Do chops actually work?

ga_ninja

Whopper or Die
@purple
Reaction score
Can somebody theoretically karate chop your carotid artery for a KO?

OiIuo3.gif

well you can just slap someone's neck and disrupt it so yeah. It's not a guaranteed ko reaction but it happens

They have to be pretty off guard but there's your answer.
Worked well for that karate instructor vs pimp in a real life situation

A punch, kick or even chop to the neck is no fun!

As I understand it, your carotid sinus controls the blood pressure in your brain. If you press or smack it hard enough, it thinks your BP is like 4 million over 80, so it shuts it down. Wiki expands a bit:

Carotid sinus reflex death is a potential etiology[5] of sudden death in which manual stimulation of the carotid sinus allegedly causes strong glossopharyngeal nerve (Vagus nerve is for aortic arch baroreceptors) impulses leading to terminal cardiac arrest. Carotid sinus reflex death has been pointed out as a possible cause of death in cases of strangulation, hanging and autoerotic strangulation, but such deductions remain controversial. Studies[citation needed] have also suggested that the carotid sinus reflex can be a contributing factor in other mechanisms of death by reducing blood pressure and heart rate, especially in the elderly or in people suffering from carotid sinus hypersensitivity. A carotid massage can also possibly dislodge a thrombus, or some plaque. This could lead to any number of life-threatening effects, including stroke.[6]

A smack won't kill you, but as far as I know most police departments aren't allowed to use rear naked chokes because doing it several times in a row has resulted in deaths.

my training partner got involved in a fighting situation and put a random guy to sleep with a karate chop to the neck. My friend was like a skinny 16 years old and i was impressed.
we train krav maga (deal with it)

I remember Igor Vovchanchyn karate chopping someone on the back of the neck back in the NHB days. Then again, Igor Vovchanchyn could probably sneeze and knock someone out.

Close your fist and it goes from shuto (knife hand) to tetsui (hammer fist) have hammer fists worked in MMA? On the ground yes but from standing no one uses them.
I don't know if you can KO to the neck but slam their temple like you are taught to and I believe it is effective.

The OP is lame but knife hands are legit when used in the right circumstance. It's just another tool in toolbox. Not every tool is used in every situation when building your house.

The OP is lame but knife hands are legit when used in the right circumstance. It's just another tool in toolbox. Not every tool is used in every situation when building your house.
How is seeking knowledge lame smh

"Karate chop" works just fine if it hits. But no halfway decent fighter would be caught by one in a regular fight situation. But that is ok, because it is not a tournament technique, so it is not intended to be used against a seasoned fighter in a square go situation (two prepared fighters who start at a given signal from safe distance). Its a tool for a different task.

Back