Do judges have to lock in scores after rounds?

mrwalken

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Or can they report whatever they want at the end?

For instance, say a judge scored the first 3 rounds for Gus, then saw the last two rounds, and decided Jones shouldn't lose his belt when he was the stronger fighter at the end. Would it be possible for a judge to change an earlier round at that point and/or not decide on an earlier round until the end of the fight?

It's something I've always wondered as to who supervises this. Surely the AC's have the very basic standard procedure that rounds are scored independent of each other and that judges follow this protocol. Something very easy like cards being collected at the end of each round. You would think, but somehow I highly doubt that's what happens.

If judges are actually altering their scorecards based on the progression of the fight? This is gigantically massive problem, and I'm almost certain the AC's are not on top of it.

It's something I've always wondered as to who supervises this. Surely the AC's have the very basic standard procedure that rounds are scored independent of each other and that judges follow this protocol. Something very easy like cards being collected at the end of each round. You would think, but somehow I highly doubt that's what happens.

That's exactly what happens.

I don't believe they hand their cards in after every round.

I don't believe they hand their cards in after every round.

Sorry, I should clarify, maybe handing in the cards after every round isn't the norm in all states. However there is commission oversight and they do have to lock in the scores after each round.

judging from the scorecards that I have seen (scans/pictures), there's 1 card per judge per fight.

Hmmm.... somehow I doubt someone is looking over their shoulder making sure theyve filled out their card at the end of each round. I really have no idea though.

that's what makes the 10 point must scoring system especially bad, because you really have to lock into your opinion round per round.

so one fighter winning 2 rounds where nothing really happens just barely and getting totally smashed during the 3rd, maybe stuck in a choke right when the bell rings and saves him, means that guy still gets the victory...

that's what makes the 10 point must scoring system especially bad, because you really have to lock into your opinion round per round.

so one fighter winning 2 rounds where nothing really happens just barely and getting totally smashed during the 3rd, maybe stuck in a choke right when the bell rings and saves him, means that guy still gets the victory...

Said fighter would just have to not lose two rounds; problem solved.

Said fighter would just have to not lose two rounds; problem solved.

exactly and that's the problem!

mixed martial arts is not about pleasing judges and looking good on the scorecards, it's about a fight man vs man and the guy who won "the fight" should be considered the victor.

Pride scored it the right way, the unified rules need improvement.

but it seems the athletic commissions just barely tolerate the sport, there appears to be literally no work done on at all to improve any aspect of any rules whatsoever. For years. There's just talk and more talk. (except making things even worse, like the "grounded opponent" change recently)

Sorry, I should clarify, maybe handing in the cards after every round isn't the norm in all states. However there is commission oversight and they do have to lock in the scores after each round.

They should have to hand their respective cards in after every single round in all fights regardless of what state / country it's in.

I bet they alter their cards also.

Looking at some of the judges scorecards after some dubious decisions makes you wonder.

Also, do they only judge on what they see or do they look at the live fight metric stats ?

There is an official scorekeeper for every bout. He ensures that scorecards are completed after each round & tabulates the scores at the end of the fight (this is who incorrectly declared the Mighty Mouse/Uncle Creepy fight a draw). He's also the one who applies point deductions as instructed by the ref (judges only declare the round winner/loser).

I am more concerned, based on some of these scorecards, if the judges even know which fighter is which...

Also, do they only judge on what they see or do they look at the live fight metric stats ?

Unfortunately, the UFC is stupid enough to project the in-fight stats on the big screen, and judges are not immune from looking at them.

Or can they report whatever they want at the end?

For instance, say a judge scored the first 3 rounds for Gus, then saw the last two rounds, and decided Jones shouldn't lose his belt when he was the stronger fighter at the end. Would it be possible for a judge to change an earlier round at that point and/or not decide on an earlier round until the end of the fight?

They wouldnt need to go back if that was the case all they would have to do was score it 10-8 and that would fix everything

Unfortunately, the UFC is stupid enough to project the in-fight stats on the big screen, and judges are not immune from looking at them.

That isgarbage if true.

Odds on their thoughts & opinions would get swayed by the live fight metric stats & change their opinions.

Back