Do wrestlers wear a cup?

bate18

White Belt
Reaction score
it doesnt seem like there would be much groin contact in wrestling, im certainly sure it exists though. can anyone clear this up?

I never did, and I don't believe anyone on my high school team did. Never really felt the need for one. If I had been kneed in the groin I may have felt different, but it never happened.

I always did. People go for the high crotch a lot around here for some reason. I also see people doing something similar to a half nelson but on the legs/hips rather than the arm/head. Without a cup, thats a little too close for comfort in my opinion.

I never wore a cup in HS wrestling OR football. I've never seen or heard of a wrestler wearing a cup and I coach the sport.
On a side note, I wore a cup in little league and got one of my boys pinched on the outside of it. Fuck cups.

I don't wear a cup in wrestling and I haven't had any 'mis-haps' ... but ever since after my first day of BJJ, I ALWAYS wear a cup in BJJ. My first day of BJJ ... we practiced leg-locks (my teacher is a Sambo champ, too), and the friggin' set-up for one of the leg-locks was practically stepping your foot right near the other guys balls on the inside of the leg, so I almost had my twins crushed a few times ... it was quite scary. I kept asking everybody if I should wear a cup and everyone was saying that they didn't, but I was like forget that, I'm wearing a cup! I even made a thread about it on here a lil' while ago, haha. I'm proud to say my 'guys' have not been harmed. :)

In JuJutsu we do some trips and/or crotch pickups too and if you are unlucky you fall onto a knee... once felt the blow on my cup and was so happy to wear it... without i woulda been dead.

Diligent said:
I don't wear a cup in wrestling and I haven't had any 'mis-haps' ... but ever since after my first day of BJJ, I ALWAYS wear a cup in BJJ. My first day of BJJ ... we practiced leg-locks (my teacher is a Sambo champ, too), and the friggin' set-up for one of the leg-locks was practically stepping your foot right near the other guys balls on the inside of the leg, so I almost had my twins crushed a few times ... it was quite scary. I kept asking everybody if I should wear a cup and everyone was saying that they didn't, but I was like forget that, I'm wearing a cup! I even made a thread about it on here a lil' while ago, haha. I'm proud to say my 'guys' have not been harmed. :)

I don't think wearing a cup or not wearing a cup should be a yardstick for measuring manliness. If you want to wear one, do it. Not wearing one isn't a declaration of "balls of steel."

There are moves in wrestling (especially freestyle) that could raise your voice a few octaves, but I don't think I could wear cup unless I had a pre-existing injury.

bacon said:
I don't think wearing a cup or not wearing a cup should be a yardstick for measuring manliness. If you want to wear one, do it. Not wearing one isn't a declaration of "balls of steel."

There are moves in wrestling (especially freestyle) that could raise your voice a few octaves, but I don't think I could wear cup unless I had a pre-existing injury.

Ummmmm ... ok ...? Are you insinuating that I think wearing/not wearing a cup should be a yardstick for 'measuring manliness'??? ... or that I think that not wearing one is a declaration of "balls of steel"???

In all my years of wrestling or coaching wrestling I have never worn a cup. Just a good pair of breifs to take the boys out of play.

I never wore one, nor ever saw someone who did. It would look ridiculous. I took my share of nut shots, you just need to man up and get over it. Although I did see one guy who had to go to the ER and have surgery for a ruptured testicle.

I wouldn't mind wearing a cup in wrestling to be honest with you. There are some moves and positions where you can just totally get your boys crushed.

Also, I don't want to get too graphic or descriptive with this. But let's just say, when you're smashing your hips into the ground for sprawls, or when there's a lot of action and you're belly down, it's not just your... ummm... *twins* that are in danger. I've had some PAINFUL situations where I have really hurt my umm.... *friend*. Mostly on newer, rock-hard mats. It sounds strange, but it can and does happen, and it hurts unbelievably bad.

I can't roll without a cup, though. I like to move really fast and intense and in scrambles you can really get your boys hurt. I can't confidently pass a guard, fight in the leglock position, or go for arm bars and triangles without a cup.

Diligent said:
Ummmmm ... ok ...? Are you insinuating that I think wearing/not wearing a cup should be a yardstick for 'measuring manliness'??? ... or that I think that not wearing one is a declaration of "balls of steel"???

No, sorry Diligent, that wasn't directed at you. I used your quote to emphasize my "to each his own" stance. Peace brotha.

Gothic_Coop said:
In all my years of wrestling or coaching wrestling I have never worn a cup. Just a good pair of breifs to take the boys out of play.

I had a wrestling coach in HS that went commando....scarred for life....
*shakes uncontrollably and reaches for the liquor cabinet...*

bacon said:
No, sorry Diligent, that wasn't directed at you. I used your quote to emphasize my "to each his own" stance. Peace brotha.

Oh, ok, I was confused there for a sec.:)

bacon said:
I had a wrestling coach in HS that went commando....scarred for life....
*shakes uncontrollably and reaches for the liquor cabinet...*

That is sick. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

i've broken my cup before in grappling comp before, so i'm pretty glad i had it on. Now i wear the metal mai Thai cups, cause when the plastic one broke, i swear they could of cut my balls right off; they were that sharp.

Gothic_Coop said:
That is sick. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

How the hell do you think I felt? After I graduated I started coaching and there's no way in hell that a contact-sport coach would forget to put on underwear. That coach was either a pedophile or an exhibitionist. Either way, he's a jackass.

I used to not wear a cup in high school wrestling. Then I got accidently kneed in the balls. Not fun. From then onward in high school, I wore a jock strap at least.

Now during BJJ I'll wear a cup to some competition or practices or not. Depends on whether I got kicked that day or not. However, I always wear extra support in addition to my briefs.

I don't think you are allowed to wear a cup in wrestling. I know that you arne't allowed to in judo.

Back