Do you consider Deontay Wilder letting his rematch clause expire a duck?

No. He hasn't been training because of a recent surgery he had on his bicep. He claims he injured it in the Fury rematch. It's possible because the same thing has happened to him before with his hands and arms given how wild he can get when he swings for the fences. That's his management's fault for not rescheduling before the deadline.

He knows he can’t beat fury at the moment and another embarrassing loss like the last one could spell the end of his career so he is avoiding the fight.

He can then decide what he wants to do

The bicep injury seems to be a convenient excuse given he had surgery March/April and in interview in April said recovery was going really well

“Recovery is going well," the 34-year-old Wilder told the PBC podcast. "I'm in therapy. I ended up injuring it in my last fight, somewhere up in there. But everything is going great with it.”

No he had a legit injury and surgery. Also, even if he didn't Tyson beat him bad. It would make sense for him to at least attempt to improve let a lone rehab. Not really ducking if Fury rather move on to better fight and new challenge.
so do you think he is going to wait till after the AJ-Fury fight? and face the winner as his last big cash fight

so do you think he is going to wait till after the AJ-Fury fight? and face the winner as his last big cash fight

i think he should earn the right and fight a couple of top contenders. Other guys are in line for their shots. He needs to beat a couple of them

Wilder is many things but the man isn't scared.

He may elected not to take the third based on career plans.

Wilder coming back and providing a couple highlight KOs against average opponents before facing a real threat could set up him career and form wise.

I think injury or not an immediate rematch would not be wise , he needs to fight someone else and work on some things particularly defense and boxing off of his back foot. Makes sense to wait for the fury/joshua fight to happen and then cash in for a rematch with fury or a Huge fight with Joshua. Wilder vs ruiz would be interesting

i think he should earn the right and fight a couple of top contenders. Other guys are in line for their shots. He needs to beat a couple of them
I think he has enough defenses and the fact he was undefeated for so long warrants an immediate shot at a belt after his 1st loss

I have no idea....I dont think he is a cash out type of guy yet. He would still be favored against anyone not named Fury

I dont call it ducking. We're talking about alot of money here. I think when he went into the surgery he and his team were expecting it to go this way considering the rematch clause exp date.

Fury can always have another match with wilder in the future.

It's not a duck just another hilariously sad 2020 occurrence. The "contract" like whod of thought they wouldn't have taken care of the paperwork.

If anything its a new opportunity. He can fight ruiz or the winner of whyte/povetkin 2 or somebody else and regain respect as a top guy.

It's not about being scared but about knowing that he has no clear route to beating Fury. What is the point ot hurrying into another tko? He needs to restrategise his fight game because punching power alone wont cut it anymore against fury.

If fury and AJ already have a deal in place for two fights in 2021 like they have said then they are unlikely to be any title shots available until 2022. Then you have the winner of whyte/povetkin and uysk as mandatories.

On that basis he is unlikely to get a title shot any time soon.

Unless he is a mandatory do you think he will get a fight vs AJ if he has the belts? I doubt he will get a fight against uysk or whyte either if they are mandatory.

So maybe he can fight the likes of Ruiz / Parker etc but not exactly great fights

why are people saying Wilder should fight Ruiz??

Ruiz was a disgrace in his last fight and even admitted himself he didnt train, i dont think Ruiz deserves to share the ring with anyone even remotely as good as Wilder until he has a few really good wins

If the guy is injured it’s hardly a ducking move.

Also, trying to regain confidence after this kind of first loss would definitely be understandable.

I still think there’s a chance he hangs them up for good. We’ll see. If he breaks a few faces before taking on the winner of Fury vs Joshua it woudn’t be a bad move moneywise... even if it’s always risky to predict what is bound to happen in HW boxing - see : AJ vs Ruiz I.

If the guy is injured it’s hardly a ducking move.

Also, trying to regain confidence after this kind of first loss would definitely be understandable.

I still think there’s a chance he hangs them up for good. We’ll see. If he breaks a few faces before taking on the winner of Fury vs Joshua it woudn’t be a bad move moneywise... even if it’s always risky to predict what is bound to happen in HW boxing - see : AJ vs Ruiz I.
Is he still injured he said surgery went well and was recovering well at the start of April....if he is injured why was his team been talking of the fight happening for the last couple of months.

why are people saying Wilder should fight Ruiz??

Ruiz was a disgrace in his last fight and even admitted himself he didnt train, i dont think Ruiz deserves to share the ring with anyone even remotely as good as Wilder until he has a few really good wins
Ruiz is mentioned as it’s the one person they are likely to agree a fight with if it’s not him or say Parker who else?

Back