Social Do food expiration dates really matter?

Obviously it doesn't go bad when the clock strikes midnight like Cinderella. It's more of a ballpark guide. The people who say to evaluate it yourself are correct, but I wouldn't go past a few days.

I err on the side of caution... Except for milk products, I don't play games with expired milk or really meat.

I think it does at some point, but hey, let’s do the Pepsi taste challenge

I actually find them to be pretty accurate

I can taste the difference especially stuff like eggs, Cheese, Milk Meat and Fish. But stuff never expires on my watch. I buy food once a month 350 to 450 Dollars depending on what i get and it have food for the whole month. If it doesnt i have cans of peas and beans and so on.

I can taste the difference especially stuff like eggs, Cheese, Milk Meat and Fish. But stuff never expires on my watch. I buy food once a month 350 to 450 Dollars depending on what i get and it have food for the whole month. If it doesnt i have cans of peas and beans and so on.

You eat cans of peas and beans for a meal?

The amount of additives and stabilizers in the US a loaf of bread doesn't go off for weeks. the only thing I check the date of in a store is milk.

My wife throws out food as soon as it hits the expiration date or even the best by date.

It pisses me off. I understand milk or dairy products, but she'll toss bread, crackers, chips, even ramen noodles. Bread can get stale but you can still use it for french toast or something as long as it's not moldy.

We're always fighting about it.

She acts like the date on the package magically turns the food to poison on that day.

She’s probably saved your life.

God bless that dear woman.

The dates are useful when you’re buying groceries for the week. If you’re buying for tonight’s meal, just go by look, feel and smell.

The dates are useful when you’re buying groceries for the week. If you’re buying for tonight’s meal, just go by look, feel and smell.
Just like you would a one night stand.

I'm drinking some wine that a chick left in my refrigerator before the turn of the century.

A "Best Before..." is date isn't the same as an expiration date. Many people get them confused.

best before bad after

I just happened to pour out some bagged popcorn that is like 5 months past best by date and it's still ok.

I know instant ramen, even though dry and not much water in it, does taste extremely funky if too old. Maybe nuts too.

Dried cranberries look a bit diff and texture maybe diff, but seems ok to eat. Not so sure about moist unrefrigerated prunes, which might have been the cause of extreme dizziness once.

Hershey's choco syrup for ice cream seems ok after several years in frig. Almond milk in the frig with big air gap inside the carton can go bad quick.

I have one emergency MRE maybe 15 yrs old I should try eating as a snack so it doesn't go to waste.

One Ton Chips if past best by date might give stomach issues. Tastes sorta ok, but...

Why do you have 27 year old jelly in your fridge? How many new fridges and jelly transfers into new fridge have you done, possibly one more new home in said jelly jars life?

Dairy/Egg/Meat: Yes
Vegetables/Fruit: Eye/Nose test
Things I keep in the pantry: I don't even look at their expiry dates unless they were dug up from a forgotten corner.

Obviously it doesn't go bad when the clock strikes midnight like Cinderella. It's more of a ballpark guide. The people who say to evaluate it yourself are correct, but I wouldn't go past a few days.

I err on the side of caution... Except for milk products, I don't play games with expired milk or really meat.

Yeah don't fuck with milk. Your nose tells you with that anyway, I usually sniff it if it's just before use by anyway, sometimes it can go off a day or two early.

Back