Do wrestlers wear a cup?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by bate18, Jan 9, 2006.

1. bate18

bate18 White Belt

it doesnt seem like there would be much groin contact in wrestling, im certainly sure it exists though. can anyone clear this up?

2. raulz88

raulz88 White Belt

I never did, and I don't believe anyone on my high school team did. Never really felt the need for one. If I had been kneed in the groin I may have felt different, but it never happened.

3. Mestizo

Mestizo Orange Belt

I always did. People go for the high crotch a lot around here for some reason. I also see people doing something similar to a half nelson but on the legs/hips rather than the arm/head. Without a cup, thats a little too close for comfort in my opinion.

4. Enemy of Evil

Enemy of Evil Banned Banned

I SHALL FEAR NO EVIL FOR I WALK WITH THE SWORD OF
    Do wrestlers want children one day?

5. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

I never wore a cup in HS wrestling OR football. I've never seen or heard of a wrestler wearing a cup and I coach the sport.
    On a side note, I wore a cup in little league and got one of my boys pinched on the outside of it. Fuck cups.

6. Diligent

Diligent Blue Belt

I don't wear a cup in wrestling and I haven't had any 'mis-haps' ... but ever since after my first day of BJJ, I ALWAYS wear a cup in BJJ. My first day of BJJ ... we practiced leg-locks (my teacher is a Sambo champ, too), and the friggin' set-up for one of the leg-locks was practically stepping your foot right near the other guys balls on the inside of the leg, so I almost had my twins crushed a few times ... it was quite scary. I kept asking everybody if I should wear a cup and everyone was saying that they didn't, but I was like forget that, I'm wearing a cup! I even made a thread about it on here a lil' while ago, haha. I'm proud to say my 'guys' have not been harmed. :)

7. IMP

IMP OBLIVION RECORDER

In JuJutsu we do some trips and/or crotch pickups too and if you are unlucky you fall onto a knee... once felt the blow on my cup and was so happy to wear it... without i woulda been dead.

8. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

I don't think wearing a cup or not wearing a cup should be a yardstick for measuring manliness. If you want to wear one, do it. Not wearing one isn't a declaration of "balls of steel."

There are moves in wrestling (especially freestyle) that could raise your voice a few octaves, but I don't think I could wear cup unless I had a pre-existing injury.

9. Diligent

Diligent Blue Belt

Ummmmm ... ok ...? Are you insinuating that I think wearing/not wearing a cup should be a yardstick for 'measuring manliness'??? ... or that I think that not wearing one is a declaration of "balls of steel"???

10. Gaylon Cooper

Gaylon Cooper Orange Belt Professional Fighter

In all my years of wrestling or coaching wrestling I have never worn a cup. Just a good pair of breifs to take the boys out of play.

11. satchmo

satchmo The Champ

I never wore one, nor ever saw someone who did. It would look ridiculous. I took my share of nut shots, you just need to man up and get over it. Although I did see one guy who had to go to the ER and have surgery for a ruptured testicle.

12. Matt Thornton

Matt Thornton Amateur Fighter

I wouldn't mind wearing a cup in wrestling to be honest with you. There are some moves and positions where you can just totally get your boys crushed.

Also, I don't want to get too graphic or descriptive with this. But let's just say, when you're smashing your hips into the ground for sprawls, or when there's a lot of action and you're belly down, it's not just your... ummm... *twins* that are in danger. I've had some PAINFUL situations where I have really hurt my umm.... *friend*. Mostly on newer, rock-hard mats. It sounds strange, but it can and does happen, and it hurts unbelievably bad.

I can't roll without a cup, though. I like to move really fast and intense and in scrambles you can really get your boys hurt. I can't confidently pass a guard, fight in the leglock position, or go for arm bars and triangles without a cup.

13. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

No, sorry Diligent, that wasn't directed at you. I used your quote to emphasize my "to each his own" stance. Peace brotha.

14. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

I had a wrestling coach in HS that went commando....scarred for life....
    *shakes uncontrollably and reaches for the liquor cabinet...*

15. Diligent

Diligent Blue Belt

Oh, ok, I was confused there for a sec.:)

16. Gaylon Cooper

Gaylon Cooper Orange Belt Professional Fighter

That is sick. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

17. monkey roll

monkey roll Green Belt

i've broken my cup before in grappling comp before, so i'm pretty glad i had it on. Now i wear the metal mai Thai cups, cause when the plastic one broke, i swear they could of cut my balls right off; they were that sharp.

18. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

How the hell do you think I felt? After I graduated I started coaching and there's no way in hell that a contact-sport coach would forget to put on underwear. That coach was either a pedophile or an exhibitionist. Either way, he's a jackass.

19. Jimmy Cerra

Jimmy Cerra Amateur Fighter

I used to not wear a cup in high school wrestling. Then I got accidently kneed in the balls. Not fun. From then onward in high school, I wore a jock strap at least.

Now during BJJ I'll wear a cup to some competition or practices or not. Depends on whether I got kicked that day or not. However, I always wear extra support in addition to my briefs.

20. Travis Trayer

Travis Trayer Amateur Fighter

I don't think you are allowed to wear a cup in wrestling. I know that you arne't allowed to in judo.