Do you believe Rory MacDonald??????

Johnny Drama

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Rory MacDonald....love him or hate him is a rising star in the UFC.
If Rory can beat Condit he is probably another win or two away from a possible title shot. He claims he would never fight GSP, but if he got the chance do you think he would leave Tristar and accept the fight?
You never know how long GSP could hold the title for and basically cause Rory to wait around for him to lose the title.
I guess we will possibly see what happens.

I believe that right now he does not want to fight GSP for various reasons (doesn't want to have to leave Tristar, GSP is his friend/mentor, doesn't think he's ready) but give him a year or two and he might change his mind.

I think he loses to Condit again though.

I think right now he's just far enough away from a title shot against GSP that's he's comfortable not having to think about it at the moment. However we've seen this a couple times before where friendship takes a backseat when big money and a title are on the line. And if and when the time comes I think Rory will make the right decision and take the shot at the title. I'm sure he'll always appreciate the friendship and lessons that GSP has taught him, but he signed with the UFC to be the best fighter in the world. We often see fighters eventually fight their heroes and that's just the way it is. If you're driven to be the best you cannot and will not take a backseat to anybody. Not even your friend, your hero, or your mentor. Not even if all 3 are the same person.

He is not ready for GSP.. His TDD is suspect.. His striking looks great but GSP right now puts him down and beats him up.. I think he knows this from training.. I think it is a non-issue for 3 or 4 more fights..

I think he would fight GSP when the time comes and by that time he will give GSP a good fight as well.

Of course this is if GSP is still champion at that point. I expect GSP to easily defeat Nick Diaz if that match takes place as planned, but I don't know after that.

IMO a rematch with Condit is poor matchmaking. As it stands Rory hasn't beaten a single top 10 WW to date. Rankings wise a rematch against Condit propels him above a lot of fighters. He should win against at least 3 top ranked opponents before he gets put in there for a title shot, and if he beats 2 a rematch with Condit makes sense only as his 3rd fight.

Now the question of would Rory fight GSP. It is a difficult call because Rory fighting GSP isn't just about his individual loyalty to GSP but to Tristar. Considering that the 2 of them are close and don't just train at the same place Rory would probably in a position (given GSP's status and seniority) to leave Tristar if he wanted a title shot.

This wouldn't just be about Rory stepping on GSP's toes, he would likely have to abandon the team that helped him to where he is now and changing gyms/trainers can be a very risky maneuver. I think Firas would likely be fine with training GSP against Rory given their relationship.

IMO a rematch with Condit is poor matchmaking. As it stands Rory hasn't beaten a single top 10 WW to date. Rankings wise a rematch against Condit propels him above a lot of fighters. He should win against at least 3 top ranked opponents before he gets put in there for a title shot, and if he beats 2 a rematch with Condit makes sense only as his 3rd fight.

Do you realize Rory is a moderate favorite against Condit as of this moment?

He is not ready for GSP.. His TDD is suspect.. His striking looks great but GSP right now puts him down and beats him up.. I think he knows this from training.. I think it is a non-issue for 3 or 4 more fights..

...this is a fair assessment. I think GSP fights Diaz, then the winner of Hendricks/Ellenberger and then Silva and retire as champion - a healthy multi-millionaire. Rory will be ready by then to take the WW title and soon move up to MW.

...this is a fair assessment. I think GSP fights Diaz, then the winner of Hendricks/Ellenberger and then Silva and retire as champion - a healthy multi-millionaire.

A win for Ellenberger over Hendricks would be huge but how does he get a title shot with wins over only Jay Hieron and Johny Hendricks since his last loss?

Johny Hendricks has won 5 in a row and 9 out of 10, has faced harder competition than anyone recently, and still hasn't gotten his title shot.

I'm not a fan or a hater of MacDonald, I think if he beats Condit he should only be 1 fight away from a title shot.

Isn't Rory like 22? I bet he'll be a MW by the time he NEEDS a title shot.

Homeboy is still growing

...this is a fair assessment. I think GSP fights Diaz, then the winner of Hendricks/Ellenberger and then Silva and retire as champion - a healthy multi-millionaire. Rory will be ready by then to take the WW title and soon move up to MW.

GSP has 7 defenses.. I think he has his eye on 10.. After that GSP will be around 33 and go up to MW for maybe 2 or 3 years he will go after the MW title before he retires..

This is a fair assessment as well. :D

A win for Ellenberger over Hendricks would be huge but how does he get a title shot with wins over only Jay Hieron and Johny Hendricks since his last loss?

Johny Hendricks has won 5 in a row and 9 out of 10, has faced harder competition than anyone recently, and still hasn't gotten his title shot.

I guess theres no telling how you get title shots these days, but I'm assuming if Hendricks is the number 1 contender (after Diaz evidently), whoever beats him would take his spot ... but who knows ...

I'm not a fan or a hater of MacDonald, I think if he beats Condit he should only be 1 fight away from a title shot.

He will not be ready for GSP in only 1 year.. When BJ Penn can take you down GSP will ragdoll you.. He needs time..

Rory is still a ways off, who's his best win against? Che Mills, Mike Pyle, half-retired BJ, current LW Nate Diaz? The only time he fought another legit contender, he lost.

Back