do other sports like ice hockey help with mma ?

WALKERmma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I play hockey and do muay thai and bjj I like mma much more but I am wondering if hockey helps with endurance stamina and toughness for mma ?
thanks

i can't comment on hockey but playing rugby league definately helped me.
mental toughness
conditioning your body to take dammage.
and takedown offense and defense.

as long as you keep moving and doing athletic activities it definitely helps with your MMA training

It does.

I played hockey as a youth, and the constant movement with all of the extra weight on you truly helps your conditioning.

Didnt help me when I first started MT. I got so used to going all out for 45 seconds and then resting in hockey. It really messed me up when I started MT. On the bags/pads, I went all out and then got tired very quickly, then a quick rest, Im good to go again.

Dunno if that happened to anyone else, maybe its just my f'd up body. lol

In some cases Ice Hockey can help in MMA

fryetakayamahr5.gif

^ It's almost like it was synchronized.

Most of you have probably never played hockey much less mastered it but believe me it helps with your combat footwork. Physical one on one battles give you training in proper hip and shoulder placement for control as well.

Hockey is a series of explosive movements broken up by aerobic actions, similar to combat sports.

it helps with your balance as well. and flexibility as well.

Football (soccer) helps you fall over and cry when haven't been hit...

Football (americano) helps with overall strength, agility and coordination. lineman are incredibly hard to move around, running backs incredibly explosive, wide receivers great quickness. to be honest any sport that requires serious training will help with mma. mma doesn't exactly require much, if any, athletic ability. just make sure you train mma as well.

Football (americano) helps with overall strength, agility and coordination. lineman are incredibly hard to move around, running backs incredibly explosive, wide receivers great quickness. to be honest any sport that requires serious training will help with mma. mma doesn't exactly require much, if any, athletic ability. just make sure you train mma as well.

That's all well and good, but after 2 minutes in the first round none of that makes up for the lack of conditioning and cardio. TUF 10 demonstrated that nicely.

MMA is ice hockey withouth chasing a puck in between fights.

wow I thaught I was wasting my time cross training ice hockey with mma and was really torn with what to do but I guess im wrong thanks.

I played ice hockey since I was basically 3 and it definitely helps. I'd say the benefits are as good as any contact/team sport. They help instill a lot of beneficial attitudes and characteristics and definitely help with your physical and mental toughness. Growing up with a contact sport makes your body much stronger later in life as well. The constant stress on your body causes it to adapt and become stronger and more resistant to injury. There's actually scientific backing on this, those that compete even in soccer (not much of a contact sport but still provides the right stress on the body) generally have much stronger skeletal systems than those that didn't compete in contact sports.

It definitely wouldn't hurt to do it casually to help. There was a thread a month or so back talking about the benefits playing basketball, general consensus was that there are a lot of actions used in it to help make a better athlete.

Back