Do Chael and GSP have it wrong?

TS I don't see your point. Are you saying that fighters shouldn't pace themselves? Pacing slows them down in the beginning of the fight and speeds them up in the later part of the fight.

Overall higher pace, at the sacrifice of a slower start.

The all out go for the finish approach can lead to success also, but it will catch up with you eventually.

I'm not suggesting that guys go berserk the whole time but there is a big gap between pacing yourself so you aren't helpless later and counting down the clock to make sure it goes 25. Generally guys attack in bursts. Trying to outlast the other guy is valid and so is trying to finish so I posted Chael's argument and said that it isn't necessarily true that you have to go all 5 rounds and if you can still go work out after 5 rounds, you could have given more.

[YT]VML0vBKqU4g[/YT]

Does this seem ridiculous to anyone else? They don't expect you to go hard for 25 minutes, you decided the fight was 25 minutes. You can get out of there in 1 minute if you finished it then. The extra rounds are there in case you couldn't finish in 3 and only guys going for decisions would think they are expecting you to go 25 minutes. Can we not all agree that saying "they expect you to fight for eternity" when there were no time limits would be stupid? The point is, 25 minutes is when they cut you off, not how long they think the fight should go. Does Chael's argument seem silly to anyone else?

I know the video is old and am not posting it as news, just a discussion of fight duration.

I agree with Sonne to some extent.

Look at Cawrin & Lesnar.
Carwin burned out and had nothing on the second round.

Perhaps if he maintained a different pace, he would win that fight.

That holds true for a lot of fights that you could analyze as the person trying to put someone away and then having no energy and losing.

Now, that's not to say they should not capitalize.

For instance, on Kos & GSP, I see no reason for GSP not ending the fight on the second/third rounds. Kos was beaten and had nothing to offer GSP. yet GSP preferred to keep doing what was working and did not run any risks.

So all in all, he should have ended that fight. And overall you are correct. Fighters should try to end the fight whenever possible but some "play it safe" and does not do that.

So both sides (extremes) are wrong IMO.

Don't burn yourself out. But try to end the fight whenever possible.

yeah one of the most successful athletes in MMA with tons of endorsements and a cut of the profits is totally doing it wrong.

boxing commisions need to die off and new MMA Commisions should take over already, re-vamp the judging/judges, get PED's straightened out, and just bring the system up to date with better MMA knowledge

Judges should be required to have min 10yrs training in one or more disciplines of Martial Arts as well as been a competitior either amateur or professional currently or the past.

Chael's points are pretty basic and make sense, imo.

Judging by GSP's bank account, I'd say he's got it right.

and i take it that you're getting a cut?

it amazes me the amount of mma fans that defend gsp's style of fighting. it's as conservative as it gets, with little risk taken and damage done, and all his fights end in decision. but then these fans come back and say that we should look at his bank account, or his sponsors, or the chicks he bangs? are you guys living vicariously through his life or something?

give me a fighter who actually tries to end fights, instead of one who's content to go to decisions all the time.

Last edited:
321_georges_st-pierre_vs_carlos_condit.0_standard_352.0.jpg

gsp_penn_2.jpg

Koscheck%252C+Josh+%2528swollen+right+eye+courtesy+of+GSP%2527s+left+jab+at+UFC+124+noncloseup%2529.jpg

jon_fitch-300x289.jpg

_tgeorgesstpierre51_display_image.jpg

Makes sense, but they can't do 4 rounds unless they add a potential 5th in case of a draw.

what about your opponents gameplan?

Oh you mean the guy that prepared for a fight but instead became a victim of LnP, jabfest, and point fighting? This is not the Ultimate Round Winner Championships.

the only finish that matters is the ref raising your hand

if you have 25 minutes and you STILL couldn't finish the guy.

something is wrong with your gameplan(s).

"wrong" is a subjective judgement using whatever criteria you make up.

Most people would use the criteria of winning to determine if something is working or not. It's much less subjective.

Amateur boxing is fantastic?
Chael and his stories...

GSP should just try to finish as hard as he can? Then he'd gas and lose a decision. Why was Shane carwin never hw champ.

GSP has the most WW title defenses for a reason.

I'm not suggesting that guys go berserk the whole time but there is a big gap between pacing yourself so you aren't helpless later and counting down the clock to make sure it goes 25. Generally guys attack in bursts. Trying to outlast the other guy is valid and so is trying to finish so I posted Chael's argument and said that it isn't necessarily true that you have to go all 5 rounds and if you can still go work out after 5 rounds, you could have given more.

Of course you don't HAVE to, but it's an effective strategy.

You suggest that if you have energy remaining at the end of the fight means you could have given more is correct, but it also implies that it would be more effective to do so.

That is not clear cut.

The objective isn't merely to last to the end. The objective is to maintain an advantage over your opponent by having more energy than him.

Even if you have energy remaining, you have to maintain that advantage. Spending it all could put you at a severe disadvantage.

It's not like a race, where if you have enery left you should have gone faster.

"wrong" is a subjective judgement using whatever criteria you make up.

Most people would use the criteria of winning to determine if something is working or not. It's much less subjective.

Ah yes, by exploiting the severely flawed Unified Rules instead of actually creating a gameplan to put fighters away is definitely working or not.

Ah yes, by exploiting the severely flawed Unified Rules instead of actually creating a gameplan to put fighters away is definitely working or not.

I gather your criteria for 'working' is entirely based on if you finish the guy or not. That may be what you personally want, but that isn't the sport.

I gather your criteria for 'working' is entirely based on if you finish the guy or not. That may be what you personally want, but that isn't the sport.

You know what else "isn't the sport"?

Entertaining the fans that pay their hard earned money for an exciting fight.

Back