• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do old fighters with cracked chins take better punches than the average person?

Y'all are missing the mark. It's not about having better chins, though some may, it's about how you react to being hit in the face. A fighter knows the feeling & will react accordingly. Sucker punches are a different story.

I think the question was more is there a point in which a fighters chin is so cracked that a stiff breeze takes them out. I think that answer is yes and even an absolute beginner who may react very badly doesn't get flat lined, i.e. knocked unconscious.

Wilder isn't notably strong at all, it's only pillowtap (boxing) fanboys who think is. There are multiple UFC heavyweights who have more impressive KOs (flat unconscious and not just knockdowns) than him.
strong and hard hitting aren't the same thing.
Fighting unlike most other jobs is something where having a tough chin would actually be beneficial. That's why you are far more likely to see people like this

MarkHunt_Headshot1_crop_exact.png

And less like this

main-qimg-4c41f3337eee30a5301fad8a8f248ffc

At the high levels of fighting as opposed to some office job or other 9-5. Even manly jobs like construction or miltary there's no real benefit to having a thick titanium head and neck that can withstand a lot of punishment
you must have missed the point here. OP asked if trained fighters have an advantage because they fight. the answer is still no because somewhere out there is a guy with a 1/2" thick skull but instead of getting punched, lifts sheets of drywall 6 days a week.

I know that fighters in general can take a better punch than normal people but what about in the late stages of a fighter's career, where they are dealing with cte and have shot reflexes, for example Marvin Eastman, Chuck, or Jimi Manuwa late in their careers. Do you think regular reasonably athletic guys off the street can take a punch better than they can since they don't have cte? Would those guys at the end of their careers been able to eat these punches by Wilder like Charlie Zelenoff did?

I wonder how it would go if this Zelenoff guy tried to sue Wilder? That didn't look like a sanctioned fight and Wilder hit him in the ground while the guy obviously wanted it to stop

I wonder how it would go if this Zelenoff guy tried to sue Wilder? That didn't look like a sanctioned fight and Wilder hit him in the ground while the guy obviously wanted it to stop
He possibly could have tried but I don't think Charlie has money for lawyers and is also a felon with a lengthy criminal background that has actually been charged for assaulting people, and the courts are likely to take that into consideration.

It wouldn't go too well for Zelenoff, because Wilder's lawyer would just submit hundreds of hours of videotape showing Zelenoff assaulting people.

strong and hard hitting aren't the same thing.

you must have missed the point here. OP asked if trained fighters have an advantage because they fight. the answer is still no because somewhere out there is a guy with a 1/2" thick skull but instead of getting punched, lifts sheets of drywall 6 days a week.
I am the op and no that is not what I was suggesting. I'm simply saying that on a statistical average, if you look at the guys who are competing at a higher level they are more likely to be able to take a good shot compared to other guys that work normal jobs. If you isolate it to older more chinny fighters, then that question becomes more questionable and I honestly do think that those fighters with chin issues may have even less resistance than normies on average

I’d assume the average guy has a chin like current Nick Diaz. A lot of it obviously has to do with relaxing and rolling with the punches.

For some reason Mexican fighters have strong chins
That’s just selection/survivor bias. Mexicans with bad chins probably won’t make it to the top due to their fighting style.

Like I said before prove it, right now it's theories so you need to stop spewing miss information on unproven science. Find an actual active diagnosis and I'll shut up. Till then you know what to do.
I'm gonna guess you don't understand what a theory actually is in science...

Probably helps if you didn’t take a tonne of damage as you were young/developing.

I am the op and no that is not what I was suggesting. I'm simply saying that on a statistical average, if you look at the guys who are competing at a higher level they are more likely to be able to take a good shot compared to other guys that work normal jobs. If you isolate it to older more chinny fighters, then that question becomes more questionable and I honestly do think that those fighters with chin issues may have even less resistance than normies on average
and the answer still doesn't change. fighting is not what makes a person more resistive to being ko'd. getting hit will develop a fighters tolerance to pain but the lights turn off the same regardless of whether you're heavyweight champ or a wing eating champion with the right shot.
if you need further proof ask BJ Penn how well his ability to take shots is

He possibly could have tried but I don't think Charlie has money for lawyers and is also a felon with a lengthy criminal background that has actually been charged for assaulting people, and the courts are likely to take that into consideration.

It wouldn't go too well for Zelenoff, because Wilder's lawyer would just submit hundreds of hours of videotape showing Zelenoff assaulting people.
Yeah, now that both of you mention it, I seem to remember watching videos of this guy sucker punching people?

I'm gonna guess you don't understand what a theory actually is in science...
If you are talking about CTE then yes that's still a theory/hypothesis. So maybe it's you that is confused?

If you are talking about CTE then yes that's still a theory/hypothesis. So maybe it's you that is confused?
I don't think you understand that theory and hypothesis mean vastly different things. If it's a theory in science, it's pretty much golden.

I don't think you understand that theory and hypothesis mean vastly different things. If it's a theory in science, it's pretty much golden.
No because it has to be proven lol. Lots of theories end up being proven wrong. That's why in theory it may seem like it makes sense and it will work, but reality is different.

No because it has to be proven lol. Lots of theories end up being proven wrong. That's why in theory it may seem like it makes sense and it will work, but reality is different.
You realize how many things you would acveot as factual are theories...right? Plate tectonics, germs, evolutiin, etc.

You are thinking of laws, not theories. Getting that distinctions wrong is fine, being willfully ignorant about it less so.

That's a theory paper LOL. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I knew you were mentally like a 10 year old. Always with that fake adult-like facade, I knew there was an infantile internet troll hiding behind it.

This is a very non Sherdog comment but... that seemed a bit harsh of Wilder to beat on someone like that. Didn't seem appropriate.

I dont think I would have been out cold from a punch that Ortiz landed on Liddell thats for sure.

Back