• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do we really need Makhachev vs Gaethje

Well yeah. Fans are fucking dumb and fickle. Islam and the UFC should be criticized for squandering the rematch with Volk when Gamrot was supposed to be on deck. Gaethje being outmatched if/when the fight happens is just part of the game. It's still a solid win for anyone.
I agree, i think they should've given Gamrot the shot, then booked Islam-Volk 2 for this summer and let Volk fight Topuria in January. In the mean time Arman and Olives could've fought each other.

I agree, i think they should've given Gamrot the shot, then booked Islam-Volk 2 for this summer and let Volk fight Topuria in January. In the mean time Arman and Olives could've fought each other.
That'd make too much sense these days.

I don't get the necessity behind this fight. I know they're both signed to Ali which makes this fight very easy to make but it's not an intriguing matchup whatsoever. We've seem Gaethje choke in 2 different title fights by easy submission losses. Is there any reason to think this wouldn't end the same way? He's fought 2 strikers that's it. Oliveira is still a harder fight than Gaethje, so is Arman. Even BSD is tougher for Islam than Gaethje. What's next Poirier gets a third shot? Fuck that shit GTFOH

Nope gaethje gets finished but somehow people still want to see home choked out in a title fight so it'll happen

Nope gaethje gets finished but somehow people still want to see home choked out in a title fight so it'll happen
I want it to happen just for Islam's resume. He needs to fight new people and the division needs to move along through contenders. Say whatever you want about Gaethje but he did beat Fiziev and Porier.

I want it to happen just for Islam's resume. He needs to fight new people and the division needs to move along through contenders. Say whatever you want about Gaethje but he did beat Fiziev and Porier.

and he already had two title shots. It maybe fresh for Makhachev but for us it's Gaethje vs elite grappler all over again and we know how it ends up

and he already had two title shots. It maybe fresh for Makhachev but for us it's Gaethje vs elite grappler all over again and we know how it ends up
I agree its not ideal, but maybe Fiziev should've beaten him and we'd have an intriguing matchup between him and Islam, but he blew it.

I agree its not ideal, but maybe Fiziev should've beaten him and we'd have an intriguing matchup between him and Islam, but he blew it.

I'd rather have Makhachev fight the winner of Poirier/BSD from UFC 299. At least if it's BSD we get a really fresh matchup

I don't get the necessity behind this fight. I know they're both signed to Ali which makes this fight very easy to make but it's not an intriguing matchup whatsoever. We've seem Gaethje choke in 2 different title fights by easy submission losses. Is there any reason to think this wouldn't end the same way? He's fought 2 strikers that's it. Oliveira is still a harder fight than Gaethje, so is Arman. Even BSD is tougher for Islam than Gaethje. What's next Poirier gets a third shot? Fuck that shit GTFOH
Fuck yeah i want to see Islam Gaethje.
YOu guys are a bunch of entitled Karens.

I'd rather have Makhachev fight the winner of Poirier/BSD from UFC 299. At least if it's BSD we get a really fresh matchup
I'd LOVE to see Mak vs BSD. I actually think that's what the UFC wants as well, which is why they fast tracked BSD.

Ask Sean Strickland how assuming things goes

It's just not a very compelling fight IMHO.

Is it really the best LW has to offer?

Maybe I need to find a new sport...

How are they at all interesting? Both have proven they have nothing for top grapplers. We've seem them bomb every title shot they've been given
Agreed, but somehow beating either will "solidify your status as GOAT" for some reason, lol.<Eek2.0><Eek2.0><Eek2.0>

For those who are comparing Gaethje vs Islam and using Olivera & Khabib as some comparison? There is some truth that no doubt considering he got submitted both times and didn't offer too much resistance on the ground. And Islam is on the same level in terms of grappling and submissions as Olivera and Khabib.

However!! It is worth to note that Gaethje was doing fine in those fights and had his moments. He dropped Olivera twice in the first round, in addition, he won the first round vs Khabib and landed damaging leg kicks and hard punches. He was giving Khabib problems in that fight. I think the Khabib fight is a better comparison since his style is more relatable to Islam. As mentioned Justin had success landing his leg kicks and punches. His footwork was pretty solid as well not letting Khabib set up his TD. Khabib attempted two and wasn't close and didn't land his first TD till the last minute of round 1.

I think Justin will have more success vs Islam and a better shot at winning. For one, Islam doesn't apply the same pressure style as Khabib. His more patient and a counter fighter. This will give Justin more opportunity to set up his striking game and defend TDs. Not only that, Islam doesn't have the durability as Khabib. Khabib had a great chin and was never even dropped, Islam on the other hand has been KO'd and dropped on a few occasions. Considering Islam works his stand up game more than Khabib, that alone opens a lot more doors for Justin to win. And I think Justin will also come in better prepared for Islam to defend the grappling and wrestling game knowing what he's up against.

I am personally leaning Justin in this fight by KO. 55/45 Justin by KO/Islam by submission.

If we’re talking mmath, Charles clearly beats Gaethje in the deserve category. He’s beaten him in a single round, Charles has held the title and also defended it, even beating Dustin who had a win over Gaethje at the time.

If we’re talking styles, then it’s a more intriguing argument for just Gaethje, since Islam hasn’t fought him yet.

And there’s no reason to assume khabib would beat the shit out of Charles. Khabib struggled to deal with Alquinta, and he also took longer to finish the same opponents Charles did in title fights. Oliveira can absolutely have beaten khabib, even if khabib is the more accomplished lightweight overall.

For real though, it’s too bad we didn’t ever get khabib vs Charles. Would have been pretty epic.
We don’t have to use MMA math to know how Islam and Charles plays out because it already happened. Fresh fights , it’s what the fans want.

Fine, but then fans shouldn’t complain about the Gaethje fight. If islam rolls over Gaethje I can already see many fans downplaying the win and saying Gaethje was tailor made. But if he fights Leon, he’s doesn’t defend against his own weight class. If he beats Islam again, well he already beat him he still only has a win against 1 top 5 LW. There really isn’t any way to win for Islam he will get criticized by a sub section of the fan base

Fans will downplay everything and everyone.

He's exciting.

Or Islam should have fought Gamrot and make Volk actually earn a rematch by beating a top 5 LW first.

I'm not excited about it as we all know Gaethje has zero BJJ.

That said, this fight needs to happen to maintain some level of meritocracy. The UFC keeps giving undeserved title shots to guys like Colby, Chito, and Khamzat. Deserving challengers ought to get title shots first or the rankings are meaningless.

Back