Do feel sorry for people with massive school loans that complain they can’t pay it back?

Sakuraba is #1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I don’t. Why should I feel sorry for someone that knowingly chooses to major in a useless degree because it’s their dream and then they’re stuck with +$100 grand in school loans and can’t find a job in said field? Why on earth would someone study linguistics, liberal arts, drama and theater, philosophy or fashion design just to name a few? These are the same people that want student loan forgiveness or for the tax payers to bail them out. What did they think was going to happen? Didn’t their parents talk some sense to them? College is only necessary if your going for the following degrees:

Medical
Law
Engineering

Everything else is a waste of time. I know far too many people with useless degrees that aren’t even working in the field that they went to school for and end up with school loans that they’ll be paying for the next 20 years.

I would feel bad but my doctor always seems to bring this topic up during rectal exams.

Or necessary if you don't know the difference between your and you're.

Mine is about to start kicking in.

Hello bankruptcy

No, I don't feel sorry for them, but lol at saying college is only necessary for three degrees...

I still have $30k in student debt and I don't feel sorry for myself. I agreed to take those loans knowing good and well that I'd have to pay them back. With all of this talk about cancelling student debt, I don't even necessarily agree with doing that. I would however, be okay with them getting rid of the interest on the loans. I would be able to pay back the principle twice as quickly.

You know, not sure if its a Canadian thing as much as the US. I have a coule friends with $50+K debt but not into the $100+k range, so no.

No..... It cost money to better your future in this country. If higher education was free it would devalue a college degree, and another form of paid higher education would be formed.

I don't think everyone needs college though, you can do a skilled trade, or many of other ventures. I also think college is basically a scam but you need a degree to get a lot of jobs, so it is what it is.

I still have $30k in student debt and I don't feel sorry for myself. I agreed to take those loans knowing good and well that I'd have to pay them back. With all of this talk about cancelling student debt, I don't even necessarily agree with doing that. I would however, be okay with them getting rid of the interest on the loans. I would be able to pay back the principle twice as quickly.
Yup.

The interest is going to fucking destroy me

I just posted about this in the war room. Why should the tax payers have to pay for some dipshit to live in a dorm and party for 4 years? I think their degree being worthless or not is a moot point. Community college and affordable universities exist for a reason. If you can't afford the expensive 4 year university, then you have no business being there. The same way you have no business buying a 500k home or a brand new BMW if you're making minimum wage.

I got a Masters Degree with ZERO student debt. I also served in the Military for 8 years, used my Tuition Assistance to knock out most of my credits while I was in then got out, banked some BAH while all my tuition was paid for by the GI BILL.

bUt teh Oil Companies and evIL Corporations control dah Military and just used you for teh profffiitssss!!1!1One.

Edit: So to answer the question proposed in the thread title, No i dont feel sorry for anyone stupid enough to get suckered into massive debt for a degree that will not open a pathway to paying the loan back in a reasonable time frame (while not becoming a burden so severe they are forced to live in their parents basement and voting for Bernie Sanders)

Last edited by a moderator:
no, not at all. Mainly b/c the GI Bill exists and has for decades
I had loans, then joined the military under the Student Loan Repayment Program, then used the GI Bill to obtain Two Master's

I also work for the Federal Government, which has a Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (granted you have to be employed, and make 120 consecutive payments to qualify, but still hahah).

I’m with you on this. Almost 30k for me too and that would be a huge help

I don't. The military paid for my bachelors and is helping me pay my masters. I feel great.

No, I don't. They get nothing but cold stares and contempt from me.

You borrow money, you pay it back with interest. That's how the real world works. It's called being a fucking adult.

What is the purpose of post secondary? To prepare you for the real world. Well, I can't think of a better lesson for someone to learn than to PAY YOUR FUCKING BILLS/DEBT.

All you hear is people whining and crying about student debt, and how it should all be wiped out and tuition made free. Go fuck yourself.

How about we start teaching kids that a loan ISN'T FREE MONEY, and that going to post secondary IS AN INVESTMENT IN YOURSELF. And like all big investments you're going to make, you should research it before you jump in.

Students who went into post secondary with knowledge and a realistic plan are not the ones who are struggling with debt. It's the dipshits who went in like "heeeey, my buddies are going here so it'll be so cool man we can live on a dorm and get drunk every night! And I'll do Chinese philosophy or something easy and then someone will give me a sweet ass job in 4 years!" Those are the people who are racked with student debt.

I don’t. Why should I feel sorry for someone that knowingly chooses to major in a useless degree because it’s their dream and then they’re stuck with +$100 grand in school loans and can’t find a job in said field? Why on earth would someone study linguistics, liberal arts, drama and theater, philosophy or fashion design just to name a few? These are the same people that want student loan forgiveness or for the tax payers to bail them out. What did they think was going to happen? Didn’t their parents talk some sense to them? College is only necessary if your going for the following degrees:

Medical
Law
Engineering

Everything else is a waste of time. I know far too many people with useless degrees that aren’t even working in the field that they went to school for and end up with school loans that they’ll be paying for the next 20 years.

Exactly.

The only reason someone should get an arts degree is if they plan on using it to pursue further education (getting into law/medical/etc school, becoming a teacher/professor, etc).

The main reason anyone should be going to post secondary is to improve their job prospects coming out. If that isn't the goal, they're fucking stupid and deserve to live in debt.

not very many people are strongly financially educated when theyre 16-18, often when these decisions need to be made. nor do they understand the value, or lack thereof, in certain degrees from certain institutions.

even moreso when you skew this population to be that of those who's parents cant afford to fund their tuition, and who didnt win merit based scholarships.

to some degree, i can empathize. you dont blame a tiger raised in captivity for not training its instincts when you throw it in the wild and it gets killed.

on the otherhand, i pretty much dislike most humans so fuck em.

I don't 'feel sorry', but I think it sucks that college is 4 times more expensive than it was when I went--10 times more expensive than when my parents went.

Any college degree is a 'gamble" and by making it more expensive makes it harder to 'gamble' on career paths that are less likely to pay off.

The result is that we'll end up with more lawyers and finance whores than sociologists, artists, and historians. And the world will suck because of it.

Back