Fedor passes a usada test
Why would they have to when their opponents aren't tested either? Jon was failing tests that his opponents had to pass. If we both can take steroids, that's an even playing field. If neither of us can, also an even playing field. If I can take steroids and you can't, that is cheating.

Both of them disqualifies in my opinion. Fedor is so clear at the top so it is disrespecting to someone like him to have fighters in lower weightclasses that also got busted for PEDs to be around the talk of being the greatest in MMA of all time while he himself went 10 years straight in top division and being active and no nonsense.

Why would they have to when their opponents aren't tested either? Jon was failing tests that his opponents had to pass. If we both can take steroids, that's an even playing field. If neither of us can, also an even playing field. If I can take steroids and you can't, that is cheating.
I suppose one being "fair use" and the other not being considered such is a reasonable input, I just feel That im addressing that idea that people who have used shouldn't be on list at all. If you considered those who are using PEDs to make it "fair" okay and the other not, that's even MORE reason for two lists, IMO. athletes who aren't using shouldn't be compared athletes who are regardless of playing field. Injuries, Recovery times, Training methods, They all change natty vs using. It's like comparing basketball players from before the 3 point line to now. It's a whole different ball game, MMA 1.0 vs MMA 2.0.

I suppose one being "fair use" and the other not being considered such is a reasonable input, I just feel That im addressing that idea that people who have used shouldn't be on list at all. If you considered those who are using PEDs to make it "fair" okay and the other not, that's even MORE reason for two lists, IMO. athletes who aren't using shouldn't be compared athletes who are regardless of playing field. Injuries, Recovery times, Training methods, They all change natty vs using. It's like comparing basketball players from before the 3 point line to now. It's a whole different ball game, MMA 1.0 vs MMA 2.0.
Sure, if we we're comparing hypothetical head to head, or it's something like running or weightlifting in a sport that is comparing side by side scores, but mma is only ever relative to competition at the time, so it would matter less than someone running a faster sprint without drug testing.

Back