Do Judges & Fans Give The Fight To Whos More Flashier Rather Than Whos More Effective

sometimes but damage and the way someone looks after the fight also has something to do with it

Damage is tricky. For a while I would've bet that it wasn't even possible to make BJ Penn bleed in a fight. (Obviously, that theory has since been proven wrong.)

However, in the case of a fight like Sanchez vs Kampmann, the damage Diego incurred was obviously a result of Kampmann destroying him for most of the fight, so should be taken into account. On the other side of that coin is the fact that if the damage was that severe, the fight would've been stopped and Kampmann declared the winner.

I'm arguing against myself. Like I said, it's a tricky issue.

One of the biggest offenders of this was Hominick Vs Garcia. Garcia was making loud noises and throwing heaters all night swinging at air while getting utterly picked the f**k apart and one judge one awarded the fight for Garcia...one of the worst cards I've ever witnessed.

don't remember the fight off hand, but I seriously doubt a judge scored strikes that didn't land. When you are sitting cage side, it is very obvious whether strikes land or not, much easier to tell than in the stands or on TV.

Look at Ricco vs. Nog. Ricco looked like he was doing shit but Nog was the actual worker and earned the points.

All the fights you listed were close and couldve gone either way. Takedowns should count but so should sub attemps. Plodding foward should not count but neither should running away. Judging a fight is tricky when you got 2 high level fighters scrapping and neither establishes dominace.

the best view is at the table cage side.

No. It's not and those put in those positions will tell you the same thing.

From a fan's perspective, you'll wanna be closer to the action and see it happen in front of you. However, it's not a good view, especially with the responsibility of judging the fight right there in front of you.

look at lombard vs tim b.

lombard gets more takedowns, stuffs more takedowns, landed 2 best strikes of the fight, was the only guy to do damage to the other. but, he lost. it looked like they gave him the fight because he pressed the action instead of giving it to the guy who did more.

All the fights you listed were close and couldve gone either way. Takedowns should count but so should sub attemps. Plodding foward should not count but neither should running away. Judging a fight is tricky when you got 2 high level fighters scrapping and neither establishes dominace.

I definitely think moving forward should count. Not necessarily count for much, but at least a tie breaker in close rounds. In fact, I would favor a return of Pride's yellow card system for not engaging as well.

No. It's not and those put in those positions will tell you the same thing.

From a fan's perspective, you'll wanna be closer to the action and see it happen in front of you. However, it's not a good view, especially with the responsibility of judging the fight right there in front of you.

I guess we will have to just disagree. For what judges need to do, I can't think of anywhere else I would rather be sitting to judge a fight. I wouldn't mind a monitor, but I really think cage side is the most effective spot.

I think intent is too heavily judged in MMA.

A guy could miss 20 punches in a row, but if he looks mad and alpha while he throws, he usually is ahead on scorecards.

What's more important...intent...or no intent?

I mean if one guy is coming forward, and throwing punches....and the other guy is backing away constantly...

who really won the fight if that's all that happens? The guy that tried fight, or the guy that tried to run away?

I think intent is too heavily judged in MMA.

A guy could miss 20 punches in a row, but if he looks mad and alpha while he throws, he usually is ahead on scorecards.

Bravo Sr.

Rampage vs Machida as an example.

Bravo Sr.

But if a guy is backing up with his arms in the air all karate kid like he's just being "elusive"

Back