Do people think you have "special powers"?

i told one of my friends I could throw him with my mind

told him he had to close his eyes. Then i went behind him and did a vally drop(told him the chin on chest thing BEFORE of course)

when he opened his eyes he said BS that I grabbed him and threw him. to which I replied, did you see me throw you?

I was explaining to a nurse that I was taking friday off to go to portland to do a BJJ tournament.

She asked me if we compted with "Numb CHucks" ....

I told her .. " NO, only the higher belts compete with their "Numb Chucks."

- Rickson by Numb Chuck ...

Numb chuck = Liddell pre-dental work.....I guess you could swing his ass around by the feet

Should have told her you use a Bo staff

I also love it when the old ladies at work ask ... "OH are you going to do your little Karadee thing tongiht?"

After 7 years in BJJ I simply just nod my head and say; yep .....

you just cant explain to everyone what you do, and you just dont have enough time in the day.

Also we have a tech at my work (well two fo them) who both train an old form a Gung FU and they were practicing Chi harnessing techniques and I kinda of chuckled out loud on an accident (it was kind of rude on my part) and now the bigger of the guy always tries to start shit with me and wants me to go to a throwdown vs him. I probably need to do more chi focus work before I take this fight.

ichimonji said:
I also love it when the old ladies at work ask ... "OH are you going to do your little Karadee thing tongiht?"

After 7 years in BJJ I simply just nod my head and say; yep .....

you just cant explain to everyone what you do, and you just dont have enough time in the day.

Also we have a tech at my work (well two fo them) who both train an old form a Gung FU and they were practicing Chi harnessing techniques and I kinda of chuckled out loud on an accident (it was kind of rude on my part) and now the bigger of the guy always tries to start shit with me and wants me to go to a throwdown vs him. I probably need to do more chi focus work before I take this fight.

Harness you chi and throw a fire ball at him

I forgot what is the words I am suppose to say .... Calos Newton does it a think ... I know you press left left A- B- B- A ...

Kung Fu huh... Anybody ever sparred with someone from "the pretty arts"? They look really nice on camera but I've never actually seen someone stick to their style after getting hit. Usually turns into a slug and hug match. But then again, I've never been to a tournament, so my experience is limited, and I've only trained w/ wrestlers, boxers and BJJ guys.

Saying Jiu Jitsu is like speaking another language to people, so when I do speak of it (very rare), and someone doesn

You should just arm bar them and let them learn by experience

I also get a little disgruntled when I hear people talking about Karate, and other

Dont forget the Guy Who can knock out someone with out touching them

I took TKD growing up and you can't beat the flexability but as far as fighting, I thought it was kind worthless. I'm not trying to bash anyone's style, but I think there's a reason the pretty arts (TKD excluded, a few MMA guys have TKD belts) aren't a part of most MMA training. Thoughts???

Stupid Kung Fu action movies and there stupid impact on society.

Ah, yes - "pressure points"...

A guy at work has a buddy who studies an Okinawan style who swears he can poke you in the temple with his finger, your legs will give out and you will crumple to the ground. I asked him if his buddy tried it on him. He said it was "too dangerous" to demonstrate. ...Yeah, right...

Terrier said:
I get the impression people think it's Bullshit that woulndn't really work and that they're just humoring me to talk about it (I do BJJ but it'd be the same with any MA). Whenever anyone asks me I just tell them it's like wrestling and leave it at that as for some reason people seem to take a western art more seriosly.

So no - not superpowers, quite the opposite infact.

That's fine with me. Let them underestimate the effective styles that actually work in MMA. They'll learn a good lesson if they ever get into a fight with someone who trains.

The people who think MA gives you "super powers" will either leave you alone, or expect you to do flying somersaults or backflips when you fight them. They'll be surprised when they're on their backs instantly and they feel a strange sensation in their elbow right before it snaps.

i did kung fu for a few years and would always get the 'wax on wax off' crap and the bruce lee noises.
even my mum always called it 'karate-stuff' the whole time. it really gave me the sh*ts.

now i do BJJ. but its not worth the hassle calling it Brasilian Ju Jitsu, so i just say that i do wrestling. most people know what that it but the other day i got asked if we 'hit each other with chairs and stuff'

now i just dont talk to anybody

so I am not sure what board I was reading ..but this one Kempo guy was claiming that BJJ was inefective in real life fights. And then he claimed that BJJ has no defense for biting arteries.

I asked him to name 5 arteries that you could bite ... still got no reply.

Either there are not that many you can bite, or he just didnt know the names I assuming. Because all people who post know exactly what it is of in which they speak.

- Rickson by carotid nibble ....

Back