Do short people have any advantages in fighting?

MMAProfessional

Golden Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I'm 5'9 so I guess I'm not short but if I were to fight someone taller I know not to stay at range but what advantages would a shorter fighter have?

Harder to get caught in certain subs. I'm sure there are more. Every body style has advantages and disadvantages imo

The biggest mechanical advantage is a lower center of gravity, which means it's often easier to get under your opponents center of gravity to take them down. This is in MMA of course partially negated by the fact that your opponent probably has reach on you so you have to either slip punches well or shoot from further out.

Lower center of gravity, so if you're also fat you could always become a Sumo wrestler.

I'm a tall guy with long limbs and starve myself to stay in low weight classes (amateur boxing/amateur MMA) so i can flicker-jab the shit out of my opponents (among other things).
Yeah, said like that it kinda sound cheap...
but nowadays I'm mostly boxing Samoans
(I'm in New Caledonia right now, they all have that Mark Hunt/Ray Sefo body type; most of them are also actually named "Sefo")
and they are impossible the knock out so... flicker jab, flicker jab, flicker jab, dodge that angry monster hook by one centimeter, sweat, flicker jab, flicker jab, win decision =>
buy several Kava shells to my opponent to bury the hatchet because he could
seriously fuck me up in a street fight and the police doesn't give a shit about fist fights over there.

Lower center of gravity can help in wrestling. Shorter arms and stockier neck can help with certain submissions. They may find it easier to fight in the clinch with dirty boxing.

Lower center of gravity can help in wrestling. Shorter arms and stockier neck can help with certain submissions. They may find it easier to fight in the clinch with dirty boxing.

Just go do everything Joseph Benevidez does and you should be fine.

Dick punch is prob the most lethal shot

people have stated the lower center of gravity so its harder to get taken down by a taller opponent and easier for you to shoot in on them. I am 5'7 and am usually training with taller guys so when it comes to striking its best to either be inside close to them exchanging or being far on the outside of their range. If you can avoid getting hit due to being faster and counter you'll do alright

I'm 5'9 so I guess I'm not short but if I were to fight someone taller I know not to stay at range but what advantages would a shorter fighter have?

The responses here pretty much covered anything I would have said but I wonder how this went to wasteland so quick? pretty good question imo. where was it originally?

The responses here pretty much covered anything I would have said but I wonder how this went to wasteland so quick? pretty good question imo. where was it originally?
Yeah I wasn't sure where to put it since there was only striking and bjj not mma threads and I didn't want just striking advantages or just bjj advantages

Back