Disrespect towards the ground game (in a MMA magazine)

RobT

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The UK MMA magazine "Fighters Only" (Ian Freeman is editor) recently called Vitor Ribeiro a "boring" fighter after his win over Jean Silva at Cage Rage 13.

What is that about?

For those who haven't seen the fight, I'd say it is about the best fight I've ever seen live. Ribeiro destroyed Silva. He totally outclassed him on the ground.

How can an MMA mag be calling one of the top lightweight fighters in the world a boring fighter, just because he doesn't stand and strike?

The sport really doesn't need this. I understand it from people who have no knowledge of groundwork, but surely MMA mags shouldn't say that sort of shit?

Your thoughts?

RobT said:
The UK MMA magazine "Fighters Only" (Ian Freeman is editor) recently called Vitor Ribeiro a "boring" fighter after his win over Jean Silva at Cage Rage 13.

What is that about?

For those who haven't seen the fight, I'd say it is about the best fight I've ever seen live. Ribeiro destroyed Silva. He totally outclassed him on the ground.

How can an MMA mag be calling one of the top lightweight fighters in the world a boring fighter, just because he doesn't stand and strike?

The sport really doesn't need this. I understand it from people who have no knowledge of groundwork, but surely MMA mags shouldn't say that sort of shit?

Your thoughts?

There's plenty of folks that know and love the ground game that think Ricardo Arona is the most boring fighter in the history of Pride. I can't comment on the Shaolin/Silva match, but I know I've been dissapointed in plenty of grappling matches, and while folks will flip out and say "You just don't understand the ground game! You just don't appreciate all the subtle things he was doing!", I have to tell them "I do understand, but no, I don't appreciate it... I pay to be entertained, watching someone posture and stall for 20 minutes or hang off the guy for 45 (Royler in Pride 1) is not exciting. I can say 'Look at the hooks he's using, he's like Spider-Man!' with the Royler match, but by fifteen minutes in, I was like 'DO SOMETHING... You're COMPLETELY OUTCLASSING this guy, FINISH HIM!!'"

Knowing someone can tie their opponent in nots, but watching them unwilling to take any risks and actually do it is not exciting to some people, whether they know the ground game or not.

There was no stalling, at all.

"Shaolin" got the takedown, ended up in guard. Went for a kimura, Silva defended it, to an omoplata, Silva defended it again, to an armbar, Silva again defended. Then Shaolin almost took Silva's back, but ended up getting a side choke (head & arm triangle, whatever) which Silva resisted until the time ran out.

2nd round, Shaolin quickly regained the choke he had at the end of the 1st and finished him.

I agree, stalling on the ground can be majorly boring (as can any stalling, see Lutter vs. Eastman) but there was no stalling here at all and the criticism from the magazine just seemed to be focused around the fact that Shaolin doesn't look to stand and trade, but instead takes it to the ground straight away.

A lot of people just don't like to watch the ground game because they do not understand it. Cage Rage gets the same kind of redneck audience as the UFC, the people who boo when the fight goes to the ground. I would not worry about it.

MMA is still in it's infancy in the UK and the emphasis of cage rage (and in all likelyhood UK MMA magazines) is gonna be on fighters who like to 'stand and bang' as opposed to guys who have really slick transitions between subs

that mag is probably trying to appeal to the type of punters who watch cage rage etc

I did'nt see the fight, but plenty of the guys I know whent there and they said the fight was amazing, so I picking them over fighters only :)

I bought the magazine yesterday, but I haven't had time to read the articule about cage rage, but unfortunately I would'nt be surprised with that, there critics to fights are usual ver striking orientated, even though the last issue tries to give the general public an aproach to wrestling... it is a little anoying when they speak a lot about coleman, but then forget to putt kerr and hughes in the picture :)

RobT said:
There was no stalling, at all.

"Shaolin" got the takedown, ended up in guard. Went for a kimura, Silva defended it, to an omoplata, Silva defended it again, to an armbar, Silva again defended. Then Shaolin almost took Silva's back, but ended up getting a side choke (head & arm triangle, whatever) which Silva resisted until the time ran out.

2nd round, Shaolin quickly regained the choke he had at the end of the 1st and finished him.

I agree, stalling on the ground can be majorly boring (as can any stalling, see Lutter vs. Eastman) but there was no stalling here at all and the criticism from the magazine just seemed to be focused around the fact that Shaolin doesn't look to stand and trade, but instead takes it to the ground straight away.

Sounds like that match was awesome. I dunno where they get off, then. I was just offering my own view, as I've had guys that are white belts or don't even really trian tell me "you just don't 'get it'" when I say I didn't enjoy a match, but that sounds like something I'd have loved, like Bi Nog vs. Henderson.

I just read the articule! it's amazing, they just destroy shaolin, saying that he will never make it to the big shows because his style is to boring!!!

I'm never buying that shit magazine again! it's all about promoting freeman...

kimurense said:
I just read the articule! it's amazing, they just destroy shaolin, saying that he will never make it to the big shows because his style is to boring!!!

I'm never buying that shit magazine again! it's all about promoting freeman...

I couldn't believe it either. I was totally shocked by every word.

The magazine is pretty shitty to be honest, I probably won't buy it again.

That fight was weird, they didn't even show it on television overe here on one of the sports channels.

Big Red said:
That fight was weird, they didn't even show it on television overe here on one of the sports channels.

What was weird about it?

Back